Inviting you all to participate in the 2nd Annual Spring Handmade Postcard Exhibition – March 2024

Just wanted to give a heads-up to all artists, crafty people and those who occasionally dabble in creative postcarding – here is another challenge to create and share your handiwork with the entire community!

This year the Spring Equinox comes on Tue, Mar 19, 2024, 11:06 PM in the evening. Let yourself be inspired by the idea of Springtime, which has historically been associated with some important themes: growth, creativity, new beginnings, opening up and so on. Plus, this year, dragons! Any of these can be your inspiration. Get your creative juices flowing and this exhibition will open on the 19th.

How this works:

1. Cards can be made using any medium – paint, drawings, collage, needlework, hammered metal, you name it.
  2. I will start a fresh thread or edit this one and call it “Welcome to the 2nd Annual Spring Handmade Postcard Exhibition – March 2024!” starting on Tuesday March 19. (Note - the link is now up at Welcome to the 2nd Annual Spring Handmade Postcard Exhibition – March 2024 )
  3. You guys reply to the thread with photos or scans of up to 5 homemade cards, consistent with our theme. These should be cards which you have not entered into any of our previous Postcrossing Exhibitions. Let each card be a separate entry and include any description you care to provide.
  4. I will also set up a Lottery to announce/invite all Postcrossers to come enjoy the display
  5. For the week, Postcrossers can “heart” every card they really like.
  6. At the end of the week, I will choose the 3 most popular cards as 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Each of these winners will receive a card matching their preferences – and lots of likes from Postcrossers everywhere. Sorry - only one prize per person!
  7. At the end of the week, I will save the top cards in a (virtual) gallery.
    Let me know below if you are considering entering one or more of your creative efforts.
    Until then, may you each be inspired!
17 Likes

I’ll be away during this time frame, but I will pop in to check out the creativity that weaves through this thread. Such a terrific idea again, @TwasBrillig! :bouquet:

3 Likes

This is my first year in Postcrossing and I am loving it. I was delighted to see this post, as I enjoy making my own postcards and receiving hand-mades too— and then I felt disappointment when I read that this will be competitive. Having led and participated in many group art activities over the years, I have seen how having "judges "or “most popular” can inhibit participation and cause an “I am not good enough response.” Why can this not just be an exhibit of handmade postcards?? Love your idea in every other way!

I thank you for your opinion but respectfully feel different.

Some people are put off by the idea of competition; others are stimulated by it. It is not an official Postcrossing event, simply one that I devised and manage as a volunteer for the enjoyment of the participants and the community. Since the stakes are extremely low - a postcard from me is the prize for the top winners - and we have now held this competition 3 previous times (Fall and Spring) with no one seeming the worse for wear, I am continuing on this path. We would welcome your participation, but understand if you prefer to sit it out.

By the way, there is already a format for sharing your handmade postcards without any competitive element. It is the thread entitled Show Us Your Handmade Postcards and you can get to it using this link: Show us your handmade postcards and Mail Art - #5545 by nediam_nori But even here, people can “like” the entries or not, so there is some collective judgement in an informal way.

7 Likes

Yes, Ill enter a postcard. Fun! Cant wait to see the entries too.
Patricia aka Sanddunebunny
California USA

2 Likes

I think it’s great that you are doing this as a volunteer. We will just have to agree to disagree. But I wish you well.

3 Likes

Fun! I love making postcards and will post.

2 Likes

I think one card per person is fair……

1 Like

Oh, I must have missed the heads-up! I really appreciate you sharing the link in the Show us your handmade postcards and Mail Art thread, by the way. That’s how I come here :blush: Too bad I only noticed the post now, I feel inspired this year! Well, I am still going to make a card and if it’s too late, I’ll share it in the other thread. Thank you for running these, they are so much fun! :heart:

1 Like

This topic will be closed, because it’s not necessary to have two topics about the same thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 11 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.