I suggest that moderators can register cards

You absolutely don’t have to though :wink: Many of my postcards to Russia expire but they do arrive later. Even those where I gave up hope haha. I have had maybe 3 cards fall out of the system (travelling for 365+ days) so far, that’s 1%. But you know the statistics too. I never resend official cards by the way.

7 Likes

I have mindset that it doesn’t penalize the senders as the Postcrossing algorithm works that funny way that you might get (a lot) more cards than you have send. There is a whole topic about that.

2 Likes

But you still don’t know that this is the case. They might not have any other cards travelling to them, it might just be yours, and it never arrived. Lost cards are a fact of life, in both directions.

Postcrossing monitors accounts that seem not to be registering cards - if a person has an above average number of cards not registered, they will be contacted.

You don’t need to police this, the team already is.

9 Likes

Does an inactive member, even if there are no traveling cards to them, get a reminder to come back to Postcrossing? Nudging members to log in once in a while sounds sensible to me. It also somewhat reduces the guessing (card being lost or sitting there not being registered).

Also, I don’t think there will be persuasive justification for the system to register a postcard without the recipient’s permission (unless the account is deleted based on some policy). The case where the system registers outstanding cards upon a change in address lets the recipient make the choice.

2 Likes

I think it is a wise choice for the website to automatically register the postcards sent by others when the user has not logged in to the website for a long time.
First of all, the number of postcards received is related to the number of postcards sent. I know that for a new user, the system will make the number of postcards he receives slightly larger than the number of postcards he sends, but this does not mean that any postcard sent by the sender can be ignored.
In addition, the loss of postcards is indeed an inevitable phenomenon. However, unlike the uncontrolled postal system, we can easily see how long the recipient has not logged on to the website. If he is still interested in this website, even if he does not receive a postcard, he will plan to send a postcard, right?
I heard that the website will not assign the addresses of users who have not logged in to the website for a month to other users. But everyone who gives up this game will have this first month. I have only sent 17 postcards so far, but two recipients have been offline for more than one month, and one of them has been offline for more than three months. I sent two emails to ask if they still planned to receive postcards, but no reply was received.
I think that the offline of the recipient is not the responsibility of the sender, and the consequences of the postcard not being registered should not be borne by the sender.
If we consider that the recipient may have important things to do, so there may be no free time to log in to the website for a long time, then we can extend our waiting time - ten months, or 365 days. But I hope to see my postcard registered at the end.

4 Likes

This is exactly what happened to me once.

I have taken multiple breaks during my time on Postcrossing, even as long as several years, but I have always registered every single card I have ever got, because that is fair for everyone and I agreed to do that when I created my account. I never “just left” or lost interest altogether, I just wanted to take a break (and I have always come back as you can see :grin:). However, this one time when I got back I noticed that while I was away, a card had been registered even though I had never actually received it. That’s why there’s one “received” card missing on my postcard wall, and it makes me a bit sad as I would love my wall to be complete. Not a big problem of course, and I can see why the card was registered by the team - but that’s a good example why I don’t think it’s a good idea for the system to register all cards automatically (as a general practice) when someone stops logging in. Of course it’s a good idea to do that if it’s obvious that the member is not doing their part - for example if there is an exceptionally large amount of expired cads traveling their way. But sometimes cards really do just get lost, even to those who no longer log in, and it doesn’t mean that those members aren’t trustworthy nor that they’re breaking the rules by not registering their cards.

That is also why I don’t like the idea of deleting inactive accounts automatically after a certain period of time. Of course it’s ok to do that if there has never been any activity on the account to begin with, but many active members (myself included, as I explained above) sometimes decide to go inactive for whatever reason, and they might very well get back one day. In that case it would be disappointing to see all the profile data and cards gone. :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes

I like the way you are thinking.

3 Likes

Here’s my advice:
1、Unblock Chinese users;
2、Shut down all (yes all) users who have not sent or received any records within 60 days. And automatically registers all postcards sent to that user.
3、Shut down all (yes all) users who have not login within 60 days. And automatically registers all postcards sent to that user.

If a member has not logged in for more than 60 days, their address will not be given out to receive a postcard.
Discussions on why the profile isn’t closed by postcrossing have been around as long as “ghostcrossers” were, so I am not going to go into that.

13 Likes

The admins are trying to find the fairest and wisest solution for everyone, as that is what they have to do. I would also be disappointed if suddenly my address is suspended from the website for a while, but on the other hand, considering that there are many users who are waiting for their cards to be registered, I think admins did what they have to do. Also China is not only country that has been banned; Russia, for example, had been suspended. Now many users are seeing progress and improvement in their postcards traveling to China, which is the reason why the admins decided to open a bit of Chinese addresses to users, to see if the delay of mails has been improved. I don’t think you can blame the admins that way. There is no solution that is fair for every single user, unfortunately.

5 Likes

These user still active. I believe more user like these.

@tangqiuning

We are totally off-topic here, me included.

I am shocked, disgusted and very angry that you bring up a postcrosser from Ukraine here.
Don’t you think that with a war going on in their country they may have other things on their mind - or worse ?!

10 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :warning: Temporary mail suspension to China

(post deleted by author)

Save your cheap sympathy.
I send a card to this user in Jan. Long before the war started.

You’re being very rude here. The war started in February, only month after you sent a card. Considering traveling times from China, that is not long at all.

11 Likes

I don’t blame Admin.
And I didn’t think it would take so long to Korea.

Ok! My mistake. I apologize.

@tangqiuning

Don’t you think you are apologizing to the wrong person ?!

Deleting your rude remark to me and to the Ukrainians is a cowardly thing to do.

8 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t think so.

They are not active anymore and their address won’t be given out to someone. As @sannah82 already mentioned above that accounts are set to inactive when the person hasn’t logged in for 60 days. When you got these addresses these users had been active :person_shrugging:

2 Likes