I suggest that moderators can register cards

These suggestions make no sense. Say, a person is hospitalized due to a major illness. I doubt that logging into a PC and registering/sending any cards would be a priority for them. You are saying that all the cards sent to them should be registered even without receiving them for no fault of theirs.

To give a personal anecdote, one of my cards was sent to a Chinese member, who had not registered any mails since last Nov. They had also not logged in since I sent a card ( so last seen 4/5 months ago). Back then I was also frustrated and even made a comment on this thread.

But, she registered my card a few weeks back. Maybe she didn’t log in because she never received anything. I can only imagine how upset she would be to find that the cards that she never received have been registered. It would have been very unfair to her.

Now, my strategy is to send a card and forget about it. Maybe 2-3% of them never get registered because they never reached the recipient or the member forgot/left the PC. That is the risk we have to accept when dealing with snail-mail. To me, it is more surprising that only so few get lost.

15 Likes

My husband and my son are only active on WPD and during December (while there’s “Cards for Literacy”, where every card with German ID sent during December and registered until 28/02 counts for a charity).

The rest of the year they’re inactive, infact they don’t login if they don’t receive a card.

So they should really be shut down? For what reason? They aren’t ghostcrossers, they’re simply just active a short period of the year. Every year!

13 Likes

It really is a thing of respect. When I got depressed I quit postcrossing. I still got some cards. I will admit I registered them a few days later, but I still registered them.

It kinda sucks people quit, but then don’t take the time to register. Of course it’s also possible the person died or whatever.

I do feel like cards should get registered when the recipient does not do it. Those that are scared people will not send because it will automatically be registered. You can make rules about it.

I hate expired cards and it doesn’t happen often, but it sucks when it does. I don’t see new members we a risk by the way… I’ll send to everyone.

But it would be nice to have a safety net.

1 Like

It’s also possible that the recipient never received the card. How will one know?

It’s part of the game.

And you never should forget that also cards to you will go lost. Would you like to see a card on your wall that never arrived because it was registered automatically? Maybe you will be very disappointed because it’s your favorite postcard.

7 Likes

Life is one big dissapointment for me, so I doubt it would make a change… Actually things would be more aligned, if that happened.

Of course a card can also not arrive. I realize this is possible. However if it’s registered automatically that person gets a card back which makes him or her happy.

That is an accusation, for you do not know at all, whether they received any cards in that timespan.
What if the person set their account to inactive for that half year or was elsewhere or the mail stuck somewhere like in China right now?

2 Likes

I just keep this column empty. Once the card expires, it doesn’t matter - I simply forget them. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Your comments here and your profile’s extensive list of demands betrays an attitude that the only thing you care about is what you can get in return.

Postcrossing is about connecting with others. It is not here to serve the wants of stamp collectors, and much more than expired cards it is attitudes like yours that ruin Postcrossing for all of us that are here for the right reasons.

Cards sent to closed accounts are already automatically registered. Most inactive Postcrossers still register cards they receive that were sent before they became inactive, or they risk having their accounts closed. So as previously stated by others what you’re asking for is a pretext to have cards that were never received registered anyway.

12 Likes

I have this card traveling to 3-4 states away. I sent it out 22 days ago, and I look at his profile and his last login was also 22 days ago. He has 5 sent and 3 received. I sure hope it makes it to him, but I can’t help but to expect this card to become one of my expired.

Yes, I think we all have this type of situation at some point.
That’s only three weeks though.
Are you suggesting this should be registered by moderators?

The admins have thoroughly explained the logic behind the temporary suspension to China. I won’t repeat what has already been said dozens of times.

Also, the suspension has been lifted now as the situation improves.

10 Likes

No, I’m not suggesting it. I like that the spot opens back up after expiration and things still even out.

I just was stating what way I think the card is going to go.

Absolutely not. Like many others, I have taken breaks from postcrossing, sometimes for a few months and sometimes for a few years. To come back to the site and find my account deleted would be more than upsetting - life happens, things happen, people take breaks. Removing users who haven’t logged in for a mere 60 days would do nothing to “improve” Postcrossing. Those accounts do not have their addresses in the pool for sending, so it is not as if they are being sent cards.

9 Likes

I know, but if you need months or year to taken breaks, you should set your account inactive. When you ready come back, your account still there, you just need set active again. Or login one time in every two month. I am sure you still register card even you in your break time, right?
My suggestion only for the accounts no login, no send, no receive in two months, and still active. Many websites use this method to solve the problem of zombie accounts.

Accounts are automatically set to inactive after a time of inactivity. Any account that has no log ins, no sends etc for two months would be automatically inactive.

7 Likes

I agree with your suggestion. Many users have not logged in to the system for more than 6 months, and probably will not log in again :sleepy:

Addresses are not given if the addresse has not logged in for thirty days or more. So you won’t get the address of a member that hs not done anything for six months or even more.

Edit: Timespan corrected.

2 Likes

I thought the address wasn’t given if the user hasn’t logged in for 30 days - an even shorter time. Have I got that wrong?

5 Likes

Maybe I am wrong and the time is even shorter.

1 Like

It is in fact 30 days!

4 Likes