Hard to Please?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m new on post crossings. What surprised me was when I requested my first 5 cards and 2 men wanted cards of naked women. I would hope they don’t post them on the website. Needless to say I wouldn’t send them, I’d pick something generic.

2 Likes

I think that person may not be sure about how to formulate her thoughts in English. I hope she tended to say that she would send a thank-you message with a few kind words about every postcard she gets. But I guess everyone does so.

1 Like

People like different things and this is OK. As discussed here before this website is for adults, children must be supervised on this side so these people can upload the picture of the postcard if they like.
I don’t get these requests often so it is a huge coincidence you got two profiles with this request. You don’t have to send such cards. I don’t keep them in stock either.
People like different things and in some cultures things are accepted and in others they are not. Is it not nice to learn how different people and cultures are?

8 Likes

Lately I got I think four members in row, who liked nude or erotic. It’s very rare. I was thinking how strange this would feel if it happened to a new member, I would have thought what is this place, even though I don’t mind nudity in general. Like @Robinchen wrote, it’s just coincidence. I have sent nude men cards but I just don’t like such cards myself.

Frontal nudity is removed from the gallery, if someone reports it, but otherwise nude, it’s ok. It’s good the gallery photos are so small you can just not look at those and what I’ve seen it’s mainly beautiful normal people lookin people.

Sometimes things appear in groups, it can go a year until you get a nude card liker next. If you don’t like seeing such cards, maybe also then don’t look what cards they received or sent, and send some card, and hope they don’t have it already.

2 Likes

Hi Samantha. Welcome to Postcrossing, and to the Forum. It’s true members share many different interests on their profile, but since you are the sender, you can choose whatever you wish to send. I think it’s unusual that you happened to draw two members who both had this in their profile in your first round of cards…
If you’re interested, here’s some more forum posts about this topic, as you can see, there’s plenty of discussion. Hope this is helpful.

4 Likes

I’ve been at it a couple years now and today I got the pickiest profile I’ve seen yet. Like you said, it had a list of 18 things they don’t like. And the tone was demanding, insisting that it be written a certain way, and that if it came in an envelope it must be blank and I should send tea. Of course, there were about 20 categories of things they wanted - but only a couple of those were cards I had, and it went on to say that I must check their link to make sure I didn’t send a duplicate.
The way the profile was written took a lot of the fun out of it, and I do know that I don’t have to meet demands, but I found one that I hoped just maybe they would like, and after addressing it, I couldn’t think of anything to say - and I’m usually pretty creative. My message ended up being something like “hi - hope you like this - it’s had many likes from others; have a happy day”.
Then I came to this thread not so much to whine about the profile - I’m sure there are a few like that - but to ask: what kind of message have you sent to this type of profile before?

10 Likes

That can be hard when there doesn’t seem to be anything in common with their profile. When that happens to me, I write about the weather, or about my city/region. Or I ask them questions, if I can think of some related to their topic(s) of interest.

5 Likes

I have sent blank cards in an envelope to the two who wanted them. Neither of them is registered.

3 Likes

Yes, but also sometimes AD company cards or free gallery cards. I often find so cool ad cards. Some cards which are Most often favorited at my send wall are ad cards.

5 Likes

And sometimes such cards are even liked by people, who state “no ad cards please” on their profile.

5 Likes

What I write? Something nice or about my plans. Or if the profile really troubles me, I write the address and ID, put it aside for a day and write it them. Some distance often help.

8 Likes

Exactly :smiley:

2 Likes

I discoverd a new strategy for myself. I send a card to demanding profiles and tell them in the text that their profile is not d’accord with the PC guidelines. Sometimes people really did not read the guidlines and than they actually change something. And Sometimes they just register the card without a thank you.

4 Likes

I try to remove them from my mind and treat it more like writing to myself with one of the things they like as a prompt. For example, if their request list included birds, I’d say something like:

I like birds too — around here we see X X and X. My favourites are…

And, if all they list are card brands, I’ll tell them about my collections:

I also collect postcards — my collection is based around themes, mostly temples, cats, and postboxes! Do you also like special postmarks? I love requesting them and (im)patiently waiting for them to be sent back to me! It’s always so exciting when they arrive!

Or:

I see you collect postcards! I collect X. I got into it because X and my favourite is Y.

Of course, it’s not always easy to want to write a nice message to someone with a profile like that, but I don’t want them to rob me of the joy of writing a postcard so I usually pick a card, address it, and then walk away and come back to it once I’ve had some time to separate myself from their profile and write something I’ll enjoy writing (without re-reading their profile in detail :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:).

14 Likes

Honestly I would just be like : “Hello, hope you’re doing fine and happy postcrossing !” lol :joy: Those kind of profiles are bothering enough…

3 Likes

I’d read this as saying they prefer tourist photo cards showing cities, nature, animals, bridges, trains, boats, cars, monuments etc which is at least 50% of postcards sold in shops

3 Likes

I got a profile this morning from a stamp collector, who wanted me to put my written card in a stamped envelope to send so that she wouldn’t have to cut up the card to get at the stamp for her collection. I thought about it for a while. I also collect stamps, but for me, Postcrossing is about spreading good will, card by card, not about collecting.

So how did I solve my little problem? I sent this person a card that’s meant to be cut up, so that they won’t have any guilt about destroying the card in order to collect the stamp.

25 Likes

That moose is funny!
One nice thing about US mail is a card going overseas costs the same to mail as an envelope. I can put a bunch of large size or lower value stamps on the envelope that dont really fit on cards (I used to have a monthly stamp subscription and got too many 3 and 4 cent stamps). I often put a penny stamp on the card itself just to help make it look more complete

8 Likes

I think that comment was regarding the international rate.

4 Likes