Forum message limits

There should be a little black pencil next to the message subject! Do you see it?

NO, I’ve seen it not.
But I will look again. One moment please.

OMG.

Yes, I found it.

I have only looked in the Editor. How embarrassing!

Many thanks dear Ana.

1 Like

Not at all — it’s something so small, it’s definitely easy to miss. I’m happy to have helped! :slight_smile:

1 Like

NO, I’m such a blockhead.

I have changed the headline of Topics several times - how stupid one can be :see_no_evil:

No, I’m not a blockhead.

I can only change the headline of messages that I have written by myself, but not those that are written from others.

You’re so funny, dear Bille! :joy: :joy: :joy:

At the moment I’m not funny but depressed, because I have no possibility to send 50 address lists on Sunday, which have a correctly formulated headline.

It’s not really a big deal, but it annoys me.

Sorry @Bille — I didn’t realize that it was only for the messages you had started yourself. I’m going to send you a message about this, and let’s see if we can work something out.

1 Like

Thank you dear Ana.

We have increased the max personal messages per day setting from 30 to 50. Let’s trial this for a while to see how it fits everyone while keeping an eye on any misuse.

8 Likes

Thank you, Paulo!

@paulo and @meiadeleite I’m just sending out addresses for my RR.
The last 4 hours I have send 20 new messages and 17 answers to a message .
Now I can only answer to a message, but I can’t write new ones.
So it seems that the new message limit is not 50 but 20 :unamused:

P.S. Before that I wrote the last new message 2 days ago.

Aaaaargh. :confounded: This seems like a weird forum bug to us. These are the settings involved:

Judging by the error message, I think the limit being triggered is the number of new topics per day, and not the limit of new messages. In Discourse, messages are topics in their essence… but if two different settings exist for these, then they should behave accordingly.

We’re going to report this issue and check what they say.

4 Likes

Just to keep everyone in the loop, the Discourse team has found the issue and is working on a fix.

The fix however may take a while to reach here — only when we upgrade to the next stable version we will get it.

If someone struggles with this bug&limit and can’t spread the messages over 2-3 days (or use the replies trick) as a temporary workaround, please get in touch so we can look for options.

3 Likes

Happy to report they already wrote a fix for this!

As I said, this will be part of their next stable version which we’ll upgrade to once released. AFAIK, there’s no official date, but I expect it wont be too long from now (maybe weeks or a few months at most).

4 Likes

Please help - I can’t send messages :frowning:

@paulo, @meiadeleite, @mundoo
Hello dear administrators,
I was the winner for WOTM February and I run two Monthly Writing Groups and other (TAG) Topics.
Now there were many messages with new addresses for the WOTM March winner
and new monthly addresses to the writing groups and so on…

I am writing this way because I can no longer send messages.
It has been blocked by the programme :frowning:

Can you please unlock me for the messages. Unblock me for more emails so that I can send the new monthly addresses properly. Surely there is this function for the short term - I hope so.

I would be grateful if you could help me.

edit:
It’s done now - the blocking time was limited. But it is not very pleasant for me as a host if I now have to experience this every month. Is there a solution for this problem?

Best regards and stay healthy!
CaWe

2 Likes

I’m sorry about that. I’m afraid there’s no solution, as we don’t feel comfortable raising the limits even more at this point and risking spam… :frowning:

Maybe just letting the people know you’ll be contacting over 2-3 days will be fine too, as a workaround? We hope that’ll work!

3 Likes

I was hoping for a short-term expansion - but it’s really important to be careful here.
It was the first time it had happened to me, I plan to send out addresses in the future right away on two days.
No problem! Thank you very much, @meiadeleite and @paulo that you have thought about it. This is mental support for the volunteer work here in the forum.

1 Like

Hi, I’m sorry if I’m not asking this is the correct forum but I wanted to ask what the limits were for sending messages to other postcrossers. Looking at this it looks like it should be 20-30? Is that based on the number of cards you have sent? I have sent 172 cards, so still quite new but can only send 7 messages a day. I have messaged, and been messaged by a few people for direct swaps but then find I very quickly run out of messages if I reply to them. Should I be able to send more or is this the limit and if so when does it increase? Thank you for your help.