Forum message limits

I second this. Maybe for large RR hosts, they can be classified into a special group which will raise the limit of sending messages?

1 Like

If there is no other way to do it at all, that would be one solution, but not a really good one for me.
This would mean that I would be busy sending the addresses for several days because not all participants are online every day resp. can be online every day.
But I much prefer to do it all one after the other - with little breaks when I can’t see
numbers and names anymore :wink:
But yes, at least it would be a solution.
Thanks a lot dear @maleko for your hint :+1:

1 Like

Our understanding of the max personal messages per day setting is that a message to 20 people counts as 1 message towards that limit. I understand that this doesn’t address all cases and we are ok with increasing it some.

That would be ideal indeed, but it’s not an option I’m afraid. The limits are for all accounts.

The limit wouldn’t be temporary, but ongoing. Not just for you, but to everyone.

80 is a significant increase from the default of 20 messages/day. Is that 50 individual messages for the RRs and 30 just for other occasional messages? All on the same day? How often does this happen, say, in a month? Just trying to get an idea of how common this is.

Please know that I want to help here and this will be increased, but it’s also my goal that we minimize potential misuse so we need to try to strike a balance.

2 Likes

@paulo
As I had already written, it only happens once at the beginning of the month that I have to write 50 messages.
80 was a fictitious number - I rather don’t think that I will write 30 messages in addition to the messages to the RR participants. On the contrary, I will probably get by with the 20 messages a day .
And actually, I knew anyway that it is not possible to increase the number of daily messages so extremely just for me, even for a single day of the month.
But I just wanted to address the problem here at least.
But now this means that I have to divide the sending of the addresses into 3 days or I choose the variant suggested by @maleko
Neither of these options really satisfies me.

2 Likes

Ha, flash of inspiration.
I just have to do it the first time like maleko suggested. In the coming months I can use the old messages again. Is that right? I think so.
:ok: problem solved :+1:

3 Likes

And for newbies, you can use the message where they sent you their address

2 Likes

I took would run into a problem as the number of November Alt RR participants is already over 50.

As I know you make 3 groups for this RR.
In each group every member writes to every member.
So you can send for each group one group message .

1 Like

Cool :sunglasses:, thanks :blush:!

How many are there?

Are there many like these?

I think exact amount is 55. But Bille also reminded me that I will be sending three group messages, so hopefully this will help keep me under the limit.

1 Like

This might work indeed, if the limit is per new messages per day (and not for replies). Please report if you find otherwise.

Nonetheless, we might still up the limit since the trick may not be obvious/known to other hosts.

Would a round 50 be helpful to the vast majority of the cases? Thoughts on this number?

2 Likes

Yes, I think 50 per day would be very helpful and reasonable.

Brilliant!

Also brilliant! I love how this new platform facilitates brainstorming discussions like this. :smile:

4 Likes

Paulo, I believe a limit of 50 would be sufficient in most cases. Thank you for talking this through with all of us!

1 Like

This won’t suit everybody, but if needing to send a large number of messages, you could time them to go in batches either side of when the limit re-sets.

So send 25 at 23:55 and 25 at 0:05, and then you still have 25 messages for other purposes on each day (this is presuming the re-set is at midnight, it may be at a more inconvenient time!).

I have not double-checked, but I suspect it checks the number of messages in the last 24h, meaning, there’s no exact time for a reset of a counter.

As I said, it concerns not only tags, but all of the private messages that I could send. Do you never send friendly messages to other members? Don’t you hear from them? All types of private messages are restricted, not only address requests for tags.

1 Like

Yes, I understood that the limit encompasses all manner of messages. I only meant to suggest that you might find it convenient enough to spread out your Forum activity rather than having it spike on one day, so that you would still have enough opportunity to send many friendly greetings. In the rest of my comments to you I also admired your resourcefulness in finding another way around the limit. These “workarounds” seemed to me fair concessions to make, when weighed against all the legal and other concerns the Postcrossing team must contend with in structuring this Forum for our use and pleasure.

At any rate, it seems likely that the limit will be increased to suit your needs, so it’s all good.

And yes, despite my blundering ways I’ve somehow managed to send a few friendly messages to people in the Forum, and even to hear back from them on occasion.

4 Likes

Nearly all 50 Participants have send me a message, but now I find no way to change the headline of those messages.
Have I overlooked it or is it really not possible? :unamused:

Yes, 50 is much better than 30.