Empty Hurray messages

I looked at the supposed profile in question and understood everything. In the very first lines. Perhaps that’s why they just registered your postcard without writing anything. Recently, the photo of the postcard I sent was deleted by the user, as well as many received that day. Although a message was written to me in which I did not like one sentence, and I wrote to them about it. Therefore, do not be surprised and accept it as it is. There are very few of them, and mostly they send words of gratitude and pleasant wishes. And for that I
I am grateful to the postcrossing world.

8 Likes

Send him a message and tell him about your feelings.

3 Likes

Not saying thanks may be discourteous, but Postcrossing does not require it. Members are only required to register a card they receive.

Like others have said, there are a lot of reasons for a missing hurray mail.

In your case, maybe something went wrong with the envelope? The recipient has uploaded every other card including those from your country (so I don’t think it’s about his political stance).

Based on what nation OP is from as well as another user on this thread who had a similar experience, i think the recipient is reacting… politically to current events.

2 Likes

@Amazon_Veleta

I looked at his profile and then remembered that I have sent him a card two years ago and got very nice registration message.

About his profile, is it possible that you have misunderstood it? Because there is nothing that indicates asking for something else than postcards. He only writes that “If you wish to use an envelope, please feel free to include surprises.”

What comes to the registration message we do not know if sending it as empty has been accident. You can ask him and tell how did it make you feel.

1 Like

@Amazon_Veleta I think that you should not be too distressed or feel guilty. You did the right thing and put your heart into it! I would advise you to write him a message, just to ask him what the receiver thought of your efforts. And don’t get discouraged! You are a wonderful postcrosser, and this disconcerting experience should not discourage you!

2 Likes

So I recently sent this user a card, and was sent a blank hurray message. Then the next day, he messaged me and apologized for leaving it blank. Maybe it is something similar?

In the US, we have a system where the postal service emails us photos of the expected mail for the day. For postcards, that means you can see the whole message and the ID on the email. He had told me he had registered my card just based on that email, but then the mail was delayed and he did not receive the card until the next day. I’m not sure if the same happened with you, but could be possible.

3 Likes

Don’t worry.Maybe someone needs time to translate. Maybe someone is very absent-minded (me for example).I try to register the card faster to reduce the waiting time for a new card for a person. And I write my wishes later.Many newbies don’t know about the hurrays.Good luck!

2 Likes

@Amazon_Veleta

Ask him / her why he / she not write anything. That is the easy way.

2 Likes

Although I really wonder, would it be possible someone join postcrossing and not knowing the word “thank you” :thinking: I mean I understand many postcrosser are not English speaking person. They may not be able to tell stories or details about the cards or themselves. But just the word “thank you”? really? buy hey I can be wrong :sweat_smile:

Maybe the user needs some time to find the right words. It can be very hard to pretend that things are normal when they are not.

6 Likes

@Amazon_Veleta - Some people recommend writing to this person, but I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s best to just move on. Remember that you put your heart and effort into what you sent. Don’t be put off by a lack of “thanks”. Sending a message to this person may not be a good idea. Imagine that you did not have time to type a message, and still want to register the card as soon as possible. Wouldn’t the message from the sender asking for showing some gratitude be a bit intrusive? Also, maybe that person really preferred to write nothing rather than write something unpleasant. I’m not saying it’s ok, but let’s remember that the members of Postcrossing are just people. On a website about hobbies and connecting people, we shouldn’t add fuel to the fire. A message to the recipient is not necessary.

@Inesainesa - You should report the message if it was against Postcrossing rules. Sadly, there is nothing the sender can do about deleted photos after the card was registered.

10 Likes

So on a site about connecting connecting adds fuel to a fire? That sounds strange!

I’ll take going without a message over members who take several days to acknowledge a card, which is difficult to deal with when you’re new so every one counts towards the next additional slot.

1 Like

I’ve had the situation twice that I didn’t recieve a thank you message. Personally, it doesn’t bother me that much, but I don’t believe it’s due to language barriers, since both profiles were written in perfect English. On of them didn’t seem interested in postcards at all, only in stamps. But I can only speculate. :woman_shrugging:

Some years ago I didn’t wrote a thank you message either. But I just recived a printed photo, not a card. And the sender was refering to my country as ‘Hitlerland’, comparing all Germans with nazis. I wasn’t thankful at all. This one just made me feel uncomfortable. And somewhat sad.

Sorry if I put it wrong. It made sense in Polish :sweat_smile:. I guess some things are just “lost in translation”. I wanted to emphasize the purpose for which Postcrossing was created and the fact that it has been decided not to treat any nation differently on this website. That’s all.

2 Likes

I guess the sender can travel in time. That must be cool :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Yeah, Maybe. :joy:

I just wonder if a simple question fuels a fire, if it is asked honestly and politely and not as Putin admirer vs. admirer of the Ukraune soldiers.
Perhaps it is a good way to oversleep the matter and then to decide if the curiosity is worth to ask the question.