Empty Hurray messages

9.9 times out of ten I get a wonderful Hurray message from the recipient, but every now and then…nothing. Just a computerised message that the card has arrived and has been registered.

It’s really not a Big Deal, but I have never understood this. When you’re registering a card, there’s a very obvious panel right in front of you, to type something…anything… to the sender. It only takes 2-3 seconds to type ‘thank you for the card’.

Could this be a cultural thing, or a new-person-doesn’t-understand-the-protocol thing, or a just plain bad manners, thing?

I know this doesn’t matter, and I’m not “worrying about it”, I just wondered what others thought.

76 Likes

It’s all of this, with technical issues as another option too …

11 Likes

and not knowing English as another option…

30 Likes

I once received an empty message, but recepient added the card to their favourites. And the card was written in Russian, the language me and the recepient both speak.
I can only guess, may be they never receive hurray messages on email due technical issue :thinking:

6 Likes

Some time ago I get two empty hurray messages, but both recepients added comments to postcard, and thanked me on that way.
I wondered why they not simply write the thank you in on go with the registering of the card?

10 Likes

I think in the most recent case, it’s that one. Which makes me ask another question: how is the main website translated from English into not-English? It must be, or they’d never register in the first place. And having a not-English translation of website, doesn’t that translation carry over to the Register a Postcard page?

I’m not going off-topic (!), I’m trying to understand the ins-and-outs of my original question.

1 Like

Well if you’re using Google Chrome as Browser you can easily get every website translated!

6 Likes

, and not knowing Google Translater…

5 Likes

…but that doesn’t translate the Register a Postcard page?

1 Like

I can’t say that I mind. I assume there is a reason and carry on. Maybe they are busy. Maybe they have broken their arm. Maybe they have too many cards to do.

I don’t think there’s much point in forcing out some generic thanks, that if anything is worse than no message.

36 Likes

It does, but not the text you write in that panel.

2 Likes

That doesn’t apply in the most recent case (I really don’t want to get into specifics and name-and-shaming), and

No one said anything about “forcing out…generic thanks”. :puzzled: Me, I’d rather have “generic thanks” than no message at all!

5 Likes

I wanted to ask about empty hurrey messages once, and then I gave up…because I was confused. Is that hard to write just abbreviation ty ( only 2 letters), I will know that is thank you :smiley:
First, profile to whom I sent postcard was empty, second when I got Hurrey msg also was empty.
I started to think that I sent postcard to a bot. He or she is an old member (sent lot of cards), so I think there is no chance he or she doesn’t know how to say thank you.Maybe it was technical issues…I will never know. And yes, profile is still empty. :scream_cat:

7 Likes

I leave the Hurray!-Message empty, when the sender did not make up his/her mind, neither about the card nor about the text. That might have happened less than ten times out of more than 4000 cards I received.

5 Likes

It doesn’t happen often, but in two cases I noticed later that the cards were mailed by children.

6 Likes

Sent, surely?

1 Like

I completely feel you! I get that actually very often! And I feel even a bit offended because I spent time to pick the card according to user’s profile and write a nice message, decorate the card and then I get nothing in the message when they register it. I do think it’s just bad manners.

24 Likes

Received, for I write the Hurray-Messages for the cards I get.

2 Likes

Are you sure it’s not a technical issue at your end? Some email services actually truncate messages for some reason.

Personally, it’s very rare that I get an empty hurray message. And when I do, I really don’t think too much about it. It’s easier to just move on.

5 Likes

I get messages from other members as Hurray and regular messages as well, so it’s not a technical issue.
But I am not that surprised because sometimes I even received completely empty cards with just ID on them and my address.
I don’t think much about it but I do consider it rude.

11 Likes