Discussion about Meetup cards

@sannah82 something else I was not even aware of…how cool is this…

cheerio

@mdmsamm - You live and you learn! Those cards weren’t a thing on my first meetups!

1 Like

Hi I hope you guys don’t mind me me asking a question in this conversation. When you make meet up cards do you design them yourself or do you get them professionally designed in made

If you get them professionally made can you you recommend someone or a business to go to who professionally make some

At some point in the future I hope to attend and my first meet up and if not I will organise one and even if it’s just a couple of people that attend that’s better than nothing

Thanks in advance

Craig AKA jaggy thistle

i’ve never tried getting a company to design the postcard itself as i imagine that costs might start to build it with that type of service.

i think most people design them themselves? postcrossers are a creative bunch! and with websites like canva and software like photoshop, is really easy to throw something together in and to have a nice design. i think with canva you can get them printed straight from the website too, although i’ve never tried this service before.

if you’re not sure about designing one yourself, sometimes people ask will ask/purchase permission to use photos or artwork and place all the meetup information on that image and get them professionally printed either online or locally.

I made my own and brought them to be signed.

@mdmsamm I have some meet up cards I can swap with you, if you’d like. You can also add to your profile that you’d like to receive meet up cards. :slight_smile: Same offer, @JaggyThistle !

1 Like

@mere5oh that would be delightful, love to see your designs…and I am also a graphic artist, I design the majority of my cards too.

Cheerio

2 Likes

Hello from Sweden
I do not understand what you do at a meetup?
Where do I get an adress to send someone a card if my traveling cards list is full? What do you mean when you say that you bring cards for people to sign?
Best wishes from swedishforest

You can find the answers in here:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/meetups-guidelines-request-for-feedback/194661/17

7 Likes

I have already read the guidelines, that is why I asked, because I do not get them. My traveling list is full. How can I send someone a meetup card?

You can arramge a private swap or offer to send meetup cards for members.

Next time, before a meet up, maybe keep some empty slots so you can send official cards from the meeting, if that’s what you would prefer

1 Like

Thank you, now I understand :slightly_smiling_face::sweden:

Once you get to know more porstcrossers you can also send them a so called RAS (random act of smileness I belive it stands for but if it does not someone can correct). This one is a card you send out just to make someone happy without expecting something in return

1 Like

You can also have some of your cards signed at the meeting, leaving enough space for a short message, and then send them in the following days when you get some open slots on you travelling list and require a new address :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is why I was confused. We didn’t mail any cards at the meet-up I went to. Everyone had all their meet-up cards signed so they could send them to penpals and as officials later.

I am hosting a meetup in May 2023 and it will be at a postcard and stamp show.
I was thinking of making the postcard…postcard themed :joy:
I’d love any and all ideas to help me create this card!

Right now this is what I am thinking:
The front of the card matte finish with a depiction of the back of the card… and doing the signatures/Postcrossing stamps on the front. The right side will have the Postcrossing logo and meetup location info like this:

POSTCROSSING (logo)
Meetup, 27 May 2023
Denver Postcard Show
Aurora, CO 80016

Doing the signatures/stamps on the front will give the sender space to write on the back, but I’m still not sure about this idea! One of my worries is the mail sorting machines will get confused. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Any meetup cards that I have received all the signatures have been on the back. It seems to be the normal thing.

Though I am sure someone who has designed a meetup card, or has been to one, will be able to give you better advice :slight_smile:

If this is printed on the right side of the postcard’s front, I’m afraid that the sorting machines could be wanting to send the cards to Aurora. As there’s no stamp on the front side, I imagine the card then will be hand-sorted, which will cause delays.

And there’s a risk that the signature ink stamps won’t take on the front side as the paper usually is treated with some kind of finish that will risk to leave the signatures smeared and ugly. :confused: I was on several meetings where even the writing side proved incompatible with some of the “jucier” ink stamps, causing stains on all cards, and I’m sure the side not designed for writing won’t be better.

One of the the fun things about Meetup cards is their front part, with a photo or illustration matching with the Meetup theme or place. So honestly I’d be deceived if there wasn’t a picture on the front, also as people whom I send it to might not like this kind of card.

And a last thought - I wouldn’t want to show the signatures in my Flickr collection album, for privacy reasons that seems somehow wrong to me… :see_no_evil:

I’m really sorry to rain on your parade, but I wouldn’t like this idea. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I recently cohosted a meetup and designed this card with the stamping and signing in the front. I opted for a matte non coated front and back… very important. We didn’t have problems with smearing and everyone enjoyed the cards.

Good luck with your meetup!

5 Likes

I love this! Such a cool concept, I may do something like this in future meets! Thank you so much for sharing!

I hosted one meeting and the card was pretty typical with a view on the front and all the signatures on the back. I plan to do something a little different at my next hosted meetup. The front will be what it is, but the back will have a “Signatures box”, the regular stamp and address section, and a “Message box”, as well as small box for an ID, date and weather blurb. I know it’s a tall order, but I think I can come up with something… I was an Optimization Engineer for 23 years - now I’ll finally have something FUN to apply it to! :laughing:

1 Like