Crafts with old Postage stamps

Do any of you want to share inspiration for a craft project using old stamps?

I just cleaned junk out of a garage left behind after my husband’s aunt passed away (about 20 years ago) and I came a crossed a box of stamps from the 30s to mid 60s. I probably would have just given these away to someone, but since joining postcrossing, I have taken an interest in stamps!

So what to do with them? I thought I would go through them and pick out places I have traveled to, and some others that are interesting and make a passport cover.

Anyone have other ideas, maybe a box to keep my postcards stamps and pen?

11 Likes

Wonderful treasure ! Some people in the handmade tags create pictures using stamps. There is a tag called "as many stamps on a postcard’ or something like that. Others swap stamps … the possibilities are endless !

3 Likes

I have once received one of these handmade cards and it’s one of my all time favorites. If you have colorful stamps, maybe you’d like to create something like this too.

36 Likes

It’s fun using them to make new cards. I don’t have them at hand to take a picture, so here are examples I already sent out:

US-7684131

US-7824766

US-7878533

US-7793363

US-8267167

US-8221146

US-8626996

US-8333628

69 Likes

@marora You are an Artist! And a good one at that …Me, not so much. I might be able to glue onto a cover but make a design no way, not even close!

Wow you are good!

You’re kind, thank you. You can also use old stamps to decorate the backside of postcards. For example, you can stick a few stamps matching recipient’s interests

1 Like

@marora your cards are wonderful!

1 Like

@marora
I’ve seen before, but never found the artist til now! I “liked” all of them. There is also a Russian lady with whom I’ve traded before. Much talent here!

Can I ask @marora , what type of glue do you use? I’d like to try my hand at it.

Sorry off topic…

Great find! I recently did my first tiny stamp collage and I think there are lots of possibilities with collage. Like you wrote, decorating the box you keep your postcards in would be a wonderful project!

Here’s my first attempt:

@marora your cards are amazing!

50 Likes

I have made cards with used stamps and one is for the WPD 2022 :grinning:

One is with international stamps and the other is with Aussie Stamps only.

47 Likes

UHU all purpose adhesive, best glue for paper hands down. Glue in sticks will crack after some time and water based glue warps paper. UHU is the best

9 Likes

I’m not a great artist like @marora (omg, yours look soo amazing), but I make some kind of collages as well.

49 Likes

Everything you all made is so beautiful! I get a lot of inspiration from you all!

I made some cards as well, and decorated my planner and diary with it…

Cards:

Diary/planner:

43 Likes

You can also use whatever Is pictured on the stamp and incorporate it into another image. I tried to do it :laughing:

40 Likes

@BrokkoliKatze That is so cool, I’m going to try that.

1 Like

There’s so much inspiration in this thread. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas, and sharing your talent.

These are amazing!!
How are you making the shapes?
I made one with a cat by penciling a cat shape, filling the area, then putting a paper over it with the cat shape cut out.
I feel like I took an extra step. Please could you advise me?

3 Likes

This is exactly how I made them- one card having the stamps glued on and second card with the shape cut out

6 Likes

Thanks!!

@marora Do you use something like an exacto knife and cut around the shape and then lastly glue your cut out design (like the deer) on a blank postcard? They look amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like