Corfe Castle Meet-up - Saturday 19 October 2024

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Corfe Village, Wareham, Dorset, U.K. :uk:
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Corfe Castle
:calendar: DATE: Saturday 19 October 2024
:alarm_clock: TIME: 11.00 am
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: 11.00 am meet-up to explore Corfe Castle, then lunch and postcard signing/stamping at The Greyhound Inn, Corfe Village. Table for ten booked at 1.00 pm.

Address: Corfe Castle, The Square, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5EZ

Although Corfe Village is small, there is a lot to see and do. Obviously, those arriving early will have longer to look around.

Note that you don’t have to pay to go into the castle itself if you just want to see it and are not bothered about exploring it, because it can be clearly seen from the village. But if you want to explore it properly, you will have to pay the entrance fee to go into the castle and grounds. Just mentioning this in case anyone prefers to explore the village.

Corfe Castle:

Web: Corfe Castle | Dorset | National Trust

The castle is usually open 10am – 5pm during the summer and 10am – 4pm in the winter.

Please check the website for current prices, because they vary depending on time of year, day of week, age of person, whether or not you are a National Trust member, Gift Aid etc.

Parking:

Please note that this information is adapted from the Corfe Castle website:

“Street Parking in the village is limited and restricted to just 1 hour; there is a Pay and Display car park in West Street and the Castle View Car & Coach Park (National Trust) at the foot of the Castle. You can also avoid the crowds and use the Purbeck Park just outside the village near Norden (an easy one mile walk via the National Trust Visitor Centre).”

Castle View Car and Coach Park (National Trust Car Park)

Postcode BH20 5DR. 90 spaces including 4 disabled bays.

Web: Corfe Castle | Dorset | National Trust

[This car park is owned by the National Trust and I couldn’t find any current parking charges on their information online].

West Street car park, Corfe Castle

Web: West Street car park, Corfe Castle – Corfe Castle

“The West Street car park is perfect for visiting the Village and Castle, but there are limited spaces so if you cannot find a parking space you may have to park at the Purbeck Park or National Trust car park.”

Summary:

125 spaces | 2 disabled | 0 motorcycle

Pay by Cash Card Phone Online / App

JustPark location no. 7715

Height restriction: No restriction

Postcode for sat nav: BH20 5EB

What3Words ///likely.owls.outermost

Opening Times

Monday: 24 hours

Tuesday: 24 hours

Wednesday: 24 hours

Thursday: 24 hours

Friday: 24 hours

Saturday: 24 hours

Sunday: 24 hours

Norden Park and Ride car park (Purbeck Park)

Web: Find a car park - Dorset Council

Note that if the weather is decent and not wet/muddy, this is where I will be parking. You can park all day, there is a lot of space and free toilets. There is a nice, easy walk from the car park to Corfe Village. (Note that this path is wheelchair inaccessible and not advisable if you have mobility issues).

There are two ways to walk to Corfe Village from this car park:

1. Through the heritage railway station (Swanage Railway), turn left when you get onto the station platform, follow the path southeast along the railway line. You will eventually come off the platform and come to some slightly higher ground at the end of the platform*. You cannot miss Corfe Castle on your right. The railway line will also be to your right. You will have to cross the railway line near the end of the walk so TAKE CARE and follow the level crossing code when you do this. The path will lead through a field, alongside the railway line to the back of the National Trust car park on the A351. There is a set of steep steps at the end of the path, dropping down into this car park. Walk through the car park, cross the road (be aware of fast-moving traffic) and take the path around the base of the castle – please see my note below. #1)

2. Head northeast, away from the direction of the toilet block, into the overflow car park field, look slightly to your right and you will see a weathered, wooden sign pointing to a path. You will still be able to see the castle (behind you), but this path takes you through a bit of rough-ish hedgerow/field boundary. Follow the path (it’s easy to see) and you will come to the same slightly higher ground at the end of the railway platform, as per path 1 above, right next to the railway line. I prefer this path because I like walking through the hedgerow and the greenery! And it avoids the station platform at busy times. You cannot miss Corfe Castle on your right. The railway line will also be to your right. You will have to cross the railway line near the end of the walk so TAKE CARE and follow the level crossing code when you do this. The path will lead to the back of the National Trust car park on the A351. There is a set of steep steps at the end of the path, dropping down into this car park. Walk through the car park, cross the road (be aware of fast-moving traffic) and take the path around the base of the castle – please see my note below. #1)

From various places along most of this path, it is very easy to see the trains and take photos. Also, you will have an excellent view of the castle!

You could take the train from Norden to Corfe, but you will be on the train for about 30 seconds!

Those with mobility issues: Recommend parking in the National Trust car park or West Street car park.

Summary:

364 spaces | 14 disabled | 0 motorcycle

Pay by Cash Card Phone Online / App

JustPark location no. 7712

Height restriction: No restriction

Postcode for sat nav: BH20 5DW

Opening Times:

Monday: 7am to 11pm

Tuesday: 7am to 11pm

Wednesday: 7am to 11pm

Thursday: 7am to 11pm

Friday: 7am to 11pm

Saturday: 7am to 11pm

Sunday: 7am to 11pm

Car parking charges:

Up to 10 hours: £4

JustPark code 7712

Charges apply Monday to Sunday, 8am to 6pm

PLEASE NOTE THAT PARKING CHARGES WERE CORRECT AT TIME OF WRITING – PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITES FOR CORRECT CHARGES

ROAD SAFETY - PLEASE READ! 🤓👍

#1 (Aforementioned note):

Some further advice about walking into the village from either the National Trust car park (or from along the path from Norden car park which comes out at the National Trust car park):

The A351 runs through Corfe Village. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND walking into Corfe Village from the car park via the footpath around the base of the castle. Around the base of the castle, along the footpath is a pretty walk - no longer or shorter than walking along the road - but much more pleasant and MUCH SAFER than walking along the road. Cars tend to whizz through Corfe. Walking the roadway can be hairy – nearing the village, there is a steep slope, a tight bend and the pavement runs out on one side, so you can find yourself on the wrong side of the road on the blind bend of a fast road and having to walk a long way back where you just walked in order to cross safely – this route really is to be avoided if at all possible.

Postcards!!!

The below advice is based on my almost-local knowledge. Obviously, I cannot guarantee that these locations will definitely have postcards, but they are worth a look – I am certainly going to look!

Corfe Castle gift shop (address as above – but it’s right at the entrance to the castle)

Corfe Castle Model Village Gift shop (across the road, looking to the right, from the castle entrance)

National Trust Gift shop (across the road from the Castle entrance, next door but one to the Corfe Castle Model Village Cafe)

The Square
125 Corfe Castle
BH20 5DR
01929 481294

Web: nationaltrust.org.uk

National Trust Centre

This is the building in the Castle View Car and Coach Park at the base of the castle, on the A351.

If you haven’t parked here, see my note about walking here via the footpath around the base of castle, rather than the roadway.

Swanage Railway, Corfe Castle stop

Web: Swanage Railway | Family Railway Attraction in Dorset. Homepage

At the bottom of Station Road – walk down the side of The Bankes Arms pub and garden and the road ends at the station. This is worth a look, even without the promise of postcards, as they have a little museum and lovely little station building to look at. If you know any train enthusiasts, it’s worth going to take some photos for them!

Local shops - There may very well be postcards in some of the local shops as well.

Even possibly in the art and craft places on the other side of the railway station – go onto the platform and you will see a bridge to your right over the railway line which leads to access to the arts and crafts buildings, north east of the village. Every time I go to Corfe, there is something different in these buildings, so I have no idea what will be there when we visit, but if you like to explore, it’s worth checking this area!

Proposed meet-up postcard!

15/05/2024: Update below in thread - Corfe Castle Meet-up - Saturday 19 October 2024 - #17 by TeaCakesAndBooks

Please note that this is a current draft sitting in my VistaPrint basket!! I need to finalise the design and I am not an expert at this!! So I feel compelled to be transparent with you that the design may change due to any number of reasons based on the fact that I have never done this before!

But I at least wanted to show you what I hope will be the final design.

@moderator - I confirm that the required sentence of “The Postcrossing logo is a registered trademark” is printed on the writing side of the postcard.

Other places of possible interest

Churches – St Edward King and Martyr church is the large church in the centre of the village. Approximately 200 metres along the A351 (East Street), heading southeast (towards Langton Matravers) is a small, intimate-feeling congregational church, with a sweet little garden. Walk down a narrow path beside an independent jewellers called Why Jewellery. (Also worth a look if you are interested in jewellery). The church is immediately behind the jewellers.

[I am making no comment or assumptions about religion whatsoever, it’s just that many people, me included, like churches for their architecture].

Corfe Museum - in the smallest town hall in England! At the base of St Edward King and Martyr Church, nearly opposite the Corfe Castle Model Village entrance.

Corfe river – this runs alongside the path around the base of the castle. It is possible to veer off this path and walk some more along the river.

Gratitude Corner! 😊🙏💝

A very HUGE thank you to all of you who helped me out with planning this. :grin::heart: @jobloggs has been amazing with answering all my numerous questions that I have been ‘panic-PMing’ her! :face_with_peeking_eye::joy: Thank you so much - I would not be here with you. :bouquet::woman_shrugging:t3::grin:

Also to @JennyAssis who very kindly offered herself as back-up if I couldn’t produce a meet-up postcard! (I might still need you!! :face_with_peeking_eye::grimacing::crazy_face:) Thank you so much. :pray::smile::gift_heart:

Thank you @JustJo for the original excellent suggestion to meet at Corfe Castle! :european_castle: :smiley::saluting_face:

Lots of folks have been very generous with their assistance and advice and showing me lots of love, patience and kindness. :smiling_face: You made it much easier for me to be waaaay out of my comfort zone!!! :crazy_face::nerd_face: Thank you so much to everyone and I can’t wait to meet you!!! :pray::grin::gift_heart:

PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON THIS THREAD FOR ANY UPDATES OR CHANGES! :+1::grin:

Please also be gentle with me, this is the first meet-up I have planned! :nerd_face: :cherries:

Going:

1. @TeaCakesAndBooks - 20 cards
  2. @jobloggs - 20 cards
  3. @TinyMouse - 10 cards
  4. @JennyAssis + 1 - 10 cards
  5. @anon59326037 - 10 cards
  6. @geo_ - 10 cards
  7. @moonraker_girl - 15 cards
  8. @Lissy99 - 15 cards
  9. @Potatosium - 25 cards
  10. @tanzianne - 12 cards
  11. @mwntimperial + 2 - 10 cards
  12. @Intrinzica + 1 - ?? cards
  13. @MiddLin - 5 cards

[04/07/2025 - Peeps running total = 17 (Note to self: table originally booked for ten - may have to book more spaces).]

[04/07/2024 - Postcard running total = 167]

Maybe…

1. @Maddymail - 5 cards

Meet-up card swaps requested:

1. @Kaydee with @TeaCakesAndBooks to send
  2. @idus with ?? to send
  3. @Robin67 with ?? to send
  4. @reiselustig with ?? to send
  5. @livi16 with ?? to send
  6. @Zaychan with ?? to send

:point_up: Please make sure to read the Meetup Guidelines before signing up for a meetup.

11 Likes

@jobloggs @JennyAssis @JustJo @TinyMouse @Ali_caj @MoominMog @geo_ @moonraker_girl @chrisbonham11 @xxxxyyyyzzzz

Just tagging all those who helped me and/or showed an interest. :smiling_face::pray::gift_heart:

(Feel free to ignore obvs if not interested! :joy:)

:grin:XXX

3 Likes

When there is a Meetup Card, :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
please let me know. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
I might be interested to do a swap.

1 Like

Pop me down, it sounds like a great meetup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a wonderful place for a meetup!! - I have best memories from staying at Corf castle during a vacation - a pity, that I cannot be there with you, but wish you a wonderful time exploring the cute village.

4 Likes

Sign me in! My son @anon59326037 and my hubby will join us

3 Likes

Thank you for tagging me, @TeaCakesAndBooks . I’m not going to be in a position to confirm whether I can attend or not until I know my first semester weekend work commitments, as well as Saturday footballing commitments, which will be over the summer.

2 Likes

Yaaaaaay! :partying_face: So excited for this!

@TeaCakesAndBooks - wow all this information about parking, other attractions, where to buy postcards etc is absolutely amazing! You’re a natural at this! :gift_heart: Fantastically detailed info for those of us who aren’t local! :star2: Love the postcard too and I’ll have 20 please :grin:

4 Likes

@TeaCakesAndBooks Thanks so much for organising! Love the card too. Please put my name down and I’d like 10 cards please :smiley: :postcrossing: :postbox:

3 Likes

Please add me to the list - I love Corfe Castle. When I was there last November I had a picnic in the castle grounds! Some photos to whet people’s appetite

6 Likes

Would someone like to exchange one meeting card with me, if I have something you might like? A beautiful, normal-sized card of Corfe Castle would equally be appreciated! Please get in touch, thank you! :slight_smile:

I’ve been to Corfe such a long time ago! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hello :wave:
Im interested, please can you put me down as a maybe as itll all be public transport dependent. Thank you x

2 Likes

To @Kaydee @idus @Robin67 and anyone else who might be interested in a meet-up card!

Thank you for your interest. :smiling_face::pray:

I am making a list of all those who show interest in having a postcard and will sort out swaps/sends/etc at a later point when I have a better idea of numbers. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure how these things are usually done, but we can make contact at some convenient point when I am in possession of the postcards and sort something out. I hope this sounds okay! :grin:XXX

5 Likes

:face_with_peeking_eye: Thank you so much @jobloggs! I am glad it’s okay!! :smile:XXX

1 Like

Yes, that’s fine. :+1: Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@moonraker_girl Great photos!! :smiley:

@moonraker_girl has helped me out here, with sharing a photo of The Greyhound, because there is something I wanted to explain about the pub/our booking…

As you can now see from @moonraker_girl’s photos - The Greyhound is a very old building. It’s big, but not open-plan. When you go inside, it is very obvious that the original floor plan was a bunch of tiny rooms.

I have booked a table for ten, which I could do on the website, and had a message back saying they could only fit us all in a table on the outside terrace. It’s nice out there and quite sheltered. But I have messaged back to say that if the weather is inclement, we would like indoor seating and know that we might have to be spread over two or three tables due to the layout of the pub.

So just wanted to let you all know that really. :slightly_smiling_face::saluting_face:

3 Likes

More #transparency! :grin: The meet-up card….

I have put 250 postcards in my basket, at £32.95 as of this date. I think postage and packing is £4.95 - I can’t see the P&P cost clearly yet though. This will make each postcard about 16p each, if I order 250 and the price doesn’t change.

You will all know the following but will say it anyway just so my conscience is clear! This is just to give you an idea of the approximate price of each postcard. I won’t know exactly until I order them because I don’t know how many I need to order yet. :grin:

I have edited the postcard to add the date and a touch more information on the reverse, so it now looks like this:

@moderator - I confirm that the required sentence of “The Postcrossing logo is a registered trademark” is written on the reverse side of the postcard.

:saluting_face::heart:

PS - I realised that I probably should make clear that I have screenshotted the postcard pics from the VistaPrint website - the dotted line you see around the edge is a guidance feature of VistaPrint’s online design tool and will not show on the finished postcard. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I would love to receive one of these cards too :grinning: - I read your post above about your way dealing with interests :+1: - thank you for organizing and although I am sadly not one of the participants I would like to tell you that I love your attitude of transparency!

3 Likes

That sounds super to me! :hugs:

1 Like

Hi @reiselustig, thank you for your kind words! :blush::gift_heart: But I totally nicked the meet-up card list idea from @TinyMouse and her meet-up! :joy: So it’s her credit, not mine! :grin: And I have had a LOT of help from folks about this meet-up, believe me! :sweat_smile: Folks have been truly very wonderful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::face_holding_back_tears::smiley:

As for the transparency - #lifeexperience!!! :nerd_face::melting_face::joy:

4 Likes