[Chat] Pull up a stump and set a spell, pop by for a cuppa and natter

This is with repeat countries turned off! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wow - and I thought I was badly off because Iā€™ve got three travelling to Belarus and two to Russia (amidst a lot of other countries with very lengthy travel times). I hope some of your cards get there soon.

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s our lot now because quite a few countries (inc USA) still donā€™t send to RU according to the mail Monitor. Russia and Belarus are my new "Germany "

Edited to add: recently average travel times for my cards to RU are only marginally longer than to US, (quick estimated 22 vs 30)

3 Likes

Thank you - I hope so too. Most of my expired cards are to inactive users, which doesnā€™t help.

Iā€™m jealous - 48 days average for my Russian cards since September 2023 - I am glad they are arriving, though!

2 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hello All,

The British Isles section has a Round Robin, and we have some fabulous open groups at the moment and some fantastic themes on the horizon.

Please come and check out the British Isles Round Robin and join a postcard group, I am sure you will all enjoy, plus some of the postcards will be a lot cheaper to send compared to other areas of postcrossing.

Mark @Maddymail :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

It isnā€™t just the UK looking to tinker with its postal service: PostNL wants more time to deliver letters, due to lack of staff - DutchNews.nl

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just been to see this postal-themed film at the cinema: Wicked Little Letters | Rotten Tomatoes. If you see it, prepare yourselves for a lot of blue language!

1 Like

Is anyone watching the Panorama programme?

Me !

Iā€™m watching with a bit.of a delay, but have just seem the Panorama team but what look.like large letter sized envelopes with normal 1st class stamps on them ??

18 days to China with a handwritten Chinese address (and it looked dreadful!!!) :grin:

4 Likes

Just seen a hilarious PHQ stamp card that, really made me laugh out loud, and it sounds about right, lost just before Uranus!

ā€¦and I thought it was joke, but no a real stamp!

https://www.collectgbstamps.co.uk/explore/issues/?issue=205

7 Likes

Have that set somewhereā€¦ and there were some silly little airmail sized labels with silly sayings!

I have this card - happy to send it to you if youā€™d like one of your own!

1 Like

This reminded me of the video I saw online from The Evening Show with Arjen Lubach (think of it as the Dutch version of late night talkshows)

(I donā€™t understand Dutch either, I translate the captions into English and find that itā€™s good enough for me to understand it)

I laughed at the line ā€œPostNL - what you do not send is always on timeā€ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had that stamp (and the others in the set) a little while ago x

Oh wow! I had my first ever time having more than 1 postcard to the same country yesterday, 2 cards to the USA). Now I feel very lucky this hasnā€™t happened more to me

1 Like

I had perhaps my strangest ever experience posting a card today.

I travel a lot for work and often take cards with me to drop in a box I might pass on the road. I didnā€™t see any that had parking today so when I got home, I ran round to a box in the middle of town. Itā€™s one of those hole in the wall types built into the local sorting depot. Itā€™s split into 1st/2nd. (Side note, how do others post international cards in split boxes like this? I usually put economy as 2nd, standard as 1st, but Iā€™m not sure it matters).

Anyway, they collect at 5:45 and I got there at 5:30. I had two cards and put the first in the 1st slot, when I felt something grab it. I put the other in the 2nd and saw (and felt) a postal worker on the other side had grabbed the card! Clearly it was being emptied 15 mins early and they caught it before it went in the sack! Iā€™ve handed cards to posties collecting from a box before if I bump into them, but Iā€™ve never handed it through the slot to a waiting hand!

13 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

Does anyone like/grow green gooseberries? Weā€™ve only got red ones I think! Wondering how gooseberry green the gooseberries are in comparison to that new Ā£2.50 stamp!