Are your postcards reaching Russia, Belarus and Ukraine

I think we all want to send cards to Ukraine!!! Im looking forward to sending (and receiving) many, many cards there.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear, that you @Natalie_soul, had been flagged.
Maybe the post had been flagged by ‘rukiah’ her-/himself.
By the way: I would never think of blocking countries ‘out of bad will’ - you know. This idea from this member’s just unbelievable.
I myself had already had two cards that fell of the system (travelling more than one year). But blocking these two countries, or Ukraine/Russia or any other contry/island wouldn’t make any sense.

6 Likes

People send less and less mail every year. Postal systems are far from overwhelmed by private mail, like letters, postcards or greeting cards. Any private mail I receive looks like it’s been through the grinder, while the bulk stuff that goes straight into the recycling bin arrives in pristine condition.

3 Likes

I know. Still it’s not handled individually, in one place.
If one wants more individual treatment, they can send in registered mail. Here it’s over 15 Euros, so maybe this shows what it would cost to send a letter or card with more care and precision. Of insure it, with almost 40 Euros. There are options. When I leave my card and I see it ending to a large bag, with all other mail there, it’s clear it’s not treated very individually. It can damage already there, if the next one drops something heavy over it.

To me the comparison of lab work and letter/cards travelling between countries and continents is like comparing how I am not much tired laying on the sofa, but the marathonist is, and has blisters, is sweaty etc. when I’m fine, telling them they should just take better care of themselves and not sweat so much.

1 Like

In relation to Ireland and Anpost I went to the official website and I look at where you can select which countries you would like to send a letter to. Russia is not in the selection box. So yes Irish members cannot send letters to Russia according to Anposts own website but we can receive them but not send them apparently. It doesn’t make any sense. Thank you again to the Russia members who have send me a card. I will let you know once they arrive.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I have a question about sending cards to Russia.

Are these cards read by the authorities, and can their content endanger the recipient?

I would never be rude on a card, but it feels weird to ignore a war when writing to someone from Russia. Especially when they indicate on their profile that they want peace, are anti-military… Will a foreign card with messages like “I wish you peace” (I liked the thing about the peaceful sky for everyone), or wishing safety to a man of military age draw unwanted attention? I don’t want to be responsible for getting someone arrested. Having a card not arrive seems the least of everyone’s problems.

3 Likes

A Russian user from the forum is very happy about peace postcards and there is probably no surveillance in this area on the Moment.
But you never know how things will develop while the card is in transit.
I am therefore very cautious in this matter and only write something about the current situation if the user agrees - until now only here in the forum.

In that case I write something like “I loved to read your profile” and you can send another message via the profile after the card is registered.

7 Likes

So far, I have stuck to writing “Hope you are safe” at the end of a postcard (instead of my usual “Hope you are doing well” or “Happy Postcrossing” or similar greetings) in the hopes that it conveys my concern for the individual person’s safety, but is also unproblematic enough to not cause problems (if any at all).

5 Likes

It’s a postcard there’s nothing private about a postcard anyone who picks it up can read it and so go with the assumption that the postman is reading it and the nosey neighbours in a Apartment block is also reading it. You keep it to the basics. I wouldn’t be mentioning politics, religion or touchy subjects on a postcard.

7 Likes

If a message of peace on a postcard endangers a recipient, then unfortunately Postcrossing is not a safe hobby for that person. It is their decision to participate in receiving mail from strangers. I had wondered the same thing, but wondering if wishing peace or safety to another human is okay is an indication of how messed up the world is. I wouldn’t worry about mentioning peace or safety. I’m the one who posted the “peaceful sky over our heads for all of us.” A Russian teenager who publicly on their profile calls for an end to the war wrote that to me in a private message. If they can publicly on the internet share these opinions I think that’s an indication that a message of peace on a postcard to them isn’t going to have ill consequences.

Hello!
No, it won’t endanger the recipient. Don’t worry. You can write whatever you wish.

8 Likes

The postcards can be read by everyone, so if it has the Ukrainian flag or something to do with it - the recipient might have real troubles :grimacing:

BUT if you put your anti-war card in an envelope, the will be no troubles at all.

Also, I’m pretty sure that nobody will be bothered with translating the text. So if the image is neutral, it’s no problem to wish peace:)

6 Likes

Italy stopped sending mail to Russia for about a month in March, then resumed sending. I know of several postcards sent the days just before the block or - by mistake - during it, that eventually made their way to the recipient. So I think they were stored in some warehouse and then put back on the road, like it happened in some countries when they stopped mail for months due to covid.

I often write something like “peace and love” on my cards to Russia. On the contrary, I avoid openly writing of the war or sending Ukranian themed or blue/yellow themed cards, not to risk the postcard to be trashed by some postal worker or - worse - endanger the recipient. Probably I’m overthinking, but i prefer not to risk.

6 Likes

I am very happy to update the situation. All three cards are registered now. One of the recipients moved to Poland and she chose to have all cards travelling to her registered by Postcrossing and two others have received theirs. It has made me very happy to think that all three are well and continue sending and receiving postcards.

8 Likes

I currently have one expired card to Russia, this person has been online, but registers cards it seems as she gets them, so maybe it’s taking more time than usual. But I have another card going to Russia and that is a different situation. It’s almost expired on 58 days now. But the person hasn’t been online in 26 days and has not registered anything since 24/Dec/2020. I don’t know what to think of it… Has he been active/non-active or is he not registering or has he lost interest?

I have 10 more cards going to Russia and I am hoping they will get registered.

3 Likes

I’m curious if any of our Russian members have now relocated to Turkey, Georgia etc and are actively sending & receiving cards with a revised address? I think it would be nice to have more cards sent from those places!

This is not a political question but purely a practical one. The same issue is happening with post being sent to Russia i.e. it’s not getting there. Should we suspend Postcrossing to Russia until things have settled? There is no point in generating through the Postcrossing algorithm a card to be sent to Russia if the chances are that it won’t arrive. It’s costly for members. This is a constructive practical question and not intended to spark off any political debate.

My postcards are arriving in Russia. Five of mine have been registered this month. Just as, to get this thread back on track, the vast majority of my postcards to China have been registered.

1 Like

I have sent quite a lot of postcards to Russia recently, all of which have arrived at their destination in reasonable time (only 2 expired - same amount to Germany, by the way). :woman_shrugging:t3:
I.e.: they ARE getting there.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @mr100uk :laughing:

I moved the last 3 posts from Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension) to here.