All About "Repeated Countries" Option

The top country changes throughout the years. It used to be Finland, then Russia and now it’s Germany. It will never be just Germany though. Perhaps it will stay at the top for some time then a new country will take its place.

4 Likes

Postcrossing isn’t about collecting as many countries as possible. It’s about the connection between people.

19 Likes

Well, it should be said that some people have different objectives/motives for participating. Forming connections is one of the motives, but not the sole one.

Edit: I just saw this other post that gets at this idea, and I’m looking forward to reading more: So why are you on Postcrossing?

4 Likes

Yes, you’re right. I don’t have it on but get lots of addresses from the U.S. and Russia. But I don’t really mind, there’s always some variety coming unexpectedly. I guess my percentage is about 50%.

I think that the postage rate is the most important reason why there are so many members in certain countries. Germany has not raised the rate after July 2019. In Sweden the rate is raised every year, now it’s 24 sek (2,4 €).

One idea would be that every member should check the “send and receive from/to your own country”, or even better, remove this option and make it active automatically. Then every member would have the same chance of getting cards from different countries.

3 Likes

Have those cards arrived?

That was discussed recently and it’ll never happen due to privacy reasons. I think that removing the “allow to send to repeated countries” option and making it automatically applied for everyone would be much fairer. This way, everyone would simply draw the next person in line.

8 Likes

I’m happy using the send to own country option now that I’m in the UK. It’s a big place with so many people. I could go out right now dressed like a giraffe because I will never see the same person twice.

I would not agree to it if I was still in Finland. Everything is so public there and it’s too small a place for this.

Repeated countries I agree is a good thing and should be mandatory for all.

7 Likes

In the beginning I didn’t switch on the button. I wanted to sent out some cards to different countries. But the cards took to long to arrive. Then I saw that cards to Germany arrived quick, sending from my country. So I turned on the button and immediately I draw Germany, 5 times in a row! I collect cards, not countries. So for me it’s super ok to sent to the same country. It’s not the same person right!

5 Likes

I have repeated countries on for the past 25 days. Since then I’ve sent 9 cards. 5 to Germany, 3 to Russia, 1 to USA. As many have already pointed out, it is about the person not the country BUT… who isn’t excited to draw an address from New Zealand, Uzbekistan, Argentina or Africa. I know I am…
But with our postal monitor showing that we send just to 74 countries I don’t get my hopes up even without repeated countries on!

5 Likes

At the moment almost all my cards go to Germany. I don’t complain. I safe 35 cents on postage for each card that stays in Germany. Not planning on turning that option off anytime soon.

7 Likes

Once you send a card to the one user in a super rare country, you will never receive a card from them yourself! In terms of collecting it is therefore much better to send to popular countries and receive from everywhere.

4 Likes

True, but i love learning about anew place, googling more info, seeing what this person likes etc. I have both send and receive from rare places but there is not just 1 person in all of those countries… Poland, Portugal, France, Ireland, even UK, havent show up in my “to send” for quite some time

3 Likes

i got to send a card to south africa once. wasn’t really happy about it because it’s my dream to get a card from south africa. though that account is closed now so i guess it shouldn’t effect my receiving cards :sweat_smile:

Wow now I’m really confused XD so what is the best way to at least get a card from rare countries? I don’t mind to send cards to my own country but for sure I would be happy to receive from different once XD
I already feel a little bit bad that I’m one another Germany country person XD sorry for all of you :confused: I used to live in Austria but moved XD

How do you do that research? I’m total into statistics tbh XD

Patience :wink:

9 Likes

Eventhough you decide to send to repeated countries, it doesn’t affect to cards you will receive. So there is no short cuts to rare countries, it’s all about how lucky you are! :smile:

1 Like

Got it,no worries :smiley: right now, I’m desperately waiting for my first card to arrive :rofl: so way other problems :cherry_blossom::rofl:

I am a statistic nerd and do statistics of all kind of things, i.e. my own Post crossing. I use the fantastic program Excel with all it’s possibilities.
To do this research I go to Explore - Countries, then I click twice on Post cards (sent). Then you have the countries, which sent most cards. This is updated continuously whenever you open the page.

2 Likes