All about handwriting

I didn’t say that it may apply to all. We both are an older generation. When we still sent snail mails regulary she even wrote cursive herself. And when a Japanese person says that to me I have to accept that as it is. :woman_shrugging:

Until yet my cards to Japanese postcrossers weren’t a problem. Most of them commented on what I wrote so I can be sure about that and not the other person not saying so out of politeness. :upside_down_face:

Cursive hasn’t been part of school curriculums here in Canada for quite some time. So, anyone under 30 might not know what you are writing. However, some teachers teach it as it is optional.

I am almost 41 and was taught cursive beginning in grade 2. As a teacher, though, I almost always print out of habit.

Because of this thread, I put on my profile that I can read cursive. This leaves the option there for the sender to use it if they like.

@Usi

how many postcrossers are there now in Japan? and how many population are there now in Japan?

i mean, postcrossers in Japan who can understand cursive are not so many in general. those postcrossers who can understand cursive in Japan must have studied english really a lot. does this make sense now somehow?

Cursive is still taught in some places in the US. My two children had to learn it. Cursive though varies from country to country. I sometimes have difficulty reading German cursive even though I can read German.

1 Like

AGAIN…I said it is my personal experience and hers. When yours is different then I can’t argue about that with you since that would be totally illogical. So please stop too.

@Usi

excuse me, again what exactly?

illogical ?? what exactly?

thank you.

We were taught cursive writing at school, unfortunately at that time I had a broken wrist and was not supposed to write. Of course it was my dominant hand that I broke. So I never learned to make a lot of the cursive letters correctly so my “cursive” is a bit of a mix between cursive and printed. My letters aren’t all joined up and some of them I just make completely differently.

1 Like

I got a postcard. I can’t translate it. I don’t understand the handwriting. can someone help me?

@MaggieTk

yes.
just upload the photo here and show us.

I can sometimes read cursive writing, but usually it’s quite hard! As a visually impaired person it’s sometimes super hard read cards :tired_face:

2 Likes

This is the cursive style I learned in the 1990s. I was homeschooled but I think it’s similar to what was taught in public schools at the time. I never quite mastered it though, and my handwriting has become a mixture of cursive and print at this point. I like to use cursive letters for their loopiness and ease of joining letters together, but there are some letters I print because I just find it easier.

I also tend to write my 7s with the horizontal bar through them, and sometimes my 0s with the diagonal slash, especially in cases where it could be mistaken for an O.

I find the day/month/year format of writing dates more logical than the typical US month/day/year but I don’t want to confuse people so I have compromised with writing the day as a number, writing the month out by name, then writing the year as a number so, for example, 13 March 2022. I figure this way there is no confusion.

Many students in the US are no longer taught cursive, from what I understand, so younger people (20s and younger) may have a difficult time reading it.

2 Likes

No, please don’t upload it here.
It is not allowed to make backsides of cards public

Please show it here :arrow_right: Need help translating a postcard you've received?
In this Topic all posts will be deleted after ≈ 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Ок

1 Like

I always wanted to write cursive but I am not really good at it.
I appreciate good pennmanship. Sometimes I like buying old cards from eBay that are very neatly written.
This is an example od an old card I bought from eBay , the text of which, I think looks fantastic:

I’d like to receive cards with cursive or written with calligraphy but so far I haven’t received any. :pensive:

7 Likes

Since you are from Japan I’ve got to ask you why every Japanese card that I’ve received looks extremely neatly and uniformly written??
It’s almost as if they are using some kind of special computer font…

4 Likes

Hello @FoTiS
At the moment, @clubpostcards cannot reply to any post because her forum account is on hold.
She asked me to help her reply and explain the situation to you. I believe she would reply you once the problem with her forum account is fixed. :blush:
Here’s more details on the situation.

1 Like

I don’t have problem to read or write cursive. I prefer it, it’s more beautiful. But I will use print caracter when I write to someone who don’t use latin alphabet.

Hello. I am new to the forum, so sorry if I am using it incorrectly.
I am a 54-year-old Japanese, and I have no problem reading and writing cursive.
I don’t want you all to get into a fight, I would like to tell you something accurate.
Cursive was compulsory in English education in Japan until 1992. It was in 2004 that cursive was removed from the curriculum guidelines for Japanese junior high schools.
Approximately any Japanese born after 1989 (currently under 33) is not taught cursive in school.
In my time, when I first learned English at junior high, We were taught both cursive and block letters, and we were encouraged to write our notes and boards in cursive.
So, for postcrossers over a certain age, I don’t think there is any problem with cursive. Of course, this is only if it is written neatly :wink:

14 Likes

Hi everyone,

What an interesting topic!
A whole new world opened up to me…
Before I read this topic, I was not even aware of the fact that there even was a difference between cursive and print writing… I allways thought it were all just personal touches to handwriting, and there was only a difference between ´handwriting´ and ´block letters´. Now I learned that there are 3 types of ´handwriting´: cursive, print writing and block letters. And in all of them you have a base of how it was originaly learned (at school or otherwise), and personal style, both implemented in time and culture.
And this is for the roman alphabeth… how is it for other alphabets?

Personaly I can read almost every handwriting, in roman,
but it is realy hard for me to write in block letters and I cannot write in print… the upside down to many other postcrossers…
I think I am gonna start practicing :wink:
My handwriting is flowing and balanced, many find it beautiful, many also hard to understand… I realy do my best to write as clear as possible on PC cards… And when someone writes in their profile they prefer print writing, I allways respect that and use my old typewriter - wich I allways use for the adress, to be sure it is clear :wink:

To me personaly, I LOVE all these different handwritings, and I love when someone signs their name sponatiously (even when it means sometimes I will only be sure of it after registration).

Thank you this lovely community to make me a richer and more aware human being

:four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

I sent a postcard to the US from Australia using the middle 4 (just like this one!) and I was sent a message from admin requesting that I write clearly as the recipient contacted them for help deciphering it. I think my writing is very neat and clear and get many comments to this effect, so I could only assume that she was unfamiliar with that number. (She mentioned in her registration message that she thought they were 9’s).

Since then I often write the ID number twice and write the numbers differently for each

1 Like