All about handwriting

I can read all 3 of them easily, but I prefer the first one. At least when I was in school, children were taught to write using cursive script, but I do not now if that’s the case anymore. As for me, I only use print if the receiver of my card speaks a language that does not use latin letters, otherwise I use cursive.

2 Likes

I think most people -even the younger generation- can decipher cursive if written neatly. I enjoy sending letters with my postcards written with calligraphy, and I have yet to be told they were illegible despite being all in cursive. The only time I “translate” the cursive is if I am writing something in Kurrentschrift.

In fact, I always address the envelopes in cursive, and I have never had an issue with delivery, regardless of country.

(Note that the envelope purposely has faux addresses on them. The poem is Die Lorelei, written by Heinrich Heine.)

8 Likes

In Italy cursive is still taught at school, so I can read and write it, but I’ve found out that I have some problems reading Italian postcards written in cursive till the first half of the last century. WW1 postcards, for example, are very challenging for me to read.

im 21 this year so this doesn’t apply to generations older than me. we weren’t taught cursive in school but as a child, i was interested in a cursive writing practice book. so i bought it and practiced it by myself. i think i practiced cursive for three years so i am personally able to read and write in cursive but usually i dont use it so that my writings can be more legible. but i think most people of my age here don’t use cursive.

i am from japan and i can read latin alphabet cursive often myself but there are times it is hard to read it. for example, i had difficulty reading it on cards and letters sent from Poland quite often and also Germany once in a while. so far, i have no problem reading it when sent from USA and Canada.

i believe quite many people in Japan struggle reading cursive on cards and letters.

I can read everything in your cursive except the first word on line 3. As? Is? Something else? I’m not sure :wink: but I can read “the great goddess Branwen” (etc.) just fine.

Then again I am 61, so I was raised with cursive! It is not too hard for me.

Cyrillic cursive, on the other hand, is very hard for me to make out.

1 Like

Wow these are so beautiful! Amazing work.

i think it s interesting to guess the cursive handwriting word from the context.
there are rules of the letters by which the shape of them would follow

1 Like

Of course we did lol And I am learning to write it now;(

I assume that many recipients may have difficulty reading cursive, so I avoid that form of handwriting on the postcards I send.

However, if I ever receive a profile that says “Cursive welcome!”, I will consider using my cursive script.

Incidentally, I think Sütterlin is one of the most beautiful cursives I’ve ever seen. But I cannot read it :laughing:

It is so beautiful that we usually use these letters to just decorate the cover of book, the mug cup, the clothes and everything that you don’t have to know the meaning of the foreign letters on it:) So though I like it a lot, I could not understand what it means usually. If you use it to write the address on the card to my country, the postman can’t recognize the address either. I am sure.XD

1 Like

you speak Teochew?:grin:

What a great question and discussion!
Yes, I used to struggle with it. It was not learned at my school. When I started with postcrossing I watched YouTube videos teaching cursive writing. I still can’t write in cursive, but it helped me to be able reading it.

1 Like

Just a reminder, please stop referring to USA as America. :wink: Thank You.

In PR we never stopped teaching cursive but I do have problems reading cursive from lets say 50% of the cursive postcards I get. I am about to write in my profile I prefer print. I try to write in print because of this and also my cursive needs improvement.

4 Likes

Not really. To be honest, I’m not a native since my parents didn’t move here from other places until 1980s. I grew up here but cannot speak this language well. My voice is always too weird when I speak it so I choose not to force myself to speak. I can only understand and use simple sentences. I hope that won’t upset you.

2 Likes

:grinning:OK,thanks

I’m one of these who learned it in school and even had extra lessons since my handwriting was so bad as child. As long it isn’t stated in the profile I write cursive since it is way more easy to write for me. I don’t use it often with people in China and arabic alphabet. My japanese friend told me that cursive isn’t a problem for most Japanese people. It is rather because most people don’t have a readable cursive handwriting. But we both are an older generation. Maybe that doesn’t apply for younger ones.

My non-cursive handwriting is rather weird because my hands tend to cramp since it is not natural to write like a typewriter for me. Until postcrossing I couldn’t even imagine that countries with latin alphabet would stop teaching that. :woman_shrugging:

I learned cursive in 3rd grade (2007-2008), and was required to use it throughout elementary school (and to some extent middle school). I’m probably one of the few people my age in the US who still use to regularly, but for the sake of legibility, I don’t use it for writing postcards anymore.

@Usi

your Japanese friend said most Japanese people can read cursive?! i am from Japan and consider myself an English instructor of some sort and i have to say there are quite many Japanese people who struggle reading cursive.

there are quite a lot of people in Japan who mention in their postcrossing profile that they cannot read cursive.

2 Likes

It is my experience too actually. But I admit I haven’t sent enough postcards to Japan to feel like I can generalize. It might have been luck :thinking:

1 Like