Write in English - Visitor's Corner

Hello dear Hélène!
My parents and I want to attend the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris. Since this is a very important event, almost everything is already booked for these dates, can you advise something? I will be in France for the first time so I want to see the whole city and try the national cuisine :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Malika :slightly_smiling_face:

As far as I know, there was a lottery for Olympic games : people had to register on a list and wait for the lottery to know if they could buy their entry pass. My sister in law tried months ago and didn’t win.

A bed and breakfast may be an option (in French it is “chambre d’hôtes” : usually it is less expensive than a room in a hotel. If there is “table d’hôtes” option, it means you can have dinner as well and sometimes a ready to go lunch basket. Food is always home made :wink: ).

I would say booking outside Paris is easier and less expensive but you would need to reach the city using RER (train) and métro (subway)… And the French railway is what it is… Often late and strikes may occure :roll_eyes:

Several events won’t take place in Paris. Some in the nearby suburb, some in further places. It could be an option as well : attend the games in these places and spend a day in Paris ? For example, Elancourt is not far at all. Here is a list of the places :

If you need help for translation, please tell me :wink:

1 Like

Does anyone know cafes or places in Colmar and Strasbourg with free wifi? I would like to write a few postcards in travel mode this weekend :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help!

I’m looking for a French postcrosser called Sophie - probably from Nantes - who sent me this card. We probably arranged a swap in the first days of May orat the end of April - but I cannot find her address anywhere in my notes, nor can I remember if I sent a card.
I am sorry for this to happen, but I’m, mildly speaking, going through a very difficult time, and I got terribly forgetful…

Peut-être pourriez-vous m’aider?

Hi everyone,
I am looking for these two minisheets of stamps.

From my side I can offer mint new stamps “Children of Victory draw future Ukraine” or one FDC envelope with stamps and cancellation (Ternopil).

Also there are following mint sheets:

I have also some more minisheets in my album or we can discuss what you would like to receive)

1 Like

I suggest you post this message in the French topics :blush:
At the moment, I’m not in France, but if you haven’t found anyone to do the swap by the end of June, don’t hesitate to send me a message, as I’ll be in Paris by then.

1 Like

@Aguaroble
Thank you so much!

Hello @Annetta112
I moved your topic here to the Visitor’s Corner, because this is the only place in #communities:french where it is allowed to speak English.

2 Likes

@Bille
Thank you so much!

1 Like

Hello everyone!
Can someone living in France or going to France help me get these lovely new stamps issued today (02.06.2023)?

I need them not mint but cancelled on cards.
Here is my offer of stamps and cards for swapping: CARDS FOR OFFER AND TRADE – Google Drive
Some of the stamps can go with matching cards.
Here are also some minisheets to offer:

PM me if you are interested!
Merci beaucoup!

P.S. Maxicards and some more cards with lighthouses, UNESCO cites and Russian cities from Kartinka 24 are available upon request.

1 Like

Hi! I’ll be in Paris in 2 weeks, only for 3 days. Is it possible to buy the international (€1.80) stamps from post offices in Paris, or should I do something in preparation?

Hello @Midnight4225

It is possible to buy international stamps in post offices everywhere in France. Small ones may not have a lot of choice but you will find at least the purple Marianne stamps (purple is the color for international standard stamps). In Paris, I assume there will be more choice.

Welcome to France and please enjoy your trip :bouquet:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m currently in Paris, and today I went to a post office to buy international stamps. But there I saw nice stamps for “lettre verte” but the guy who works there said these stamps are just for France. Now I’ve read this topic, and I found out that it was possible to use them adding other stamps. Is it still possible? If yes, what is the value of these “green” stamps in 2023? I couldn’t find this information.

Merci in advance!

Hello !

Welcome to Paris :smiley:

Yes, it is possible to use “lettre verte” stamps for international mail, as long as you add the necessary amount to international postage. Even “lettre verte” with no face value can be used (I have already used them and mail arrived safely and on time).

“Lettre verte” stamp value is 1,16 € and international value is 1,80 €. Unfortunately, there are no longer small value stamps so it is necessary to add a sticker with the additional value printed on it (i.e. : 0,64 €). It needs some room… No problem on envelopes but it can be on postcards if you like to write a lot :wink:

How about the ‘lettre rouge’ stamps? The service is gone, but what is the remaining value of the stamps?

Thank you so much for explanation!
And where and how can I get these “additional”stickers? Just ask in a post office?

It is the same for “lettre rouge”. The value is 1,43€. So, if you use a “lettre rouge” stamp, you have to add a sticker with additionnal value of 0,37€.

1 Like

You’re welcome :hugs:

Yes, you have to ask to a postal clerk to print the sticker. In some post offices, there are mail franking machines customers can use but I don’t remember if explanations can be found in English (there are several steps to get a special sticker with a non usual value).

1 Like

Merci beaucoup, Hélène! I will try! The animals stamps are so cute :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Avec plaisir, Irina :two_hearts:
Please enjoy your French holidays :wink: