World postcard day explanation

Hi peeps, not sure I am understanding world postcard day… to receive badge do we send out on Oct 1st or does our postcard have to be registered by October 1st…?

This is my first time for this event as I joined in May of this year, was not sure where to find details

I Invite you for a scoop of your fav gelato… for assistance :slight_smile: :ice_cream:

15 Likes

Hi @mdmsamm,
yes for the bagde you have to draw an adress on October 1st. But it doesn’t matter when the card gets registered. To be sure just send a few cards, if one cards gets lost you still get the badge.

6 Likes

That was easy …ok so only one to be sent to qualify… I have 8 ready on my request address list…thanks , and is it too early for a bowl of gelato? :ice_cream:

2 Likes

It’s never too early for gelato!

6 Likes

Never too early or to late for gelato :yum:

Btw, sorry for my spelling mistakes, I was on the go and a bit distracted.

2 Likes

No need to ever apologize to me . I totally understood what you were saying ……ok gelato is available all day. On Saturday i had the creme brule, my hubby had a mocha one - both were delightful

2 Likes

It’s also my first time participating in World Postcard Day!!
(I joined in March of this year, shortly after the anniversary of my grandmother on dad’s side passing. She passed when I was in third grade, I’m in 11th grade now…)
In short, PostCrossing is a way for me to honor my grandmother Linda. She will be happy in heaven if I send as many postcards as possible on World Postcard Day to make others happy!

I’ll gladly take a scoop (okay, maybe three) of milk chocolate gelato! :ice_cream: But I don’t have that so I’ll go get a glass of chocolate milk.

4 Likes

And if you want to make it extra special, @postmuse suggested a couple of years ago that people should eat ravioli on World Postcard Day, because they look like mini postage stamps! :heart_eyes:

20 Likes

Ok that may have to be on our menu too…. Love all this food comparisons to our very special day….

What a lovely way to honor everyone who inspired us to write and share this gift of reminding everyone that they indeed matter.

2 Likes

I’d take some strawberry ice cream by the way…

:icecream:

3 Likes

I just made applesauce and blackberry syrup. Not gelato, but I think they should count…especially with vanilla ice cream,

1 Like

You got the last scoop :wink:

1 Like

You are invited anytime, our official topper :wink:

With World Postcard Day 2023 just around the corner, new and existing members may be wondering how to earn the WPD Badge.

Just a refresher:

• New members who generate addresses / send one or more postcards on October 1st (local standard time) will automatically receive the WPD Badge. (As long as there are available slots)

• Existing members who have previously generated addresses / sent postcards on October 1st (local standard time) will have the number of times they have sent displayed on the WPD Badge.

Please let me know if this is right @meiadeleite , very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Just drawing one or more addresses is not enough - at least one card must be registered.

4 Likes

It’s really important to understand that you don’t get the badge for drawing addresses on 1st October. You have to send those postcards, and you will get the badge once the postcard arrives and is registered. That’s why it’s probably wise to send at least 3 official postcards on the day, to allow for one (or more) getting lost and never making it to its destination.

4 Likes

It also may be important to say that any postcard registered that has a sent date of 01 Oct is a World Postcard Day postcard. It does not have to be the official (or any unofficial) WPD design.

6 Likes

I always forget that cards generated on WPD October 1 is same as regular postcards sent and needed registration. If the card gets registered, then one gets the WPD badge as a bonus.

As mentioned by @meiadeleite, they will send a WPD refresher for everyone.
THANK YOU for clarifying again, very helpful!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m kind of new here and this will be my first time participating in World Postcard Day. So it sounds like we elect to “send” at least one postcard on October 1 to have the badge displayed on our profile (once the postcard is registered). But since October 1 is on a Sunday, the postcard itself will show a postmark of October 2 or later (at least from the US). Is this a bummer for anyone? Just curious how seriously the October 1 date is taken. Thank you… so grateful to have found Postcrossing and have the opportunity to connect with so many cool people around the world!

1 Like