Where do we find our postcards?

I’ve been out in the Peak District this week was pleased to find a small but very nice selection of local viewcards at the cycle hire shop at Parsley Hay on the High Peak and Tissington trails. It’s the first time I’ve been able to buy local postcards as I started postcrossing during lockdown last year!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I’ve just picked some up for myself too - 20p is one of the best prices I’ve seen for a postcard!

1 Like

They are the same company. The price you mention is what I recall, more or less.

I’ve just bought some! Excellent value. They used to be stocked in our local shops but our local shops seem to have given up on postcards since J Salmon closed.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Another online shop I have ordered from is Chris Andrews Publications. I ordered postcards of Oxford and Bath because I love these cities so much, but they have a few other locations:
View postcards
5 pounds for ten postcards of very nice quality.

2 Likes

My daughter visited Oxford last week and got me some of those postcards. Stunning photography. I’m tempted to get some of the Cotswolds ones as well.

1 Like

@Maddymail I was in Edinburgh last weekend and bought a couple of these cards - five for £1! - and then remembered seeing your message here.

These cards are by ‘Edge of Art’, but the web address seems to be dead (edgeofart.co.uk) they seem to be tourist shop staples in the noisy bagpipe-blaring type shops :joy: if you’re looking for some maybe I can keep an eye out next time I venture into town? Glasgow has these noisy tourist shops too!

2 Likes

Oooh, Thank You for looking up for more information, for some reason these Postcards make me smile.
It might be a while before I take a trip upto Scotland, but don’t go out of your way to get some! :blush:

1 Like

They are quite funny and totally silly. I bought some for ultimate tourist purposes :joy: will keep an eye out if I venture back into any nearby city centres!

Thanks for the tip! They are beautiful and I’ve just made an order :+1:

Edit: I’ve just received my order from Janet Bell and the cards are AWESOME :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:. They’re even better in real life than on the website.

2 Likes

I was in North Wales for a long weekend with friends and of course I had to pick up some postcards. I got a batch in Beddgelert and also some in Harlech. My twin brother is on a holiday in the Lake District with some of his friends and has already promised to pick me up some postcards with Lake District views!

1 Like

I’ve found Oxfam shops are great for postcards.

I recently came across this treasure trove (15 full boxes!) of postcards in the Oxfam Bookshop in St Albans:

They had a huge variety including PHQ cards and most were priced at 25p.

Today I nipped into one of the Oxfam stores in Oxford and they also had a good selection including several different full sets of PHQ cards. They were all unwritten, in excellent condition and just 30p each.

4 Likes

Amazing! I often (…very, very often!) buy postcards from Oxfam’s online shop, and they more often than not come from the St Albans shop! Looks like they have a dream selection in store too! Bet that was a joy to browse!

Last time I was on Oxfam website, they had a Dr Who postcard box, and I think a Star Wars box too - as well as all the fun random vintage ones I like! I’d really recommend a look :blush:

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/category/ephemera-postcards

3 Likes

I hadn’t even thought of looking on their website! I’m off to have a look right now.

1 Like

I found some cool space-themed postcards at the National Space Centre in Leicester this weekend :+1:

And I also like postcards from Emma Ball: https://www.emmaball.co.uk/product-category/regional/browse-by-product/postcards/

5 Likes

A fellow postcrosser recommended art angels postcards to me, here’s a link to their site Postcards (mainly for trade customers)

Their products are also sold on this site to private buyers

1 Like

Darn! Missed your visit as I’m well, a few miles from Beddgelert. I must try to remember to get a postcard of the Gelert story… when I next go (and hopefully when the Welsh Highland Railway train hasn’t arrived a few minutes earlier - a friend went and well, found the place heaving with people).

1 Like

Hi! I’m on holiday in Northumbria and have bought some lovely postcards at Carlisle Tourist Information Centre, Hexham Abbey, the Roman Army Museum (near Greenhead) and local nature reserves. It feels so good to finally be able to shop in proper tourist shops rather than on-line at last!

4 Likes

Ah wow, what an amazing part of the country to live in! I nabbed myself a few cards :smiley:

I’m from Northumberland and am visiting family there at the moment (though returning to London today). I made sure to stock up on some Northumberland cards too :star_struck: hope you’ve enjoyed your holiday!