Where do we find our postcards?

He sells other things, not just postcards, but I do think how someone responds to customers speaks volumes about them, even if the customer is in the wrong x

3 Likes

I just went on the World of Books website and was given 15% off if I spent over £15. I don’t know if it was because I had never been on the website before? But in case it wasn’t, I thought I’d mention it. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for the recommendation @geo_ . XXX

Edit: Error correction - it was 10%, not 15%! :woman_facepalming:t3: 10% off of £15. Apologies! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Just had an email from Rather Good Art, saying their May Sale ends midnight tonight. They have about 70 postcard sets (6 cards) in the sale reduced from 5.99 each ( so on sale at about 70p per card) I recognised some of the artists ( Ravilious, JA Grimshaw). Can’t attest as to quality because I haven’t tried them yet!

7 Likes

Yes, he can be pretty terse.
I ordered from him when I first started Postcrossing and realised that people would like non-tourist cards, but I haven’t done since. I would not recommend although he seems to have a lot of satistfied customers.
His card stock is thin, in my opinion and his reaction to anything other than a 5* review is a bit off.

He uses 260g, whereas the basic (cheapest) card stock from Moo that I use, and that feels like a shop bought postcard, is 330-350g, so quite a bit thicker. A PHQ seems ever so slightly thicker again.
I’m surprised that he refers to 260g as industry average. It certainly isn’t the average for the cards I have in my stash.

6 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face: I was starting to worry I was being a bit negative, I really appreciate your post :blush: I agree, his cards are significantly thinner than PHQ’s and standard shop bought cards & I felt others would be disappointed when they receive them for me x

4 Likes

I’ve bought several of the modern postcard sets from Rather Good Art and am very pleased with them all. They always have sales on bank holiday weekends so if you can wait 3 months, it’s worth remembering. If you subscribe to their newsletter, you get 10% off at any time.

3 Likes

I think there should be some sort of financial warning on this thread. It keeps making me buy more.

I’d like to get my own back by mentioning Illustration by Jonathan. Cards cost 80p and are very good quality. Many of his illustrations are based in or around Winchester but he also has others from around the UK and the world. Postcard sets are good value at 10 for £6.00

10 Likes

I agree.
This thread is a danger to my bank balance (but I :heart: it)
I have enough postcards in my box probably to last a couple of years at least, at the rate I send, but somehow I always acquire more.

6 Likes

Ooh, they’re nice, aren’t they? I’ve seen one or two before on other people’s walls. Now I know where I can get them.

Once I’ve sent the thousands I must already have :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Sadly i haven’t had great experiences with Cavalier either - the cards were very thin and very glossy - just like a printed out photo. Just my experience, i gather they also sell cards from other sellers so good to know that they have some good quality cards too! I think it’s great for us all to share our experiences good and bad so we can make decisions on where to spend our precious pennies! :hugs:

7 Likes

Just a health warning on “postcard books” on book sites (I’ve been caught a couple of times now - my fault for not reading the product info carefully enough) Sometimes they are books about postcards and not books of postcards. Very nice, but maybe not what you might be after.

6 Likes

Does anyone know where Blue Cat postcards can be bought in the U.K.? If they are available here? I don’t know much about these postcards, but I have very quickly fallen in love with them, like a whole lot of other postcrossers! :grin:

I get the impression that they are made by an artist on the continent somewhere? Eastern Europe?

Another postcrosser is very kindly sending me four in a private swap. I don’t want to name her because I don’t have permission, but it just made me think that she is in Russia and can seem to get hold of them very easily? Is there an outlet for these postcards in the U.K.?

Thank you! :smile::pray:

2 Likes

There are a couple of lots on eBay atm but I think the official dealer is: https://mymagicard.com/en/shop/blue-cats~14
(Edited to correct dodgy link)

3 Likes

Thank you very much @CEBooth! :grin::pray:

1 Like

https://www.rathergoodart.co.uk/product-category/postcards/.
Rather Good Art have a 30% off Summer Solstice Sale at the moment. still not cheap but more affordable. The range is mostly landscapes, many very beautiful.

7 Likes

You beat me to it! I love their range of postcards. I’m very tempted to spend more money.

6 Likes

Ooh thank you, and free shipping when you spend over £5.90 which is very reasonable!

2 Likes

I got an email saying Bookishly has 20% off postcard sets on NOTHS today x

5 Likes

I have noticed HMV have started selling postcards, I found these in Birmingham, they also have some in Manchester.

12 Likes

I’ll have a look in Reading’s HMV over the weekend and report back.

5 Likes