When do you start sending out Christmas cards?

Christmas is around the corner! And the card traveling time to different countries may vary a lot. I recently bought a lot of Christmas cards to well prepare.

Do you guys think it’s ok to send cards in November to allow them arrive before Christmas? Or sending them in December is more than enough?

6 Likes

I usually send my Christmas cards around the last week of November.
Sometimes they arrive on time for Christmas, and sometimes, they arrive around January.

Our post office gives a Christmas schedule too, so we can prepare beforehand.

2 Likes

People have been arranging for them & sending them since Sept depending where they’re coming from or going to - some people can be sure of the mail & hold them til late Nov.

Remember 2 things - the Delta wave is definitely affecting postal service & slowing things down in many places & then there’s the holiday season rush which also means huge volumes & some slow downs. I wouldn’t leave much til Dec unless you know it will get there in less than 2 weeks & even then with the holiday rush that might be longer. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’m definitely wanting to send cards earlier this year. Otherwise I’m worried they won’t arrive in time which would be sad. I love displaying my cards in my house in December so I hope to start receiving them soon :grin:

2 Likes

Same! I think I will send my cards out from mid-November too – my cards were taking about 3 weeks to arrive so I will factor in extra buffer for travelling this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s never too early this year. cards took at least a month longer last year, and some cards took about 6 mos to arrive if they arrived at all. The holiday RRs are in full swing and getting busier every day, so NOW is the perfect time to start sending across borders and oceans.

3 Likes

I also agree - it’s never too early for Christmas cards. :grinning:
Especially because we in Germany may be facing the 4th wave of COVID.
Therefore,
I will send the cards for the more distant addresses in mid-November.
Cards that stay here in Germany - I’ll start sending them at the beginning of December.
Experience shows that Deutsche Post has a large volume to process before Christmas.
So I think: Better safe than sorry

2 Likes

I feel like I’m already behind because I haven’t sent them yet. :grimacing:

Honestly, though, considering the morass of complications that will delay mail/parcel services this year, I will be neither surprised nor disappointed if we all agree to, you know, extend Christmas celebrations a bit.

And by “a bit,” I might mean several months, but the more, the merrier, right? :christmas_tree:

6 Likes

I too believe its not too early to send Christmas cards. But unfortunately in my country, they start selling the cards at the begining of December.

2 Likes

this. if i get my christmas cards too early i can always put them down for a bit and display them when i want. but if they arrive after christmas it feels a bit too late. though if i get a christmas card in april i will still happily hang them in my living room.
right now i’m waiting for my first christmas cards (a forum swap) and i’m ready to send out more. i bought a few this week and they all give me a cozy and happy feeling. i can use that feeling in october as well.

3 Likes

I’ll start sending them around 1st Advent, so by the end of November, for otherwise it feels like to be too early. And they will make it in time.

1 Like

I do the same as @RalfH does.
In the last year I had just a few cards which arrived in the new year. Most of the cards arrived in time.
Though I prepared already some things for Christmas (just to be ready and not get stressed in Christmas time) it feels too early for me to send them out now.
Just regret sending out a parcel to Italy. It arrived in three (!) days. Filled with Christmas goodies :roll_eyes:

I send cards to Sweden,Germany and the continental United States.
Since I live in Hawaii :hibiscus:, I typically send the cards to family in Germany in November and for the American recipients, I tend to send those the first week of December or last week of November.

I’ve joined a Christmas RR and I’ll be sending mine as soon as I have the addresses. Given I’m now waiting 45 days to Taiwan, 43 days to France, 30 days to The Netherlands. If I wait much longer…I don’t think they’ll make it before Christmas :frowning:.

Hello, everyone.
I’m already looking for Christmas cards together.
I think that it is currently the better choice to send the cards in November. The international cards should arrive on time :blush:

The US mail has announced it will slow down service so everyone must mail even earlier than usual…I expect many cards and packages wont be delivered until mid or late January.

1 Like

I usually start sending out Christmas cards when I receive the addresses for the international secret christmas RR or around 1st advent.
For official postcrossing I only send christmas card if the sender asks for them. They ususally also say in what time frame they like to receive those cards.

I usually start sending around the end of November to all international places, I send the ones to my friends and family in the Netherlands always on December 6th, the day after Saint Nicholas which is heavily celebrated here. I did already arranged some swaps on the forum here because I just love Christmas, and I will continue doing that throughout the rest of the year :grin:

For me, the start of the Yule season is when Santa Claus passes in front of Macy’s at the end of the Thanksgiving Day Parade. :grinning:

So, I’ll be starting to get my cards out on the afternoon of November 24th.

1 Like

At my parents’ house in the 1960s my brother was barred from playing Christmas records on his little player until the day after Thanksgiving. I still think that’s when the holiday season begins!

1 Like