What's your postcard-writing "ritual"?

I also do that sometimes.
Of course I hope to get detailed hurray mail then :grin:
(It don’t works every time, through)

Yeah, same here. But I really love to get some answers!

1 Like

I love that idea :heart_eyes:

I think I average in with you guys. :slightly_smiling_face:
The more detailed the profile of the other person, the easier it is to think of something to write about. If the profile is more or less empty, I write something about myself, my town or why I chose this specific card.
I usually spend quite some time finding the right card in my stash and decorating it. I’m no great artist (I envy all of you who have a talent for this), but I have a good collection of washi tapes and stickers and I love to have fun with them! :smiley: My husband once said to me that the post office probably has difficulties finding the stamps on my cards because the backsides of my cards are completely filled with text and decorations… :joy:

On average I spend about 30 Minutes on every card I write; if I find the perfect card right away I will probably get done a little faster.

I usually wait until I have enough free time to choose and write the card in one go, and I also have to be in the right mood for it. This is why I always keep a “spare address” that I can draw whenever I get this craving to write a postcard to someone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I once had a card covered over and over with text also on the address side. It came from the USA and had a big rubber stamp “Misrouted Jakarta”, so obviously United States Postal Service had problems to find the country of destinatoin (Germany) on it and put it in the container for Indonesia. That card travelled quite long.

2 Likes

Once I’ve selected a card it takes me about 20 minutes, I think, to write and stamp it.
But it can take weeks for me to find the perfect card. I’m quite the perfectionist that way.
Maybe my favourite part of the whole process is actually mailing it. The mailbox is a 200 meter walk and I love my neighborhood. I also like preparing for writing a new card. I’ll light a few candles and some incense and really sit down for it.
Love reading others’ rituals!

2 Likes

Are you slightly nerdy about PC? :hugs:

Perhaps…

1 Like

Then I normally write about the weather :sweat_smile: But I find it interesting that mostly I always find something to connect to!

I write about the weather or my day in short, then end it with happy postcrossing :slight_smile:

I think it depends, but I usually only draw an address when I feel like I have something to write about. I usually like to write about current events, exciting things I’m looking forward to, past travel experiences, or a little about the postcard image, depending on what the Postcrosser asked for specifically in their profile.

2 Likes

I will usually check the Postcrosser’s profile to see what interests we might have in common, and I’ll usually choose one or two (or more, if space allows) to write about in my postcard message.

Otherwise, if the profile is empty, or there isn’t a common topic, I will just write about my day, or a hobby that I have, or I might just talk about the postcard and/or stamp I chose. :slight_smile:

It takes me between 5-20 mins to write a postcard, depending on how much and what I write, but I always enjoy it.

2 Likes

Today I drew 21 addresses. I wrote the first 3 at 1AM, got some sleep, worked until mid day and then I started to write the remaining. I’ve just finished now :scream:

1 Like

i usually send just one official postcard everyday: postcrossing days are mondays, wednesday and fridays, the other days are for other sites, so i give the postcards the time to arrive and i have often some free slots to use.
after selecting a postcard from my stash, i start with stamps: sometimes just one if i read on the profile there’s no interest in stamps; i try to select one (or more) that i think the postcrosser could like, related to what he wrote.
my printer doesn’t work, i only use it as a scanner, so i always write the address; sometimes if there’s a chinese address in chinese alphabet i ask my mother’s chinese hairstylist to write it :rofl: :rofl:
then i choose a washitape and some stickers, somehow related to the postcrosser’s tastes; christmas in this period, unless i read it’s someone who hates xmas postcards.
is there still any space left on the postcard? :rofl: :rofl:
i introduce myself, sometimes i say something about what he likes if i like it too, sometimes i say something about the postcard and closing greetings.
i recently started writing my username too, just in case there’s a problem with ID or if the postcard needs more than a year to reach its destination and can’t be registered, so the receiver can send me a message to tell me he got it.
maybe 10-15 minutes and i try to send it the same morning :grinning: :mailbox_with_mail: :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah. I don’t have many cards to choose from yet and my written side is usually kinda boring looking?
But I spend like 10-30 minutes on each card because I try to fit as much writing as I can on them and I ramble.
And then I doodle in any remaining space and wait for them to dry.

I fill up the entire space with my basic info, sometimes such as age and major. Sometimes there’s a little backstory the persons profile reminds me of.

1 Like

Out of curiousity I timed my card writing :grinning:
I took the address 9:09, and reading her profile I knew what card to send, wrote it, and thought this was too fast for my normal, but I stopped writing 9:38 :astonished:
So it took almost half an hour to write a card. Can it be? Is it even possible to write that slow.
Maybe it’s better I don’t look at the time when I write normally :anguished: I know I am very slow doing things, but sometimes I say “let me just write one card and I do * something * after that”, and then I hear a sigh, and I think, “like it would take more than few minutes”. Apparently it does.

4 Likes

As long you have fun, time doesn’t matter.
If there were a time-limit for writing, it would stress me out. I don’t “work” good under pressure.

In fact postcrossing is not a fast hobby, it’s something to calm me down and feel relaxed.

4 Likes

Seems like your text side is great! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I relate to this experience, Tuulia.

I try to make it interesting :sweat_smile:

2 Likes