What's your postcard-writing "ritual"?

I totally agree your words. Comparing with the ‘copy-stick’, i’d like to check the receiver’s profile before i write. i like to share and say the topic that is matched with the topic , well, my writing skill is not good, but i try to write it try my best,
when i receive someone who is not matching with my habits or my interest, i try to introduce the card, what it is.
But i actually registered the account within a month, i only wrote 7 cards lol

1 Like

Welcome postcrossing @Tia_pupa!
Ypur writing skills sure will improve by time. Having is importanter than a well written card :slight_smile:

I feel a little bad reading all of this because I take my time. And by time I mean days and even weeks.
I usually read the profile, pick out a card, write the address, ID or forum game and username on the card first and then I don’t write the text immediately but the card goes into a little box that I carry with me always everywhere. That way, I can write the card when and whenever I want. Sometimes, I write them in the bus or train or in bed or at a lake… That also means that I often don’t have access to the profile when I write the card, I just write whatever comes to my mind. If I don’t feel like writing, I draw something instead.
It also means that sometimes, a long time can pass until I actually write one card, especially if a lot of RR groups get full at once, then I put those at the top and tags and private correspondence to my friends and family move further back in my pile, so that I at least send the RR cards on time. (Sorry @ everyone who had to wait for a card from me!)
I also have decorating sprees where I take out my washitapes and put it onto every addressed card in my little box. Or in a different spree, I glue diy-stickers on them. Or I use my wooden stamps. Etc. Cards that stay in my little box longer, tend to have a lot of layers of these decorating sprees while cards that I send on the same day sometimes don’t have any decorations.
Cards that I send out almost immediately are those that are too big to fit into my little box :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I used to feel very pressured to reply and send the letters/cards in a timely manner. It put so much pressure on me that I sometimes felt very bad about not replying and then eventually it got so bad that I didn’t write to my penpals for weeks… and months… and years… It was rather stupid, I think. Not to write because of my bad conscience and then it got worse and became a viscous cycle… And I don’t want to ever get back into that mindscape. So now I don’t put any pressure on myself. If I don’t feel like writing, then I don’t feel like writing and that’s okay. All cards in my little box will be written and sent eventually, no need to stress myself over them, this is just a hobby. :blush:

7 Likes

Right, don’t stress yourself. I also know this pressure you talking about. If I not in the mood of writing, I don’t write, because it will end up as very unpersonal message.

The layers of decoration gives your cards a nice personal touch, I think.
I had once when I travelled more, taken the cards within my journey and write them in the train, or I go for a hike and write my cards while I enjoy a beautiful landscape.

So don’t feel bad about different writing habits, @Feuerstuhl :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree… it’s the same for me. But well, often that mood holds on a while… so after a week I will write, whatever mood I’m currently into. (except for when I know the addressee well)

1 Like

It depends, usually between 5 and 20 minutes. Most of the time something jumps at me when reading someone’s profile. I do struggle with empty profiles though.

2 Likes

When the profile is empty, I check if it is a newbie. And if so, I send a nice view card of my area and write a warm welcome on it and that Postcrossing requires patience, for cards to some countries need very long.

3 Likes

What do you write if the empty profile is no newbie?
I’m just curious. I find it harder to write to a long term member with empty profile.

I always check their favourites as this might reveal something about the person’s interests. Otherwise I usually write about the city I live in.

2 Likes

If the profile is empty and the addressee is a member for a longer time, then I just write “happy Postcrossing” for this member obviously does not care about the text at all. Why bother with a long text if the addressee doesn’t care?

3 Likes

That’s a great topic. Thank you @Jarana!

I think that writing itself usually takes me 5-10 minutes. I spend more time choosing the postcard and stamp(s), especially if the addressee likes stamps of this or that kind.
I can also decorate the backside a bit depending on their preferences.
And the writing space is usually not enough for me :sob:, like for many of you. My handwriting is quite large, and I always start my message with greetings and a few words about myself. It takes about a half of the space, and I try to say something positive about my addressee’s hobbies, maybe ask a question. I can describe the image instead, but I can’t remember when I’d done it.
So… it depends, in fact, a bit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also do that sometimes.
Of course I hope to get detailed hurray mail then :grin:
(It don’t works every time, through)

Yeah, same here. But I really love to get some answers!

1 Like

I love that idea :heart_eyes:

I think I average in with you guys. :slightly_smiling_face:
The more detailed the profile of the other person, the easier it is to think of something to write about. If the profile is more or less empty, I write something about myself, my town or why I chose this specific card.
I usually spend quite some time finding the right card in my stash and decorating it. I’m no great artist (I envy all of you who have a talent for this), but I have a good collection of washi tapes and stickers and I love to have fun with them! :smiley: My husband once said to me that the post office probably has difficulties finding the stamps on my cards because the backsides of my cards are completely filled with text and decorations… :joy:

On average I spend about 30 Minutes on every card I write; if I find the perfect card right away I will probably get done a little faster.

I usually wait until I have enough free time to choose and write the card in one go, and I also have to be in the right mood for it. This is why I always keep a “spare address” that I can draw whenever I get this craving to write a postcard to someone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I once had a card covered over and over with text also on the address side. It came from the USA and had a big rubber stamp “Misrouted Jakarta”, so obviously United States Postal Service had problems to find the country of destinatoin (Germany) on it and put it in the container for Indonesia. That card travelled quite long.

2 Likes

Once I’ve selected a card it takes me about 20 minutes, I think, to write and stamp it.
But it can take weeks for me to find the perfect card. I’m quite the perfectionist that way.
Maybe my favourite part of the whole process is actually mailing it. The mailbox is a 200 meter walk and I love my neighborhood. I also like preparing for writing a new card. I’ll light a few candles and some incense and really sit down for it.
Love reading others’ rituals!

2 Likes

Are you slightly nerdy about PC? :hugs:

Perhaps…

1 Like

Then I normally write about the weather :sweat_smile: But I find it interesting that mostly I always find something to connect to!