What was it like to receive your first postcard?

Hello everyone ! :wave:

I started the postcrossing journey this month and sent a few postcards so far.
While some have arrived at their destination, others are still in transit.

I haven’t received any postcards yet but I can’t wait to see the first one in my mailbox ! :mailbox_with_mail:

I would like to know your experience when you received your first postcard.
What was it like ? How did you feel when you saw it in your mailbox ?

9 Likes

It was magical. My first postcard was from Paris, which is one of my favorite places. I took it as a sign that I did the right thing signing up for Postcrossing!

13 Likes

Hi Kodjo, nice to meet you. I am pretty new to this, too, about 2 months now. Actually, I was on pins and needles waiting for my card. I was checking the mail multiple times a day. If there was a tracker for my mail carrier, I would have used it!

When I sent my first card, I was not completely sure what to do so I just wrote a nice message and sent it on using three Forever stamps (I didn’t even know international stamps existed). :laughing: When I received my first card, I was stunned by the beautiful decorations and realized that decorations are a part of the PC culture. Now, I’m buying stickers and washi with the best of them.

I learn more with each card I receive on how to be a better postcard friend and make my cards more entertaining.

12 Likes

Wow that’s so good to know! What are the odds !
That must have really brightened up your day :blush:

1 Like

Haha i really understand you about checking the mail multiple times a day :joy:
It’s so amazing to see people put a lot of effort crafting a postcard !
I noticed that i tend to repeat myself in the postcards that i write so i’ll try to write more personalized messages
Thanks for sharing your experience !

1 Like

It did brighten my day!

1 Like

My first one arrived just now - was almost in shock!

10 Likes

In fact when I started Postcrossing a few months ago, when I was living in a hotel. So I had entered my room number as my address, and it seems that it caused some problems because my first card took a few weeks to arrive. But I said to myself, “I wish I could be in the country where the card is coming from in ten years”, so I was very excited.
And finally, one morning I was on my way to class and the receptionist said, “You have received mail,” and I was thrilled! The card was from a person from Dresden living in Berlin.
But I also want to warn you; it is possible that you will receive a card on which it is written only “Happy Postcrossing” or “Have a good day”, so do not be disappointed, you will always receive nice cards :blush:
Wish you to receive a lot of :postcard:
:fr: :postcrossing:

9 Likes

I remember practically all the details from my first card. It was of abstract art, from the Czech Republic, and had a really big stamp on the back! The person who wrote to me was really kind and I was thrilled mostly for the connection across the world- although I was also pretty excited about the stamp too (;

3 Likes

Wow lucky you ! Which country is it from ? :smiling_face:

What a great story ! You must have been so exited on your way to class :grin:
Thanks for the advice !

1 Like

Yeah ! It’s incredible to be able to connect to other people far from where we live…
It’s beautiful ! :blush:
It must have been a really big stamp haha :mailbox_with_mail:

I started postcrossing on March 1st of 2021. I received my first card on March 13th, which was my BIRTHDAY! A great way to celebrate a special day!
:sunglasses:

10 Likes

What a coincidence ! That’s a special birthday gift haha :gift:

1 Like

From another American - domestic post within USA.

1 Like

That’s must be so cool to receive from your own country :slight_smile:
It’s like a neighbor from hundreds of miles away !

1 Like

Sadly I don’t remember when I got my first card back in November 2009 when I was 24, I am soon to be 37! I do remember my 1st sent card. I was so excited, I remember buying the stamp and maling the card. I was nervous, I don’t know why. Maybe it was my first time sending something to Finland.

5 Likes

Wow that’s awesome ! It must have been a fulfilling experience so far :slight_smile:
When i go to the post office, I really want them to handle the postcard,
and not put it in the mailbox by myself so that i’m sure the postcard will be sent :joy:
I remember the first “Hurray” notification, I was so excited !

1 Like

Yes, hurray messages are great. I think I find more joy in sending cards than receiving. Lately I’ve been asking the postal clerks for hand cancelations so that way they get canceled with the name of my town but still I think they get canceled again when they get to the processing center, but I’m not sure.

5 Likes

Yeah definetely ! Taking the time to select or craft a postcard, write the message…it’s a wholesome experience

4 Likes