What was it like to receive your first postcard?

Disappointing. It just said “Happy postcrossing!” :frowning:

2 Likes

Took me 2 months to get my 1st batch of card. But it was special because one of it arrived from the very far country: Norway and it was World Postcard Day card 2021 with many stamps and lovely washi tape. The other one was from HK and it came with lovely handwriting and long message

7 Likes

Ohh i see ! I guess you wanted to know more about the person or their city :mailbox_with_mail:

Wow it took a while but it was worth the wait :grin:

1 Like

My first postcard has definitely changed my life. It arrived in November 2008 from Maria in Austria. I had no idea what was to happen later. Maria had a real love of Australia and was keen to get a postcard from here. We kept in touch occasionally. Then by chance I was in Salzburg which is only an hour from where they live. We met (Maria and her husband) and they showed me around Salzburg and the Christmas markets. It was only an afternoon together but we just clicked. When they left I was sad as I knew I had found some good friends. We then kept in touch more frequently and soon after I stayed with them for Christmas and a couple of years later I stayed with them again. I’ve seen most of Austria thanks to them. Better still they have made the big trek to Australia and as hesitant as they were to begin with, they just loved it. They loved it so much that they visited again a few years later. We still keep in touch frequently by letter, text, Telegram as well as occasional parcels. Yes hard to believe all this has occurred from just one postcard.

33 Likes

Unbelievable ! It’s amazing that a single postcard can create a wonderful friendship !
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story :cherry_blossom:

Wow! This is amazing​:heavy_heart_exclamation::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m still waiting. I sent my first card about 2 weeks ago and then 4 more shortly afterward. One was just received on the weekend! And now, I wait…

6 Likes

I also sent my first card about 2 weeks ago ! I guess we’ll receive one by the end of the month :sweat_smile:

Finally ! I received my first two postcards !
It literally made my day, i am sooooo happy :tada: :confetti_ball:

5 Likes

Ive never recieved a card from Puerto Rico but I seen blog posts of others. The distribution center cancel says San Juan PR. Even the US Virgin Island cards get distribution cancels from SJ. In a previous post, i mentioned sometimes i get hand cancels for certain envelopes cards etc. However, sometimes my recipients get the distribution cancels on top the hand cancels. It depends if the machine catches them. Or not.

It seems like right now some places are not even putting distribution cancels. I went to Honolulu and New Orleans and sent cards to myself and people i knew. They arrived with no cancels. Not even with the bars on the bottom either. My city so far has been putting distribution cancels.

And in reply to the topics i had previously did Postcrossing prior, it was kind of no big deal. However it was fun to see what was next. Im a wanderlust and i used to live like Rapunzel. So seeing the parts of the world is very cool.

1 Like

Yeah definitely ! It really expands my view of the world :wink:

I am new to Postcrossing and have only received one card but it made me smile so much when I got it! It was from Slovenia, a country I have never been to and I don’t know much about so it was lovely to receive a card from there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s so good to hear, thanks for sharing ! It also made me smile sooo much !

Hello!
Welcome to Postcrossings! I am a fairly new member as well and I remember the feeling all too well of anticipation! It is worth the wait and is my favorite hobby.
When I started, I sent out a lot of postcards (‘a lot’ being a relative term lol) and had not received any yet but I was very hopeful. (I also did a few direct swaps from the blogs and that was fun!)
You do finally start getting some! After the first one they start to be somewhat regular. As long as people are registering your cards. So far none of mine have expired but I am sure it can happen from time to time. (or so I have heard) It is exciting when you finally start receiving them and they do become more regular :slightly_smiling_face: Good luck to you!

Warm wishes
Mhari

1 Like

YES! I didn’t even know what washi tape was before post crossings. Now I find myself buying tape, stickers, and fun stamps which is something I didn’t do either. A whole new world to explore!

5 Likes

Yeah the feeling of anticipation is strong ! I think i may try direct swaps someday to see how it goes :slight_smile:
Thank you and happy postcrossing to you !

1 Like

My first received postcard (after weeks of waiting impatiently and running like a madwoman to the postbox the moment the postman left) was from a Ukrainian living in Canada. It was a gorgeous, colorful illustration from Lviv, showing historical buildings and cultural references of the area. Now with the current state of that area of the world, this postcard means even more to me.

I’ll also say that I’m just as excited to get a postcard now as I was at the beginning of my Postcrossing journey! I’m not sure that part really ever goes away :slight_smile:

1 Like

In case you didn’t know the USPS does informed delivery and emails you scans of what you can expect to receive each day. It’s free too.

I remember I was really excited to receive my first card because it was from Latvia I think which I had never been to and might not have even known about at the time

3 Likes

Just realised that the American sender of my very first PC postcard (Jan 2017) has closed the account…time flies.

1 Like