What languages do you write in?

English Mandarin German Cantonese

1 Like

English, Dutch, German, basic Japanese

English and Russian. I studied French many moons ago, too, but lost most of it due to no practiceā€¦

Way to promote Postcrossing :grin:!

I would write in English unless I get an address to anyone in Norway, Sweden or Denmark (but this does not happen very often), then I would write in Norwegian.

If I should get an address (outside Scandinavia) where it is stated in the profile that the person understand Norwegian, I would write a message in Norwegian with an English translation.

I most usually write in English, although Iā€™ll write in Spanish if the person is from a Spanish speaking country and their profile shows they are not proficient in English or if they mention to be learning Spanish and that theyā€™d want to practice it.

I have also written a couple postcards in Chinese and Russian, but that was through the ā€œSend me a postcard written in my language Tagā€. However, I recently sent a card written in Russian because the profile indicated that they were two persons and that one of them did not speak English. It hasnā€™t reached yet, so I hope the translator has not betrayed me!

And since I have recently resumed Italian lessons, I might try to write in Italian from now on if I draw an Italian address!

2 Likes

I write in English to most people, German if the person is also German (or Austrian, Swiss German), i.e. if their native language is German. If German is their second language, iā€™ll write in English.
I probably wouldnā€™t write in Norwegian because Iā€™m not that good at it.

1 Like

I write in English normally, but some postcrossers have asked me to write in Italian, so they can practice it, and I am happy to oblige (actually @MehndiLover we can swap if you like!)
I am planning to join an RR in French, as soon as I have brushed it up a bit since I studied it many years ago :blush:

I write in English normally, and Chinese/ German/ Malay if requested. I also write very simple Korean if the person happens to know a little as well just for fun :slight_smile:

I always add ģ•ˆė…•ķ•˜ģ„øģš” (hello) at first and continue in English. I would love to learn German and Japanese enough to write a full postcard!

I write in English.

I can read German pretty okay, and get many German written cards which I love (I note in my profile cards written in German are welcome). But I feel like for me to compose something in German would take me so long, and I get shy about making mistakes. I was fluent at the end of high school in German, but 22 years of really not using the language has not done me many favors!

I am new here, only 5 postcards sent and 6 travelling. Nevertheless, I already wrote postcards in 5 different languages and received Hurrays in 3 languages.
If I see in a profile a language I speak, I use this language, otherwise English.

2 Likes

I always chose a different language than English if the recipient speaks it. I always check the languages they speak in their profile. Iā€™ve already written cards in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Korean. I am learning Korean and I love that I can put into practice my limited Korean writing postcards since I donā€™t get to practice it otherwise.

3 Likes