What languages do you write in?

So exciting to see someone else learning Welsh!!

Iā€™m a Yorkshire lass, but my daughter and I moved to North Wales last year. Itā€™s important to have a basic grasp of the language, if only to get through the automated dealing systems faster as everything is in Cymreag then English

2 Likes

Well usually English but I use Chinese for people in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and some other people who claims they are able to understand Chinese

1 Like

That is freaking awesome!! Honestly Welsh wasnā€™t terrible once I got the hang of it. Really need to start practicing again tbh. But the male/female words were so new lol

1 Like

I write in German and in English. German only to the postcrosser who can speak German. German is may nativ language. Since a few months I am learning Welsh. So I could write some basic Welsh like how I am doing and what I like or donā€™t like. But till know I havenā€™t wrote anything in Welsh on a card

1 Like

I am learning Welsh too. But I donā€™t live there. But I havenā€™t wrote anything on a card in Welsh since I am learning Welsh

1 Like

I write in German and English, Iā€™m fluent in both languages. Sometimes Iā€™ll write a bit in French or Spanish, but Iā€™m not good enough to say everything I want to say in these languages, so I usually opt for an introduction in French/Spanish and then continue in English.

1 Like

I usually write English with some Filipino/Cebuano phrases and then Chinese when I write to Chinese speakers. Iā€™m often asked to write in full Filipino/Cebuano but it feels very unnatural to me. Even if Iā€™m fluent in both, I think of them as languages I speak, not languages I write

2 Likes

Always English unless the person speaks Dutch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I write in either English or German. English is my native language, but after a very long time here in Germany, writing in German is second nature.

Just today I sent card to a profile which was all in Spanish, and Spanish was the
only language listed spoken, so I put my text through Google translator and
letā€™s hope it makes sense!
At least, heā€™ll have a good laugh, if not :grinning:

1 Like

I mostly write in English since I get people that know other languages but the only that we match is English and translating is an option but if the app that Iā€™m using is not that good I donā€™t want to be embarrassed about something that I didnā€™t mean to write .
On second place will be German then Japanese ( like this I practice how to write more beautiful then before as well helps to write the Chinese address as well and the Japanese profiles I get , write "English - little " so I feel bad if I write in English )
Now even if my native languages are Russian and Bulgarian I have written in Russian multiple times but I think I only wrote 1 or 2 postcard in Bulgarian since I donā€™t get much addresses from there

1 Like

I write in English, or French is specified in the profile.
When I write to Japanese people I put some words in Japanese as Iā€™m learning it.
Once I wrote in German to someone who only reads German (I learnt German language in high school a long time ago).

2 Likes

English, French, Portuguese, Spanishā€¦ and some basic Italian

1 Like

Spanish for those that have it listed, otherwise just English. Once I received a message from an American postcrosser who corrected my grammar in their hurrah message ā€¦ and I am in the US, too! I found that a bit peculiar; I donā€™t think of myself of an awful writer at all! But I am also not a Nobel Laureate :laughing:.

2 Likes

English is my native language, but I also write in French and I can write a little bit in Japanese. I know a bit of German, only because I have sent so many cards to Germany !. A couple of skills that I gained from postcrossing is that I am good at predicting how long a postcard will take to get to that country, and reading foreign addresses. ( As in that word means street, or that is in the rural part of the city)

1 Like

Talking about sending postcardsā€¦ I mostly write in English, then, fortunately, I have found some postcrossers from Catalonia with whom I can write using my mother tongue: catalan. Then I write in Spanish, Italian, French and Occitan (in this order by average).

2 Likes

I write English ueual. after all English is my secend language that I began learning it at childhood. But hmm ā€¦ Iā€™m still not good at it :smiling_face_with_tear: . Recently I began trying to write some German and yes I started learning German, compare with English German is more harder , more complicated for me :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I usually write in english, portuguese or spanish. Lately I have been writing a little bit in Finnish as I am learning and, well, itā€™s nice practice for the language on the country that is now my home. :blue_heart:

1 Like

English and rarely Dutch.

1 Like

English Mandarin German French

1 Like