What have you achieved by postcrossing

What are the tangible and non-tangible things that you have achieved by postcrossing?

4 Likes

Hey :raising_hand_woman:t2:
I feel sorry that nobody replied to you.

I learned that some Postcrossers write cards because it’s simply their aim to receive cards back asap.
It’s the receiving aspect, not the connecting.

Their messages seem insignificant or superficial to me.
And to state that cleary - I only talk about my feelings and don’t want to offend anybody.

To me, the interaction is more important.
The inter-individual aspect.
I love people who tell about their lives and try to pick up issues of my profile they can connect with (or not) (that’s fine, too).

During that learning process I also realized that perhaps my assumptions aren’t correct which leads to a second learning process.

Perhaps people who only write “I’m X, I live in Y, and I love dogs, Happy Postcrossing” aren’t as uncharitable in their communication as I think they are.

Perhaps they aren’t persons of big words or did have a bad day. Or they found my profile weird and didn’t know where to tie up. Or it’s simply their personality or they didn’t have much time this day and … an endless so on…

So I learned to be much more tolerant and unprejudiced and always believe in the good intent.

Nevertheless I appreciate any sender that tries to build up a real connection with me, because this is what I also always try when I’m sending a card.
He or she will always receive a detailed Hurray message so that it feels harmonious for me.

Hope my impressions could give you some insights of the none-tangible things important to me.

Kind regardsđź’—, muh

8 Likes

This is a good topic!

Postcrossing has inspired me to visit many of the tourist destinations near me that I otherwise would not have gone to. I was motivated by finding tourist postcards but have enjoyed learning more about the place I live!

2 Likes

I have found greater knowledge about the places and things I share via postcard. I always try to give fellow postcrossers some extra information about the place they see on my card because I think it’s nice to learn about things rather than merely receiving a picture and not really knowing anything about what I am looking at, so that desire to share has made me a more knowledgeable person about the places and other images I share at the same time.

4 Likes

Finally, a reply, haha. It gives a good insight. For me too, I cherish the connection built by the card, more than the card. Some of my favourite cards had no drawings or art. Just emotions and heart felt connect.

3 Likes

Every postcard is different, every message is different - so, sometimes it is the postcard itself that is the connection and sometimes it is more the message that is the connecting part.
Overall I’m just happy with the postcards I receive - I always try to find the positive aspect of the sender. Can be exactly a postcard with something I enjoy or a well written story on the back of the postcard.
I put a lot of effort in my Hurray message by answering questions if asked or commented on the message itself. I always mention the postcard and if something unkown to me I will check internet to find out more about it.
My profile is long to give enough details about what I enjoy and I prefer long profiles. With care I will try to find a postcard that fits the receiver and write long messages. Even decorate a bit, because the stamps aren’t so pretty and always the same over here. I’m not a stamp collector, but I noticed I enjoy beautiful stamps being part of the Postcrossing Experience!
My point of view is that every Postcrosser is doing the best they can in between their possibilities. There also can be a difference between a beginner or an advance Postcrosser.

The Postcrossing Community is there to get more satisfaction in what can be your favorite topics. Mine is handmade postcards, Traveling Sheets or Notebooks and the chosen tags, like book related.

:blush:

3 Likes

I visited rare countries like Jersey,Guernsey,Monaco…guess why…

5 Likes

My achievement is that I brought a smile to my recipient(s).

2 Likes

I tried postcrossing because I love to connect with new people. That’s why before I write on the back of the postcard, I always read the receiver profile and looking for something in common so I can write a relatable and interesting topic to them. And I love to receive that kind of postcard too. I want to know the sender favorite books or movies, or what they love to do in their spare time. But in the end, I would love to receive any cards regards of any picture or stamps, because I just simply love postcrossing.

2 Likes

A way to connect with people all over the world and showing our rice culture, heritage, traditions…way of life…

2 Likes

I have achieved some perspective… the media is full of doom, gloom and bad news. I was beginning to feel that the world was an awful place filled with unpleasantness. Postcrossing has put me in touch with some truly lovely people and shown me that actually there is a lot of good people in the world!

2 Likes

There is already a thread along similar lines - What impact does postcrossing have on your life?

I’ve learned that sending postcards brings joy and smiles. Everything is so fast paced and instantly accessible so learning patience and feeling anticipation while waiting for a card is wonderful; like waiting for Christmas as a child. Also, learning so much about our world! I’m getting pretty good at geography, customs, saying “hello” in many languages and identifying flags.
I’m also incredibly humbled by so many people using one language to communicate. English. If it weren’t my first (and only!) language I would struggle to participate. Thank you everyone!! xx

4 Likes

Hi there ! This is a topic revival :joy:
I started postcrossing a few months ago but I already see a change in my way seeing this activity.

I started postcrossing because I wanted to receive postcards, and I’m not a penpal person (I don’t know what to say, my life is routine). Nothing less or more. BUUUUUT I quickly enjoyed sending postcards (I long to see a Hurray message just to get a new address :sweat_smile:). And I didn’t imagine that I was going to like stamps… And decorating postcards… And trying to match the décoration and the stamp with the postcard (which is quite hard in France we don’t have a lot of stamp choice).
And I love remembering the country (or the state for USA) of the sender, I learn geography, historical subjects or characters (according to the topic of the postcard)

:blush:

4 Likes

I was the same way - I never thought I’d be interested in washi tape and decorating my cards. But in the last few months, I’ve gotten obsessed with washi tape! I think washi tape and stamps are like stickers for adults (I used to have a sticker album as a kid).

Postcrossing’s given me a sense of patriotism. I look up facts to write on my postcards and learn about my city/state/country’s history. I learned that Americans invented a lot of things. It’s helped me feel a bit proud to be American…? (Feels wrong to say that openly for some reason)

5 Likes

It has me making notes of facts about my hometown/local area, things I didn’t know before! It’s also a really nice hobby as it gives me something to do on days where I’m trapped at home (I’m disabled), or a reason to go out that isn’t groceries/drs appts c:

4 Likes