What does your postbox look like?

Thanks for your answer, the concept still feels weird to me. :smiley: guess that’s just one of the many tiny differences between countries. And though the US always kind of feel very familiar to Europe, there are some significant differences I think. :smiley:

1 Like

The mailbox from Canada looks great

3 Likes

16 Likes

Huh. I see those are from Alto Adige/Südtirol. Not sure why they would have the second “international mail only” mailbox since “per tutte le altre destinazioni” seems to cover that! :laughing: I lived in Italy for a while and didn’t see anything but the red boxes. I believe I mailed some things from Bolzano, even, but I don’t remember these. Very interesting!

1 Like

I saw them in in Malcesine in Regione Venezia, so they were in use also outside Alto Adige/Südtirol.

1 Like

I did a better research!
They were in use all around the country and then dismissed (even if I didn’t find when!), but reintroduced in the autonomous province of Bolzano in 2018. The province signed a special agreement with Poste Italiane in order to both provide a better service and to preserve the bilingualism (if you notice the blue letterbox are both written in Italian and German)
:blush:

6 Likes

Super interesting! And that’s a reason I wouldn’t have seen them in Bolzano, I left Italy in 2016.

1 Like

On this photo you see the postoffice 8016 in Graz (Austria)
It‘s one of my favourite postoffice

5 Likes

This is the mailbox in which I always send my cards. You can find them everywhere around the city and they are pretty easy to spot given the shiny tone of yellow they are :hugs:

And today I went to the principal post office in Madrid located in the city centre, right in front of the famous Cibeles Fountain, and I took a picture of the old postboxes, even though they are no longer in use I found them quite interesting:

37 Likes

Here is my local post office…shabby looking

And the box where I drop off everyone’s cards

22 Likes

@SnowsNFurter, is there a non-Correos mail service in Spain? I dropped some postcards in a what looked like a normal mailbox in a Madrid train station. None of the ~10 cards arrived.

Come to find out, the box was owned by a private service that uses its own stamps? Of course it wasn’t clearly marked, and I can’t find that info anymore.

Still bummed that they didn’t drop my cards into the Correos stream. :confounded:

1 Like

Not a mailbox, but a friendly mail carrier in Paris, France. He’s holding a Postcrossing traveling toy.

46 Likes

Here is a view of the mailbox where I drop my cards:

They are normally yellow like this one, but in a nearby town, Baio, for some reason, there is one which has been painted black:

I love the post office in Santiago. Look at the ceiling!

My PO Box

Do you also take pictures of mailboxes when you travel? I took this one in Azores, for example :slight_smile:

32 Likes

… in his right hand? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Some postboxes (and a traveling toy) in USA and Victoria, Canada.
You can see all of this traveling toy’s adventures at

24 Likes

Yes! At cluster mailboxes, there is a slot for outgoing mail.

1 Like

Yes, you can. There is usually a slot to put outgoing mail.For that specific picture, I don’t know, but most cluster boxes have slots for outgoing mail.

3 Likes

Here in Albuquerque, this is not true. Houses are not targeted - people just steal mail, period. That’s becoming more common in the more urban areas. People here are desperate, especially the homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, and others who are up to no good. There are daily reports here of people’s mail getting stolen, and packages! Packages get stolen, in broad daylight, all the time. We call those folks Porch Pirates. They don’t care if you have a camera filming them, either. They will walk right up and steal your stuff and walk away. It’s crazy!

We have a doorbell camera, and two surveillance camera’s up to watch our vehicles and the front of the house. (We also had a burglary to our home in Dec 2017 as well, so we’re a little sensitive I guess.) Anyhow, we use a locking mailbox and take precautions when we know we have deliveries coming. People have been known to follow the delivery trucks, too, to get packages to steal.

4 Likes

Where in Italy are these postboxes found?

Which part of Italy are you at?