What does your postbox look like?

Usually my husband posts all my cards for me, but I really wanted to make the 7am collection, before the bank holiday weekend :postbox: luckily this Postbox is less than 2 minutes walk from our home x

9 Likes

I posted my postcards in this box this morning, outside Derek Jarman’s cottage (yellow window frames). Dungeness in the far south east of England.

It’s a very strange shingle landscape with these little wooden cottages scattered about higgledy-piggledy. You either love the landscape (me) or you loath it

15 Likes

The letterbox is there, so the infrastructure is perfect! :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, sure!

1 Like

Manchester, United Kingdom

11 Likes

My mailbox from when I was a child is now a toad house in my flower garden

13 Likes

Thank you!

Continuing the discussion from What does your postbox look like?:

What one of my mailboxes looks like at the moment. :smile:

10 Likes

5 days early.

The Outwood WI wishes everyone a happy summer! This is their newest postbox topper.

16 Likes

Rapunzel, the litte mermaid! :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, they seem to have muddled up their fairy stories and legends.

1 Like

They should have given her a red hood to make her “The Red Riding Hood” additionally!
Only Cinderelka would not work, because: No feet, no shoe! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m going to share some photos of Japanese mailboxes that have unique designs or are in interesting locations. @shermint, feel free to add them to your Instagram if you like (credits: @luciaintokyo)

• Kappabashi Street (Tokyo):
    This mailbox is decorated with pictures of kappa, a mythical water creature from Japanese folklore. The street’s name, “Kappabashi,” might come from these mythical kappa creatures or from a historical figure named Kihachi Kappaya who helped develop the area.

• Arima Onsen (Kobe):
    This classic red mailbox is in Arima Onsen, one of the oldest hot spring towns in Japan. The area is full of traditional wooden buildings and narrow streets, which gives it a charming, old-fashioned feel. Arima Onsen is famous for its hot springs and relaxing atmosphere, making it a popular spot for visitors.

• Setoda (Hiroshima):
    This bright yellow mailbox is in Setoda, a small town in Hiroshima Prefecture. The yellow color is because the area is the leading producer of lemons in Japan. Hiroshima Prefecture produces more lemons than anywhere else in the country, thanks to the ideal growing conditions on its many small islands. Setoda lemons are appreciated by many restaurants, and chefs across Japan.

• Kayabuki no Sato (Kyoto):
    This classic red mailbox is located in Kayabuki no Sato, a picturesque village in Kyoto Prefecture. The village is famous for its traditional thatched-roof houses, known as “kayabuki,” which are beautifully preserved and offer a glimpse into Japan’s past.

- Torikonosansho Shrine (Tochigi):
This mailbox is located at Torikonosansho Shrine in Tochigi Prefecture. The shrine is known for its lucky owl, considered a messenger from the gods that brings good fortune. The shrine complex includes the nation’s largest owl statue, an owl bell, and other owl-related features.

- Hirosaki (Aomori):
This mailbox is located in Hirosaki, Aomori Prefecture. It features a unique apple design on top, highlighting the region’s reputation as a major producer of apples in Japan. Hirosaki is famous for its delicious apples, and the mailbox design reflects this local specialty.

- Fukusaki (Hyogo):
This mailbox is located in Fukusaki, Hyogo Prefecture, at the site of the former Tsujikawa Post Office. The building, originally built in 1923, is now part of the NIPPONIA Harima Fukusaki Library Maison. The post office and the surrounding area have been preserved and transformed into a cultural and historical site. The site is associated with Kunio Yanagita, a prominent figure in Japanese folklore studies, who spent part of his childhood in Fukusaki

- Chogosonshi Temple (Nara):
This tiger-themed mailbox is located at Chogosonshi Temple, also known as the Tiger Temple, in Nara Prefecture. The temple is famous for its connection to tigers, which are considered guardians of the temple. This association comes from a legend that Prince Shotoku prayed to Bishamonten, the Buddhist god of war, at the hour, day, month, and year of the tiger, leading to his victory in battle. The temple grounds are filled with tiger statues and motifs, including the world’s largest papier-mâché tiger.

• Koi-Yamagata Station (Tottori):
    This vibrant pink mailbox is located at Koi-Yamagata Station in Tottori Prefecture. The station received a makeover in 2013, incorporating heart motifs and a pink color scheme to highlight the “koi” (love) in its name. The station features pink benches, heart-shaped signs, and even heart-shaped ema for visitors to write their wishes. The entire station radiates a theme of love, making it a popular spot for couples and those seeking good fortune in romance.

- Shinjuku (Tokyo):
This mailbox is in Shinjuku, Tokyo, and is decorated for the holiday season with a cute Santa Claus design.

29 Likes

These are wonderful. I love that Japan post itself decorated the postboxes.

4 Likes

These are wonderful! I’ve added them to my list of places (postboxes) to visit in Japan.

1 Like

Thank you! If you know of any more interesting postboxes, please let me know. I’m also creating a map :postbox:

3 Likes

This one in particular comes from an anime called Sarazanmai (さらざんまい) where the story is set in Asakusa.

3 Likes

Japan’s postboxes are indeed creative and beautiful and the design so well thought out. Thank you for this @ikigai and the informative descriptions that accompany your pictures!

2 Likes

A local postbox with a topper celebrating the town’s first Pride event

16 Likes