What does your postbox look like?

@miriginger and @RalfH
Here in Finland we have only yellow mailboxes nowadays, not blue ones any more.
The blue boxes were a short experiment when the Post of Finland had 1. class and 2. class inland taxes for letters. All mail goes now to the one box - local and global mail as well.

10 Likes

So the two classes system either did not pay or did not work. That is interesting, for Deutsche Post thinks about implementing it.

@RalfH
We Finns always obey the rules :grinning: So the two classes system worked. But our Post did some other mistakes with its financial moves (mostly abroad in the East) and after that it had to simplify the organization and services. Our 1st class letter took one day in Finland (and 3-5 days to Germany) on its way before… Nowadays it take one week (or more) to travel to its destination in Finland (and 7-14 days to Germany).

2 Likes

So Posti made it to not work properly any longer.
I thought of not working from Posti’s side, I had no doubt, that Posti’s users would do their part properly.

Just came back from Cuba and was able to pay visits to several post offices.

18 Likes

La Poste postbox in the gift shop in Les Invalides, Paris. It dates back to 1962.

Some vintage postboxes from the Paris postal museum

12 Likes

I though it might be nice to share a pair of cute postbox in Taiwan!
They are called the “Slanted postbox”, or “Crooked Waist postbox” in Chinese.

They were striked by a big typhoon back in 2015 thus form its shape, they become super famous because they looked like two people tiliting their heads together.
Originally, post offices decided to move them to another spot, but later decided that it’s more meaningful to keep them in the original place.

The post office even released official stamps and miniatures for these cute postboxes!

40 Likes

This Manchester post box will be popular come Valentine’s Day :heart_eyes:

21 Likes

@shermint

Hello
This post box is in Alameda, California.

15 Likes

Sharing another postbox I found today:

A pair of sword-lions(劍獅Jian-Shih) postbox!:dagger::lion::postbox::postbox:

The story of Taiwan all begins at An-ping, which is the first and oldest city in our country. Almost all households in this town have sword-lions as ornaments, they act as guards of the house to scare away evil spirits!

It can be a huge, delicate one hung across the wall

Or a tiny one that’s as small as the cap of a bottle

Hundreds of them come in different sizes and shapes hiding in the streets, waiting for us to find them.

Now the post office near An-ping decorates the postbox with sword-lions to protect our precious postcards :love_letter:
I think they did a pretty good job at keeping the mails safe!

23 Likes

I hope someone is still brave enough to try to take the mail out!

2 Likes

Just got back from a little trip to Brugge in Belgium with my girlfriend and took a picture of some postboxes. Mailed lots of cards in travel mode from there :smile:

12 Likes

Pillar boxes were introduced in Britain in the late 1800s during the reign of King George V, and they remain in use throughout the Commonwealth.
My local postbox is one of these! The distinctive red colour has been retained by the Sri Lankan Postal service and so has the Royal Cypher! These are made of cast iron and my neighbourhood box looks in remarkably good shape having weathered many a monsoon storm and occasional flood!

21 Likes

Although not an official Royal Mail postbox, this is located in the Montblanc store in London. Store provides a choice of retro writing themed postcards and postage for you to write and post in store.

17 Likes

Did they have fountain pen related cards?

Unfortunately they didn’t have any cards in stock when I visited.

Too awesome!

1 Like

I walked past this cute little one today in Krakow, Poland!

10 Likes

Enveloped only, so no postcards (that aren’t enveloped)?

2 Likes

I thought that initially, but postcards are fine, as the postmarks are quite big, just leave space below the stamp(s)

I don’t thinks the Royal Mail teams envisaged that postcard writing would take a renaissance, as many of their postmarks are more suitable for envelopes.

The example was on a postal museum postcard.

6 Likes