What do you do with your postcards beside collecting?

In my new office at home I’ve gotten two new ways to display cards :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello Friends,
I recently decided to share my postcards with an older cousin who has been in an assisted living facility for three years. I sent her all my 80 or so received postcards and she loves them! She is amazed by all the countries, the variety of postcards and stamps, and the messages from people of all ages and backgrounds. Sometimes I add an interesting note about a sender from their profile.

She asks me about Postcrossing, where I find postcards, and other questions so it gives us something new to talk about. The postcards also bring back memories of family vacations and other travels. Because we live about 1900 miles apart, it is an easy way for us to connect. She also shows the postcards to relatives who visit her, some residents and some staff.
Thanks for helping me to brighten her day!

11 Likes

I can get ~$30 CAD per shoe box full of sent postcards/envelopes from auctioning them at my stamp club, or selling to a stamp/cover dealer.

But I prefer to trade-in! When a stamp bourse is in town, I spend the day at the my fav dealer’s table, trawling through his boxes of mint stationary and postcards, choosing ones I think would be fun to use for postcrossing. At the end of the day, depending how much I select, either I owe him money, or he owes me money. Usually it works out pretty even:)

Also, recent cards are of great interest to collectors, as it is increasingly less common to find modern commemorative stamp usage of non-philatelic origin. This website is a wonderful exception to this trend.

2 Likes

I’m new here too and haven’t yet received a negative comment. Do you mean if the card you sent them didn’t meet their expectations, they send a complaint? Wow, I agree, that’s not what I understand Postcrossing to be about. I’m with you - I just love feeling a sense of community with people around the world, learning about places others call home, and finding a postcard in my mailbox instead of bills and junk mail! Also … it really feels like an honor when people take the time and creative energy to write and send a card, no matter what is on the front, or what or how much they say. Good plan about discarding the negativity – here’s to fun!

3 Likes

I always have the best new ones near to me for a while, either on my desk or on a bookshelf near by.
I sometimes show what I’ve received on Flickr.

And I also share them with friends and family over whatsapp sometimes.
Besides I store them in a box. As I am quite new, it’s only one box so far…but I am afraid, there will be more in the future.

Other than collecting, I use the cards as writing prompts: Ilze brüggemann (gertenbach) on LinkedIn: #postcrossing #postcards #writing

1 Like

I store in boxes but I display them in my craft room for a while …

If I have blank ones/used but not Postcrossing I have made them into travel journals on rings.

2 Likes

I love the travel journal idea. Appealing.

1 Like

Hi, just remembered a little old, shabby table I once had. I made the table a unique piece of art:
Decorated my favorite cards on it and coating them with clear varnish. So I had my postcard-table to enjoy everyday :melting_face:

… unfortunately I can’t show you a picture anymore, because it’s too long ago and I couldn’t keep the table forever …

2 Likes

I have folders with empty pocket in front, so I keep some postcards there too, here in one of my sheet music folders is music related ones:

1 Like

When people recommend music to me I used that to create spotify playlists!

1 Like