What did you acquire for postcrossing?

I bought a set of them on amazon.de for the Christmas insanity called “Postcards for a good cause” that will start on 01 December for all cards with an ID starting with “DE”. (Deutsche Post will donate 0.10 € to the German reading foundation for every card with a DE-ID sent in December and registered before March 2021 thst is why only cards with German ID are effected).
If I draw your address, I’ll send one your way.

9 Likes

Uh. Maybe more stamps. :blush:

34 Likes

The bottom ones are especially beautiful, @saintursula! Enjoy. :blush:

Today I acquired these two postcards. :heart_eyes:

34 Likes

I just glanced at that card on the left and thought the lynx was holding a gun :laughing:
now I’m both relieved and a bit disappointed that it is not.

10 Likes

Now I am disappointed that it’s not a Gangsta Lynx. :rofl:

4 Likes

Today spent about an hour at at local second hand/antique store going through postcards. Not the best corona-behavior, I know, but I was wearing a mask and went in the middle of the workday to avoid crowds. AND it got me a whole bunch of unused vintage postcards. here are some of them:

some as recent as the 1980’s (actually the whale tail one is from 1994) and some I think are from the 1920’s, but I’d have to do more research to be sure.
I usually don’t like touristic cards very much, but so many people request them, and I think this will be my way of fulfilling those requests more. For some reason I find older touristic cards much more interesting than the current ones.

What are your opinions of sending/receiving vintage postcards? do you mind if they’re not in perfect mint condition?

38 Likes

They often look outdated without looking historic, so maybe I’d be disappointed if I get one.

2 Likes

My opinion is: they’re postcards. Some are good, some not so good. It can be interesting, sometimes places have changed or the topics are different than what would be printed today.

6 Likes

I visited a town I’d never been to about an hour from me in order to take some photos for someone. While in the area I browsed a couple antique stores and found what may be my favorite postcard find so far. They even had some stamps already on them!

66 Likes

I am not fan of something political but this card is wonderful :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Yeah I’m honestly not a very political person either. But the shape, size (they are probably about 7x11), and just the history of them (political party aside) just makes me love it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a vintage card. And in regards to condition I guess that wouldn’t bother me either, adds character plus I figure sending it written and stamped its going to get some travel scars and added imperfections anyways. :blush:

6 Likes

Those are kind of amazing! And it’s funny that they decided to mirror the photo for whatever reason. Usually it wouldn’t be noticeable, but when they’re shaking hands … :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Ooooh!

I visited a sort of souvenir shop today as I was in the area and it had super cute but super expensive local merchandise. They had postcards which looked gorgeous but I had to ask what the price was… 4.50 Sing-dollars each! I only looked at the exact conversion now but my approximate one was good enough to tell me to put them down (you can get a meal here for that price!). 2.81 euros or 3.36 US dollars or 2.53 GBP. Madness!

But… there was something nearby that looked like a postcard set, all I could see was the card on top - a beautiful pattern - they were wrapped in transparent plastic and the price was 15 SGD. No indication of how many cards I was getting but it looked like a thick bunch so I reckoned at least 10, which seemed convenient. I bought them. Then I counted them outside the shop… there were TWENTY! 0.75 SGD per card! Oh who doesn’t love a bargain?! :innocent: They are patterns and flowers in a local style so I will be happily sending them (too lazy to take a picture ahah, maybe later).

(I also bought another definitely overpriced item but my mum would love it so I thought it worthwhile… Now I need to send it in the post but will wait until January to avoid the Xmas traffic jams).

12 Likes

You guys made me want to check out the local antique stores I passed countless times but never entered… :scream: There are actually two on my daily ways! But I never figured they could have postcards…

11 Likes

I bought some colored pens, a few washi tapes, stickers, and a rubber stamp for US postcrossing IDs. And then of course I needed a box for my received postcards and a pencil case to hold my pens.

I would personally love it especially if it was a vintage advertisement, pinup, photo? I love vintage stuff :relaxed:

6 Likes

yay! happy hunting @Axolotl_!

and thank you for your responses @RalfH, @saintursula, @alikat229 and @Sleep. I guess it shows, that old postcards, just like all other postcards are a matter of taste. Hopefully I can judge people’s tastes correctly based on their profiles, favorites and sent cards, so that I won’t send my vintage finds to anyone who would be disappointed.

3 Likes

Today I got these beauties:

with these poignant messages on the backs:

They are by the very talented Molly Brown on Etsy.
I also got a set of colorful vegetable cards from her shop.

29 Likes

I love the little rat rubber stamp! So cute!

1 Like