What costs more in your country, postcards or postage?

I can get 7-8 postcards for just one stamp. :frowning:

2 Likes

Same for me!

1 Like

Check the truckstops, usually they have cardsā€¦a bit generic but cost $.35
Sometimes Walmart or CVS have cards

2 Likes

Postage for sure. In January the price will go up and the postage will be ā‚¬1.65. For a regular postcard I pay around ā‚¬1

1 Like

We had a price increase on October 1st for postage here in Austria. Since then prices for postage and postcards are around the same. Itā€™s ā‚¬1.20 for a card within Europe, and ā‚¬1.90 for the rest of the world now, and for a decent postcard you pay between ā‚¬1.20 to ā‚¬1.80 (or even ā‚¬2.00). Everything below that price I consider a bargain, and of course there are also more expensive cards, but those mostly are already special in some way, or are from small local makers.

I even found one souvenir shop where I can buy touristy cards for as cheap as 50 cents, but that absolutely is not the norm here, and you for sure wonā€™t get any differently themed cards at that price :confused:

2 Likes

Yes, postage!
in 2022 : ā‚¬ 1,55
in 2023: ā‚¬ 1,65

In our village are may cards between ā‚¬ 0,55 and ā‚¬ 1,25.

Some arty small shops can be that expensive
ā€¦ not sustainable for postcrossing

1 Like

ā‚¬2.40?! Thatā€™s highway robbery! :laughing: I know thatā€™s not the most expensive postage in the world but it sure takes a lot of fun out the hobby :pensive: US postage for all international destinations is $1.40 or ā‚¬1.42, the same for a letter in an envelope. I know from Denmark itā€™s just over ā‚¬4.00 :scream:

1 Like

I would say itā€™s usually about equal for me here in the US. I probably pay about $1.40 on average for cards, and thatā€™s what international postage is. I could make it so the cards were a lot less than the postage, if I could make myself only buy cards in bulk or at locations Iā€™ve found where cards are very cheap (like most highway rest stops), but I canā€™t make myself stay away from etsy or the like, and so the average cost goes up a lot when you factor in the expensive cards I sometimes canā€™t resist!

3 Likes

Postage is getting more and more expensive here in Australia :confused: Maxicards are the most cost effective way at the moment, though still not cheap

1 Like

In :greece:Greece postcards cost ā‚¬0.30-ā‚¬1.00, most of them around ā‚¬0.50. I guess that some limited edition postcards may cost more.

Postage for postcards is currently ā‚¬1.00 for all destinations abroad.

2 Likes

Granted I pay an annual fee to waive shipping, but Zazzle has some really great cards with up to 50% discounts, plus my credit cards often have a 5% or 10% Zazzle offer to piggyback, making them roughly 70Ā¢ each with tax, sometimes less.

In Thailand if about 2 years ago send postcard just 12-15 THB
but for now cost it high up 35-40 THB per card
(46 - 35 THB) and (57 - 40 THB)
sometime post office donā€™t have information
so you can found have to stick stamp 40 THB per card
(itā€™s make me upset when send at new post office you have to give information to officer :sweat_smile:)

So lately if you received Thailand Postcard it less than 2-5 years ago
(due to the cost expensive more card)

2 Likes

Almost invariably the cards cost more, domestically, that is. When it comes to internationally, the reverse is true. And an international postcard is the same price as an international letter, so I make sure to save my slightly too large cards for international Postcrossers so that I donā€™t have to use letter postage domestically.

2 Likes

Both the rate of postcards and postage is very cheap in Bangladesh.

The price of a postcard is 3-10 BDT or 0.026 Pound - 0.085 Pound (0.030 USD - 0.098 USD)
And, the postage of a postcard is 20-30 BDT or 0.17 Pound - 0.26 Pound (0.20 USD - 0.30 USD). 20 for SAARC Countries and 30 for the rest of the world.

For envelopes, the cost is 40 BDT for Asia (0.40 USD / 0.34 Pound),
65 BDT for Europe and Africa (0.65 USD / 0.55 Pound), and
80 BDT for the USA (0.80 USD / 0.68 Pound).

BDT stands for Bangladeshi Taka.

6 Likes

My postcards are generally 1 Turkish lira; postage costs around 5 Turkish liras.

So definitely the postage costs more for me.

2 Likes

Post cards are definitely more expensive than postage. There are not a lot of post cards sold in Korea off line, and even on line, itā€™s not easy to get in sets. One postcard I buy usually costs $1.20-$2.70 per card.

postageā€¦ even if cards, at least turistic ones, are at ā‚¬1.20 and postage to Europe is ā‚¬1.30

The price for sending postcards in China is 0.8 yuanļ¼ˆ0.11 US dollarsļ¼‰. After investigation, it has been 18 years since the last price increase.
The postage for sending to other countries is 5 yuan (0.694 US dollars), but many stamps in China are sold at a 50% discount, so it only costs 2.5 yuan (0.347 US dollars).

The price of postcards is $0.13 per sheet, but if they are designed by an artist, it costs $1.3.
Compared to other third world countries, Chinaā€™s prices are not cheap.

1 Like

Well, about the previous person said. I umā€¦ holding different perspectives.
So I think what you said is all based on your perspective. It may be cheap for you to use so called an airmail postcard(you know what I mean), but that kind of cards is ugly,not fit with any wishlist.Basically, there are only a few kinds or lets say only got a few pictures of each cards. A responsible postcrosser from China like me will never ever use that kind of card for others.I would say very perfunctory if someone send that kind of cards.
If someone sending a "ugly"card with no stamps for swap a nice card or something like that . I would be sad.
Usually, a decent postcard costs at least 1-2 yuan each. If itā€™s an illustrated postcard or a postcard designed by a well-known designer, it may cost between 2.5-15 yuan, or even more expensive, just depending on the material of the postcard and what printing process will be use on the postcard, as well as where you buy your postcard. If itā€™s from a special store, then the price of the postcard will be higher.
Another thing is about the stamps, yes,itā€™s true that there are some discounts on our stamps, but itā€™s not like you said most of them are 50% off. According to my experience, if you buy stamps from online shop, the discount for good-looking stamps is about 10-40% off, and 50% off is a rare case, and most of them are so-called ā€œuglyā€ stamps or non-commemorative stamps. And about the number 2.5 yuan, youā€™re a bit too absolute. At least in my case, even if the stamps are discounted, my ā€œdiscounted postageā€ is more than 2.5 yuan. From my personal perspective, the price of sending an international postcard by airmail is probably around (postage + postcard) 5-6 yuan.
For some developed countries and area, such as the United States, Europe, or Japan, our postage or postcard prices are relatively cheap.

3 Likes