What are your experiences and thoughts as a lottery host (and participant)?

Edit to the mods: Thank you for approving this topic.

First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong category but where it should belong to there aren’t any topics like that and all topics there being actual lotteries only which will be automatically closed after a certain amount of days. Which also means that there is no exchange of thoughts provided. This topic is about lotteries; and I have wanted to write about it for quite a while now…so please have mercy on me. Thank you. :innocent:

As a participant
My experiences and thoughts as a participant are rather simple: either I win or I don’t. I have no real preference concerning the kind of lottery, chain or normal. Both are ok, although the latter one doesn’t require any effort from me later. :wink: My experiences with WTA lotteries are limitted: only participated once and I don’t know if my mail arrived.
What are your experiences as a participant? What are your favourite lotteries (WTA, chain, normal, mystery, …)? Do you have a preference how the winner(s) is/are picked? Do you mind being the first entrant in a lottery? Do you check the postal monitor before you enter?

As a lottery host
As a lottery host I’ve made the experience that I’d wished for certain participants to win, especially when they have repeatedly participated in several of my lotteries–only to realise that the random number generator or postbot picked another number. My capacities are limited (not enough samples of the same postcard, stamps, time, etc.), thus I cannot write/sent the offered postcard/stickers/whatever flat item to all the participants who entered my lotteries. :frowning: Although I sometimes do wish I could do so. :weary:
Have you ever experienced something similar as a lottery host?
As a lottery host: What are your favourite lotteries? If you raffle off postcards, do you prefer your participants/winners to choose w/s or blank in envelope? What is your favourite method to pick a winner (and maybe why)? What items do you like to raffle off?

The next question is tricky and probably difficult to answer if at all: How random actually are random number generators? Sure, the drawn number(s) also depend(s) on the number of participants and how many winners there will be (one or more). I checked all my lotteries (normal and chain) and found that a few numbers were repeatedly drawn a few times (!) by either number generator or postbot.

Furthermore, I remember one participant who didn’t want to start as the first entrant (#1). This seems to be the case for quite a few lotteries. At least in all my lotteries this number hasn’t been drawn yet (as haven’t several others; again depending on the amount of participants, etc.). But same might be true for the last entrant–I don’t know and didn’t check respectively.

Additionally, as a lottery host I have some fears: Forgetting to end a lottery and pick a winner (nearly happened once–remembered the lottery a few days later than planned); that my postcard, etc. is not arriving/getting lost; that my offered item is not good enough, so no one wants to participate; that I mix up the winners and their prizes (when more than one winner is picked). What are your “concerns” if you have any?
What I would also wish for: Being able to send off fat envelopes. This is something I cannot do unlike other postcrossers and lottery hosts. Therefore, only flat items. :zipper_mouth_face:

What is more fun for/to you: Participating in a lottery or hosting one?

21 Likes

This is an interesting topic. I often enter lotteries but if I win usually ask the host to send the card to someone I am running an NonRAS lottery for. I am selective about which lotteries I enter. As a participant I usually try and add a message with a bit of depth rather than “Thank you for the lottery. I like X”. I notice there are a lot of people that enter every lottery and don’t put a lot of thought into their messages. I think it is an effort for the host to run one and it is a shame when people treat it as a freebie rather than a opportunity to connect. Like you, I do not begrudge it if I do not win…it is simply the luck of the draw. I always check postal monitor before I enter.

I have only hosted two lotteries, one chain and one regular lottery. In both I did hope some of the more thoughtful participants with interesting answers won. I have an unusual lifestyle in that I housesit most of the time so I am on the move a lot. When participants request the card send in an envelope it is inconvenient as I don’t try to just keep essential items with me and I don’t have a supply of envelopes that fit postcards easily (a regular business envelope is usually too small). I think if I was offering future lotteries I would just add a rule that the postcard would be written and stamped. The first lottery I ran was a regular one and it generated a lot of interest and great conversation. I was pleased with how it went. The second lottery was a chain one and I didn’t get a great deal of interest, which was disappointing. It is a lot of work to keep up with the comments and to remember to close it, send cards etc. This is why I value people who write thoughtful messages. One of the terms of the chain lottery was that the winners hold a lottery themselves. So far two of my winners have not done this (to the best of my knowledge). In the future when holding a lottery I think I would state that I will post the winners cards when their lottery is up and running and I would note this in the initial post to launch the lottery to prevent this situation. It is a bit uncomfortable to have to send a reminder. I was more inclined to go the extra mile for winners who entered with a quality message i.e. one was a stamp collector so I used lots of vintage mint stamps with themes that fitted their profile wishlist.
I have appreciated it when winners have messaged to say they got the card and when they really value the card.
I don’t have a preference for being a participant or host but I find it fun when a lottery creates interesting conversation or when I learn something new.

A shout out to @DaisyDekker who often runs lotteries and she manages to get some great conversation going.

12 Likes

I’m new here but I’ve entered a lot of lotteries and won a couple. They are fun! I only enter the ones I’d like to win and not just any. I don’t care about entering first, or how they choose winners, or whatever. It’s not that serious to me to worry about it.

I’ve hosted a couple. One chain and two non-chains. I used postbot for the random winner but also picked a couple of people that I just wanted to win. Why not? As long as I do the random winner, I don’t see why I can’t send my cards to whoever I want.

My child is the one sending and receiving cards and it has helped with the wait on official cards. And the low slots for sending. She loves both sending and receiving.

6 Likes

I have hosted two lotteries so far, finding the participants genuinely interested rather than just collecting more cards. The winners were not any names I recognized, but each seemed very pleased to win, with appropriate thank you notes when the cards arrived.

“A shout out to @DaisyDekker who often runs lotteries and she manages to get some great conversation going.”

She is among the most interesting people I’ve encountered here … and there have been many!

5 Likes

Do people usually like it if there are other comments/chats going on in their lotteries? From what I’m seeing in a lot of chain lotteries (I say, despite only being here for a few days haha), it’s just a lot of a numbers going down in a row. For mine, I’ve asked people to tell me some things about a national park they’ve gone to before/want to and I’ve gotten so many great responses to them, but I’m not sure what else to do besides liking it?

Although I do think that some of my hesitance comes from still getting used to the forum format. At least currently it’s all still just one post per person…

3 Likes

It’s totally fine to chat in your own lottery thread (if you are the host) and if you want to talk more about it, just send a PM.

There is no clear rules when engaging in discussion in a lottery. But it would be wise not to do it in lottery that is host by other than yourself. It may cause the entry number mixed and not in sequence.
The host may not like it when this situation happen.

If I want to add a lines or two, I will add a note to remind the next entry number as such on the top and bottom of my post.

Example:

+++ Next number is #78 +++

Write something here.

+++ Next number is #78 +++

This method will tell other the correct numbering and less mistake is made. At the same time, I get to join the discussion without making trouble to the host.

Sometimes host don’t mind at all and let the discussion flow. I think host will tell you if they don’t want their lottery clutter with discussion.

6 Likes

The randomness of postbot random number generator was discussed: [NOT A BUG] Postbot chooses the same numbers and even a test from statistical/math point of view was taken: https://community.postcrossing.com/t/postbot-randomness-test-results/155305, so at least there you can be relieved that it is truly random =)

And postbot chose #1 in one of my lotteries once (https://community.postcrossing.com/t/closed-chain-lottery-499-why-you-should-wear-white-if-you-have-a-white-cat/276516/17)

9 Likes

Hi
I keep seeing references to lotteries within the forum but I’m clueless as to HOW they work. Of course, I know all about the National Lottery in the UK with money prizes but can someone provide a link or quick synopsis of how it works for postcards? Prizes? I’m intrigued and would love to take part!! :smiley:

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Gail,

Lotteries happen when the host has postcards that they want to share.

Usually what happens is the host posts the item they wish to give away (postcard, stamps, stickers etc), then people participate by numbering and tagging themselves.

Eg. #1 @Seracker

Each lottery will have rules set by each individual host, just follow them and you should be well on your way to participating.

Have fun!

EDIT:
There are normal lotteries and chain lotteries.
Normal lotteries means you don’t have to host a new lottery if you win.
Chain lotteries means you have to host a new one if you win - hence carrying on the chain

@gailthesnail

8 Likes

I think chain lotteries aren’t that popular as normal ones anymore, or at least earlier when I was participating and following the numbers more active it seemed so. I guess people are a bit bored to them after thousand(s) of chains.
I don’t take part of them anymore very often, only if the card is something I really would like to have. The latest chain I won, I ended the chain and got more people to take part.

When I take part, I also like to write something else than just my number and thank you. I really like the ones in which the host asks something.
I don’t mind being the first, I have won a lottery with number 1.

When I host a lottery I always ask a simple question, usually something related to the card and love to read the answers. I remember being a bit disappointed when one of my lotteries was won by a member who didn’t answer it, but luckily it was a popular one and I decided to have 3 winners instead of 1. Then used Postbot again and got 2 more winners who had wrote lovely messages.

10 Likes

An interesting topic. When I host a lottery, I put in what the lottery is. Example Iron Maiden cards and how many winners. So when people are looking at the lotteries they know at a glance what is being offered. I love hosting lotteries (you may have noticed!) :joy: I also put in the title if the lottery is open or closed.

My friend Moonbeanz picks winners for my lotteries now, before that I used postbot. If you want to host one, do so have fun with it. If you want to take part, take part.

It’s just another fun part of this lovely community :grinning:

7 Likes

I only participate in “normal” lotteries and only if I really like the cards or prize.
I always try to write more than just name, number and thank you.
But sometimes I just don’t know what to write.

I really don’t like chain lotteries and lotteries where you have to do a lot, where the 1st post is very long.

What is a lottery? (This is my personal opinion)
That is that you buy a lottery ticket and then have a chance to win a prize. You pay a small fee (Like name your favorite animal, favorite emoticon, something else small) with your name & number. That is a lottery in my opinion. Whoever organizes it gives something away. If you win, you get something.

If you first have to do a lot just to be able to participate or after you have won the prize you have to organize a lottery yourself, I don’t understand why that is a lottery. In both cases you pay for your price. A lot of people pay and only one (or a few) get a price. So many people pay “a lot” and win nothing. You just ‘pay’. You pay by having to do a lot to participate and maybe win a prize or you pay with a new lottery. The person who organizes it then does not give anything away and you do not get anything. Whoever organizes it wants something in return and you pay. It might be more of a trade / swap then.

• I prefer simple normal lotteries
  • I prefer complicated lotteries
  • I prefer chain lotteries

0 voters

To be honest, when I first read about chain lottery, I thought of a different meaning. Not that if you win, you have to organize a lottery. I thought it had to do with the topic. So if it was a chain lottery about fruits and vegetables, then the next lottery should be in that subject as well. So that a chain lottery about e.g. Harry potter would really be for HP fans and they could win/give away all sorts of HP stuff.

About the participants. I see that some participants really try their best to do it right. They read the first post well, they respond nicely, write a really nice and serious response. And others write their name and number and sometimes not even thank you.

I think some people also participate in a lot of lotteries, just to win as much as possible. But do you only participate in the lottery if you really like the card / prize? Or do you also participate in lotteries whose prize you don’t like? (With “prize” I mean the postcards or things you can win)

• I only enter a lottery if I really like the prize.
  • I also enter a lottery if I don’t like the prize.

0 voters

If you only participate in lotteries where you really like the prize, other people who may not win often or never have a better chance. Give other people a chance to win too.

I think there are often very nice prices. Not only postcards, but also bookmarks, stationery, stickers, etc. I really like that. Sometimes you can choose or you can get a mix. It’s fun for everyone. But it is also nice that people who have less money to spend or who live in countries where materials may be very expensive, can still collect all kinds of materials in this way.

What do you like to win?

• Written postcard
  • Blank postcards
  • Stickers
  • Stationary