[NOT A BUG] Postbot chooses the same numbers

Hello!
I host Winner Takes All Round Robin, that works like lotteries. There are many groups with 5,6,7,10 participants. I asked postbot to choose a lucky number and it chooses almost always 1, rarely 5 and that’s all (once 2,8) I think that postbot chooses only the same numbers. Or I do something completely wrong and should use for example random site for this game.
Please, help me with this problem. Does postbot choose always the same numbers?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have not noticed this issue with postbot. As long as you put in the last number for last number and number of dice it should work fine.

Unless anyone else has, had an issue.

1 Like

I think I noticed something similar by looking to others lotteries, very often I see nrs. by Postbot in the 10’s or 20’s chosen from a total of 60-70-80. I’m not sure about it, but would like to know from others what they experience.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately.
This is why I don’t use the postbot anymore.

1 Like

I checked all lotteries I used postbot for, not many, but in most except one indeed postbot was choosing number from first half of set. But when it had to choose 6 numbers from 80, they were evenly distributed

We can roll it here in the post to check on larger amount of tries, maybe? :thinking: Because as I remember from statistics even for coin 50/50 randomness 100 tries won’t show real probabilities

1 Like

One postcrosser tested postbot last year and showed results here:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/postbot-randomness-test-results/155305

8 Likes

I believe postbot chooses a random number. I don’t understand much of Ruby but looking at the dice rolling program, I can see that it generates a random number using the rand function.

1 Like

I sometimes run two Lotteries; one for stamps and one for postcards. I have used used RANDOM to generate winning numbers. For example, I’ll have a lottery with a start number of 100. At the end time of the lottery, I will see that 47 people have entered the lottery. In the Random Number generator box, I will insert #100 in the “Minimum” box and #147 in the “Maximum” box as parameters. I then click “Generate” and the number of the winner will pop up #132 (example).

2 Likes