How can we prevent postbot from producing same numbers

Just as the title suggests…
Thank you very much.

1 Like

If you roll the dice there is always a chance that you get the same number twice. The postbot is programmed to use virtual dice that work on the same principle. You can decide how many dice are used and how many sides the dice have, but you can’t affect the randomness of a roll. (Another limiting factor is that a die can have only up to 120 sides. You can ask postbot to use a bigger die, but it tells 120 is the maximum and never gives a higher number).

2 Likes

I don’t think you can, it’s rolling dice, if you get a duplicate roll again

2 Likes

I don’t use the postbot here (have no idea where it is), but a lot of random generators have the same problem. When I have a large number of entries, I’ll split them into the number of winners divided by the number of winners and then “roll” for each section. Let’s say I had 99 entries/3 winners - I would have 3 number combinations (1-33, 34-66, 67-99). This means that people in different stages of signing up have equal chances of winning, and I never have to worry about a duplicate number.

That said, what I normally is use a wheel spinner (up to 50 numbers). Once one number is chosen I can remove it from the list, so it never shows up again. I use this in my class with my students all the time and it’s my preferred random generator.

5 Likes

That is already discussed here

2 Likes

Less advice and an actual fun fact; this is likely a feature and not a bug. According to a video I once watched, REAL unedited randomness often doesn’t… look random, because we as humans are hardwired to pattern seek.

They had to edit things like iPod’s shuffle when it came out, because people kept getting annoyed that the same songs/artists would play a lot - in reality it was coded to be truly random, but of course we notice these things!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.