Users who wait to register cards

Thank you for posting, because I didn’t know that this was an issue. I have only been a.member for a couple of weeks. However I haven’t received a single card from a registered sender. Now I am wondering if this is the reason?

How widespread do you think this practice is?

I think this post make it seems more widespread than it is, you can find a number of threads from the other side that ask why their address was given out so many times on a single day and so they received a bulk of postcards all together. It’s the postcrossing algorithm that does this.

3 Likes

It’s not super common! I wouldn’t worry too much, some cards take longer than others especially since they can be coming from far away - my longest ever posted card took over 80 days! As long as you’ve sent some, your address will be in the pool and it’s just a matter of a waiting game :slight_smile: I’ve only seen maybe one person who did this, so far.

2 Likes

Exactly the same here, in Czech Republic. I get international mail usually once a week, but now - during the summer holiday - it’s much worse. And I really get 10+ postcards one day and then nothing for a week or two. I found it super annoying and it makes my registering worse: if I get one or two postcards, there is always time to register it / them almost immediately. If I get many cards at one moment, I need much moře time to look and read and enjoy it, think about response, write it…

12 Likes

That’s fine.

1 Like

Hi @Jadzeea
Welcome to Postcrossing!

Your stats suggest that none of your cards have been registered yet, so your address won’t even have gone into the pool yet for you to receive one.
It would be very unlikely for them all to go to people who delay registration (normally for legitimate reasons like having a PO box) , so the most likely explanation is that they are still on the way.
If you can see your travelling list you can work out the average travelling time to that country.
There is a thread somewhere about time to first postcard, if I can find it I’ll post the link.

Edited to add links

2 Likes

@luckycherry
In my opinion it’s fine. There are lots of countries in the world where post doesn’t get delivered to the address and has to be collected. I’m confident that people are not able to collect every day for many reasons.

I remember sending a card to someone who had to row a lake to get their post. It’s just part of the joy of learning about snail mail.

6 Likes

Thank’s a lot for this answer @Selena

1 Like

I’m just going to rant away…

I’ve drawn three addresses lately where the user hadn’t been online for over a month and have less than 20 cards exchanged. I think there should be an auto deactivation… because I’m sending from Canada. I’m sitting on 30-40+ days for cards travelling to the USA.

As well as send one to an active user in the USA, messaging them to see if it arrived. Having them tell me it did but they couldn’t read the number well enough so they didn’t bother registering it.

It takes 100+ days for cards I send to China to arrive, yet I receive ones sent to me in 40ish days on average.

As well I recieved a senders original card from Malayasa a month after recieving their replacement card.

I get it people are busy. But just put a note in your profile if you may not be able to register recieved cards right away.

3 Likes

That is not possible.
If a user not logged in for more than 30 days, an account is set to inactive.
Of course you can get addresses of user who were not online for 29 or 25 days, but not more than a month.

7 Likes

Once a week might be too few, because a newbie’s card might be in the PO box waiting for a whole week additional to the travel time. How about goung twice a week?

4 Likes

There is. The account will be set automatically to inactive if user doesn’t log in in a month.

3 Likes

I think should report that? Because always can ask help for the official side, and they just ignore that… i believe every card matters, so doing some extra time and work is worth it. That receiver really did not care :pensive:

1 Like

I was checking travelling cards at their two weeks in the mail point. The profiles wouldn’t have been inactive yet. I’m just fustrated. Like drawing a blank profile with 1 registered sent card and they haven’t been online in a 2 weeks. I’m just not optimistic

After I provided the number they told me they would… month ago now.

1 Like

When you pulled the address, their last log in was within one month. But maybe they logged in three weeks ago and died two weeks ago, you never know.

2 Likes

Oh no! That sucks. Particularly as it’s your regular post office. Is there a someone who can go with you, or even a trusted friend who can pick up your mail occasionally?
How many cards do you estimate usually average receiving per week? I know that’s hard to estimate, since there’s no set amount for anyone. My mail here really varies, compared to my hometown (moved last year). I seem to receive mail/cards in clumps for a couple days, and then a week or two with no cards at all.

2 Likes

Of course you can check the profiles.
Nothing will change. The only way you can see that it has automatically become inactive is by looking at when the user was last logged in.

activ

inactiv

2 Likes

Agreed! This should be reported. There is a process in place to ask for help on Postcrossing if a number is illegible or not on the card.
Is the recipient new to PC? Maybe they don’t know, but it’s in the FAQs too. Just takes common sense and a little curiosity to find the help request form, only takes a couple minutes to fill it out. The follow up is important.

3 Likes

I would follow up with another message. Not making excuses for them, but who knows what’s going on in their life; either they are forgetful, distracted, or disorganized, or something bigger has occurred. Either way, a brief courteous reminder message will hopefully get it taken care of and registered. You could even include the info in your message about the FAQs and how to request a card number if it’s not legible or included. Sounds like they need to help, or motivation :wink:

2 Likes