US Stamps on International Postcards

That’s ridiculous. Why should the national post charge shipping for every order? But I heart it from other countries, too. (In Germany the shipping is free when we order for 20€+ from Deutsche Post, at the moment all orders are free regardless of the order amount… it has been like this since the start of the pandemic, so people would rather buy them online instead of going to a post shop)

I am so glad to read this! I am new to postcrossing and have been just using the succulent stamp and was wondering just last night if I could use others or if I “had” to use the “international” one.

I can see that many are bored with the succulent so I will go to the post office!

4 Likes

The short answer is that the USPS, although a federally-controlled agency, operates in some ways like a private business.

For decades, there has been a tug-of-war debate between maintaining a federally-sustained mail service that fulfills its “universal service obligation” (providing affordable, uniformly-priced service to every citizen in every part of the country) and privatization, which, some argue, could make services more competitive and profitable for the federal government. (Of course, it doesn’t have to be “either/or.” But especially during the last several years, there has been heavy partisan politicization of the subject.)

Notably, the United States Constitution mandates a secure government postal service, making the USPS (before 1970, the United States Post Office Department) the second-oldest federal agency in our nation’s history. This has not discouraged attempts to dissolve the USPS, as Lisa Graves–a law professor and expert on the relationship between special interest groups and the US government–explains in this interview.

4 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. Post in Germany is a private business, there are more than Deutsche Post, but only regionally operating (for private customers). With national post I meant the most common one, doing most of the business, nevertheless if it was privatised or not.

1 Like

Thank you. @aerobear I have paid you

@princeofasturias No need to pay :slight_smile: I’m happy to help out.

Usually I got those round global forever stamps and while I understand that not everyone has time or resources to get other different stamps, they do get boring after awhile.

The designs of US stamps are some of my favorites honestly. :heart_eyes:

I love the Harvey Milk one.

These working dogs stamps are also adorable.

There is a US stamp account on instagram and the curator has showed me so many beautifully designed US stamps. They are art really. :heart: @edelweiss_post

5 Likes

Half of the cards from US are stamped with Globle circle ones.
Some crossers will try to put more old stamps while it’s easy to find and not expensive.

I do love those forever value ones such as:

6 Likes

Yesterday I received these:

I really liked them and I don’t remember I had receive before, but Energy Awareness Month almost kill the little fishes!!! :scream::rofl:
I don’t think I ever received stamps from USA I didn’t like.

3 Likes

I love this Views of our Planets stamp series. Luckily I was able to get all of them. And even the Pluto one which was released later on.

1 Like

Wow, I love the ones with storms!! :heart_eyes::tornado::cloud_with_lightning:

1 Like

It’s not called Fish Awareness Month for a reason. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The release of the $2 Inverted Jenny (airplane) stamp included some deliberately printed non-inverted to increase interest in buying them. This intentionally-created rarity was considered scandalous. All were sold in a sealed envelope so no one would know if they got the rarities until it was opened.

2 Likes

Lucky you! :slight_smile: I’m still missing Uranus and Mars, but I do have Pluto. :ringer_planet: That really is a very nice series.

I have a sheet of the cloud/storm stamps. Please send me a DM if you’d like to swap cards. :grinning:

8 Likes

Patrick from Edelweiss Post is actually a postcrosser! :slight_smile: Maybe one day he’ll come around the forum and delight us with photos of his colorful stamp collections…

4 Likes

After seeing this post I went out and got the non-succulent stamps! Guys…I spent $112 USD on stamps! Yikes!!! Too many choices

But I love the ones that come from other countries and I know I am spending the same amount no matter which ones I buy but I usually only bought one sheet of the succulents at a time rather than this many haha!

I am happy with what I’ve gotten though and can’t wait to send them out. I got all of these plus the US flag ones. Apparently the Mayflower ones are very sought after according to the postal clerk.

w

19 Likes

I don’t have any castles so I’m not bored of them! I am a newbie though so hopefully it won’t be too long till I get one!

Wow! Whoever gets the chance to receive a card from him will be so lucky. :heart:

1 Like

Look at it this way … you get to send out a fun variety of stamps now! And if postage prices go up, you’ve actually saved money!

4 Likes