US Stamps on International Postcards

For the priority labels it’s exactly the same in Germany.

Yes, there are many in Europe and Asia. I always try to put a priority label then. In many countries it’s called priority and economy. Austria, Finland, Japan, …

I usually use one of the Global Forever stamps worth $1.20 USD. They’re usually floral. I find it much easier to apply a stamp that covers the entire national price of a postcard rather than using multiple stamps even though multiple stamps can become more creative.

Since reading this topic I have bought 2 different kinds of stamps as opposed to the usual stamp I send from England. I’ve bought James Bond and Rupert Bear ones which should spice up the postcards that I send for a short while.

5 Likes

Yes Switzerland does but it’s called Economy. AFAIK it doesn’t go by boat or anything like that. The cards are just stored somewhere waiting for cheap flights. Meaning when I sent a 200g letter by Economy (1$ less) to New Jersey, it took only 4 days (but it could’ve taken 3 weeks…).

Rupert Bear! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I had several Rupert books as a kid, sent by my aunt who lived in Gerrards Cross. I adore the illustration style and the warm color palette of the original books.

In Russia surface mail now costs 50 rubles and airmail costs 55 rubles, but it seems there’s no difference in travel time :thinking: I sent my cards to the USA by airmail tariff yet they all traveled for more than a month (while my cards to Japan traveled for 2 weeks). What’s interesting, I’ve heard that postcards sent at the surface rate are delivered at the same speed as airmail. What a mystery! (I even asked at the postal office whether it’s okay to send to other continents by “surface” and they were fine with it)

On the topic, thanks for showing the variety of stamps! :heart:

I haven’t used the round global forever stamps in a while … I usually use two forever stamps + 10ct pear. Or 70 (butterfly) + 35 (domestic postcard) + additional oz (hats). Or 85ct (2oz letter) + 35.
But I also shop for stamps on ebay and will often use multiple. The $1 stamps are underused as well imho. :wink: With that being said … Outgoing to Germany today are those two cards:

13 Likes

I agree, I have sent some pretty special stamps out and that postmark has ruined them. Also the forever unpopular Pen Cancel.

3 Likes

I agree. I think the $1 Statue of Freedom stamp is gorgeous, and I like the intaglio printing, which gives it an old-world texture.

4 Likes

I got my first pen cancellation just the other day!

I found it more hilarious than annoying, because it’s huge and hurried. :rofl: Our poor postal workers have had it rough lately.

(But that ferret stamp, though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

1 Like

it’s a polecat :smiley: I love that series, too (all those animal babies are just adorable!)

2 Likes

Here in Norway we’re told that we need to affix a prioritaire sticker on our mail, even though we don’t have the option to choose between economy and prioritaire mail. Maybe it’s because the Norwegian postal service wants the foreign postal services to threat the mail as prioritaire mail?

1 Like

I like this answer! I also like to imagine that the sender considers me a priority. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I know that it is easier to automatically detect international mail when a label is attached. At least that’s the reason why German Post advises to use them (but we’re not obliged to use it). We don’t have economy / surface mail either. All mail is priority.

I didn’t do that when I was in Norway, as no one told me. :scream: All my cards arrived quickly nevertheless.

I do honestly believe that the stickers doesn’t help a lot anyway.

Tell me about it. I started then had to stop because of life. I missed out on jack-o-lanterna and sharks. Theh are know avaliable on ebay or some other sites

@princeofasturias I have a few jack-o-lanterns and sharks. DM me your address and I can send (either on a postcard or mint in envelope).
I would hate for you to miss out on those.

Hello Beavers. I use 2 Forever stamps and the 10 cent red pear stamp. Sometimes I’ll use two 5 cent grape stamps, since I have a few sheets left over from before the postage change.

I buy stamps from the official USPS eBay store when there’s eBay Bucks promos. I’m honestly shocked postage stamp orders are eligible, but they are. I usually use one American flag stamp as one of the Forever stamps.

I buy stamps from USPS official Ebay account. Oddly enough they arrive faster than if I ordered them from the actual USPS site. Buying from the official ebay account costs me the same price as the website. Both sites just charge shipping. 1.30 for under 50 and 1.80 for over 80

1 Like