US Charles Schultz Discontinued?

Already?! It was just released this Fall!

2 Likes

What?! Oh no! Hopefully they’ll reappear…didn’t the Shel Silverstein stamps pop in and out of availability a couple of times?

Looks like press sheets are still available:

2 Likes

What are press sheets? I’ve always been curious, but didn’t have anyone to ask! Are they normal stamps? :relaxed:

Press sheets with die-cuts are normal stamps, just not separated into sheets of 20. So the Shultz press sheets with die-cuts is like 6 sheets of stamps on one big panel. Press sheets without die-cuts can’t be used as stamps because they haven’t been cut into the stamp shapes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Could they be sold out? That happens sadly.

My guess is that they’re sold out.

Otters in Snow isn’t available anymore either.

They had Otters yesterday online. I should have bought them then.

I did see this one is now on their website. :heart_eyes_cat: :dog:

3 Likes

Not quite correct. All U.S. stamps issued in press sheets without die cuts can be used for postage. All you need is a pair of scissors.

4 Likes

@richardlater - Have you tried that with USPS stamps? The listings for the press sheets without die-cuts specify “The stamps on these sheets do not contain perforations for mail use,” which doesn’t specifically forbid trying, I guess? Do people do that with Canadian stamps (which I only ask because it looks like that’s where you live)? From my understanding, the press sheets without die-cuts are for collection purposes, not for mailing, but maybe someone with experience working for the USPS could shed more light on the topic. @GonePostal1840 - do you have knowledge about this? Can someone buy a press sheet without die-cuts, cut the stamps apart themselves and use it as valid postage?

Edit to add: Now I’ve been reading up trying to find info on the topic…

Here some people talk about cutting them to use as postage:

This post sums up my previous understanding: “Imperf No Die Cuts are more for display/framing because it was never meant for use.

Die cuts were meant for use so it’s easily separated.”

Here’s a good article about press sheets:

1 Like

They still have a lot of related merchandise in the store

https://store.usps.com/store/results?Ntt=Peanuts

I see that the the Charles Schultz WITH die cuts is still available (about 4:45 pm EST)

As for stamps with no die cuts or perforations:

As far as I can tell you can cut the stamps out and use them individually or in multiples. I cannot find a single prohibition in the DMM. The only things you CANNOT cut out are the stamps found on PRE-stamped envelopes, cards, and aerogrammes. A member at the Stamp Community Forum which you linked to actually showed an example of how he used stamps cut from a press sheet to pay for a certificate of mailing. I have cut stamps from nonperforated press sheets for decades to use for postage and never had a problem. This is not to say you will have the same experience as you might get a postal employee who has misread the DMM or someone who just wants to give you a hard time. It has been mentioned in other philatelic forums.

1 Like

Thank you @GonePostal1840 and @richardlater for teaching me something new! I think I’ll stick with the perforated stamps simply for the convenience and, yes, to avoid potential drama at the post office :sweat_smile:

@adriennefriend - I was mistaken and you can use the press sheets without die-cuts as postage if you want to cut them yourself!

2 Likes

Check an out of the way/little used/obscure post office. I did the other day and they still had stamps from years ago that no longer are on the website, such as the 3D/lenticular T. Rex stamps and the Moon Landing stamps.

6 Likes

This seems to imply that they’re sold out needing to run more, but don’t want to take backordered sales. But, I’m new at USPS ordering …

I’m sure it will be back in stock soon. It hasn’t been 3 months since the stamp release and 50 million stamps are being printed.

3 Likes

How did you go about seeing the inventory? Were they still on display in the glass case, or did a postal clerk let you go through the binder? My local (small) post office is so unhelpful anytime I want to see what they have.

3 Likes

No, they just had a b&w xerox of various stamps they still had taped on the counter of the Goldenrod, FL, post office.

1 Like

I encounter this way too frequently myself. It is USPS policy to cooperate with collectors, however. Speak with the postmaster next time.

2 Likes

Discontinued. Shouldn’t it say out of stock instead!

Damn lucky that I asked my friend in the US to buy me a sheet.

We still have the Charlie Browns in stock at my workplace. : )
Maybe call your local post office?