Unusual requests from postcrossers

Oh well, in these days everyone who wants to have my unpaid bills is welcome - the only thing is, they have to pay for it :smiley:

Joking aside, I would never in my life send something to a complete stranger that contains private data, with which they can harm me in many different ways.
The only thing I don’t know is if I should be more confused about people who who ask for such things or about people who are in too good faith and send it along without thinking twice.

14 Likes

It’s wild that you can do all these things with the electric bill in the US. :sweat_smile: That would never fly in Germany.

3 Likes

Well, as my father died two years ago it was enough to tell them his name and the number of his account at the power company. Only with this they send me the form for terminate the contract. Of course they also wanted to sign the landlord but this I could send “whenever I want”. I asked twice if they need the death certificate but no. I will believe this was just because it was in the middle of the first lockdown over here and everybody was confused.

On the other hand I had a bunch of problems to close his bank account even with all the needed papers like “Erbschein” etc. and “Vollmacht” (made years before) just because they forgot to delete my mother out of the bank Account (who died in '97).

4 Likes

some months ago i received a message from a cuban postcrosser who asked me to send him a 50 euro banknote, in return he would have sent me a lot of postcards :scream: at first i wanted to reply something like: “wait a moment that i pick one from the tree in my garden” :rofl: but then i simply replied i was not interested in that swap

13 Likes

I sent a card to someone who is asking single ladies to kiss the postcard with lipstick. I would have done it, but I’m not single :smile:

6 Likes

Perhaps you could write that you asked your single cat lady to kiss the card, but she rejected the lipstick. :rofl:

12 Likes

The electric bill would be acceptable for proof of residence, that you actually live at that address since the postal service presumably delivered it there. You would still need to provide proof of identity as well. Also, they are very strict that the bill must be the most recent one within the last month or two.

The last time I needed to reset my bank account PIN, they required to see my driver’s license, and then they had to send a code number to my phone number on their records, which I told the woman, who entered it on her screen, before they would start working on the new PIN.

So, it could be part of a larger identity theft attempt, but it is not something that enables a thief to do so by itself…

5 Likes

After reading this thread, I decided to add to my (already very long biography) for the user to draw me their favorite animal, or to attempt to draw me a frog or toad!

9 Likes

… or their electric bill? :rofl:

As long as they draw a frog on the electric bill :frog: :wink:

6 Likes

I’m writing some cards at the moment… someone is asking for little extra things in an envelope like photos of postcrossers, photos of their home or their room.

This is also a bit strange, I think. Of course, lots of us are sharing more or less private photos on social media… but nevertheless, I wouldn’t send a photo of myself or my room to a stranger to whom I’ll have a one-time contact.

6 Likes

So much trouble without IDs! Do you know why US don’t issue them? And when someone doesn’t have a driving licence and doesn’t pay electric bills, how does he prove his identity?

Sorry for the offtopic, I find it too interesting :smile:

1 Like

It is a matter for each state to issue identification. One can get an official ID without being able to drive.

1 Like

Ooh what all did they have? I’m curious now :rofl:

Recently I got a profile asking for cards with natural disasters, like volcanoes or floods… and I had this one!

Also, someone asking for graveyards and statues inside churches… so I sent them this tomb.

In both cases I’d had the cards for years, as I wouldn’t send them randomly… so I think its good to have unusual requests, as long as there are some more common ones too. :blush:

13 Likes

I think it’s unusual indeed to have postcards around catastrophes, esp ‘recent’ ones. Was this a very ‘historic’ flood or reason for some river regulation or why do you think this cards was made?

Guess the Lisboa earthquake of 1755 might have triggered some paintings, but even that would be hard to find on a card (and of course there are tensions between certain cities, sometimes).

So it really was worth keeping the card for the right recipient.

(Graveyards / statues can be difficult too, but (local) catastrophies is esp. hard, imho)

I got this card as part of a pack of reprints of 100year old-ish cards showing the city of Porto. Most cards are more positive though! :blush:

Until fairly recently the river Douro would flood the riverfront once in a while. People were more or less prepared for it. So, (and just a personal speculation) I think maybe in a time when people couldn’t document events themselves, postcards would work as a way of showing what their lives were also like sometimes. (As in, not always nice…) :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yes, it’s rare to see recent disaster postcards, but years ago, they were quite common. Of course, decades ago, newspapers weren’t able to publish photographs, so one of the few ways that people could see pictures of disasters was via postcards.

9 Likes

Recently, I’ve gotten profiles where people want only postcards of European royal families or rainforests. I just send those people my “ugly” cards.

4 Likes

So you didn’t have at least one postcard of a royal family in a rainforest?

17 Likes