Unpopular opinion: Am I the only one that dislikes world postcard day?

Lol, I didn’t know there is a wonderful weirdos day or a cheeseburger day lol. I do like international cat day because I have a cat, but I hear what you’re saying about there being another something day.

2 Likes

If you are afraid of receiving same postcards celebrating WPD, you can always deactivate your account or set it to travel mode for a month or two.

4 Likes

Well now you know, don’t forget to congratulate your wonderful weirdos tomorrow! I also didn’t know about this day, now I know… Maybe, just maybe I can get some acceptance and love tomorrow.

But yeah, basically I think it’s quite the miracle when it’s a…normal day?

@holeanta thanks that’s worth considering!

1 Like

If you had it designed by a card maker in Chicago, I’m sure yours will be special! I just wouldn’t be happy to receive the official one x10.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m not big on the day as well. But I observe the excitement many postcrossers have about the day. Lot of creativities for the designs, a good time for postcrosser who are artsy to join and express their arts, lots of meet-ups, special cancellation marks etc. Even for a one themed celebration day everyone finds what excites them more. So their joys kinda made me excited a bit too and consider myself to attend local meet-up

I didn’t participate last year, but surprisingly one of my very first card was a WPD 2021 card. I take it as good omen. I’m not big on requesting official cards for the badge, probably one or two depends on the slot I have, I share the excitement more on the forum (those whom I chat with here) and I have different cards (non official ones for them) to avoid duplication

3 Likes

Since International Dog Day (August 26, 2022) came and went with nary a peep from any Postcrossers, I’m in no mood to hear about W.P.D. (I can’t even bear to write it out). However, I must admit that some Polish Postcrossers did, in fact, at least partially restore my faith in humanity after they had scheduled a Postcrossing meeting on the same day as International Dog Day in 2021.

22 August 2021 - International Dog Day meeting in Piaseczno - Meetups / Poland - Postcrossing Community

3 Likes

Yes I have seen some people creating beautiful designs! It’s not that I hate them all. I just am afraid I end up with 10 of the official one haha.

1 Like

Haha, I would actually totally love that, in my profile I have: Grim reapers, or depictions of death.
Dios de Muertos would be a perfect fit!

1 Like

I dont think that it will happen to end up with 10 the same cards. Yes it is world postcard day but I am sure that the majority of the people dont even have the postcards. The chances that 10 people draw your name that have those cards are slim. I did order some postcards myself but made sure to order other postcard day cards instead of the official one. I got two officials from poatcrossing for free and will send them, but do remember that the postcard day is not only a postcrossers thing. The card that you talk about was designed by postcrossing. There are hundreds of other postcard day cards out there. I have 9 different designs here at my place waiting for 1th of october. Honestly I would say dont worry :slight_smile: It would more be a rarity to receive 2 of the same cards than fact.

6 Likes

I agree about receiving the same cards … but hey here’s what I can send instead of the official WDP card.

Best regards
Sagar

8 Likes

Ok i get it, i didn’t get it, but i get it NOW! I still was not sure about this post card day, I was not even going to print my own card as I thought everyone would want multiples of the winners…….so appreciate seeing everyone’s opinion….

I really enjoyed ALL the replies, life would be so dull if everyone liked the same thing, what would all of us creative peeps do ?

1 Like

Perhaps people who feel strongly about it can state on their profiles if they like or do not like to receive WPD cards? That would be helpful to me, as I did buy some to send out this year. It’d be nicer all round to send them to recipients who’d enjoy them.

Newer Postcrossers might also appreciate receiving WPD cards from years past. Every so often I one that predates my time on Postcrossing, and I really appreciate it!

But in general I’m happy to see any card that celebrates any special day, especially if it’s a weird one. For example, September 19 is Talk Like a Pirate Day :pirate_flag: which for me ranks up there with Pi π Day and Groundhog Day.

9 Likes

That’s not strange, don’t worry. People here usually celebrate Lunar New Year’s Day, but many people (especially the younger) just regard it as a ordinary day. They spent their holiday traveling or just have fun at home alone, rather than reunion with their relatives. It’s not strange to be tired of common festivals. Though many people are celebrating, you can choose not to join in.:relaxed: By the way, maybe you can add “No more WPD official cards” and a piece of friendly explaining in your profile? So that they may send you other cards. That won’t influence the process of achieving the badge.

2 Likes

@Izzy2018 I got Pennsylvania cards from the same Chicago company. I really like them.

1 Like

I had copies of Postcrossing’s card printed and will be sending them to my friends, none of whom are Postcrossers, but all of them who are supportive of my love for it. I did the same the last two years, but with cards from other sources.

It’s interesting that several of my friends have started to send cards to me when they’re out of town. Postcarding can be contagious!

4 Likes

I like the idea of the day but I don’t want to receive any cards on the theme. For that reason I’m going to keep my account inactive on the day.

1 Like

No. You are not alone.

I am generally deeply dislike “World Days” because they are limiting our awareness of important matters for only one day. And I honestly feel there are too much “World Days” for every this and that. The matters that need our everyday attention have to “compete” with them for get the deserved portion of attention.

But last year, I really feel that World Postcard Day is really exciting and wanted to enjoy WPD by actively participating. However, after seeing this year’s theme, my excitement quickly went down. No special plans for this year.

I love looking at the various World Postcard Day postcard designs, but I really don’t like getting duplicate postcards either, so I generally don’t print and mail the postcard design that wins the first place.

Very beautiful postcards! I wouldn’t be able to throw it away!

I like that there is a day that brings awareness about postcards. People outside of Postcrossing may pay attention to it. How people want to celebrate it is up to them. Personally, I don’t have the energy to mass mail postcards for one particular event.

The first time WPD was held, I couldn’t draw any official addresses because India couldn’t participate on Postcrossing. I did, however, make a card for that day and mailed it to a friend. Last year I got the official WPD card twice, it wasn’t boring because the message was different but I also wouldn’t want to receive a lot of them in a short span.

1 Like