Unique material, Unusual Postcard, Lenticular/3D

I love your collection of unique postcards, @KoJep–but my favorite part about this is your enthusiasm for receiving them! :partying_face:

It can be very disheartening to see so many profiles with “no handmade cards,” “no ad cards,” “no free cards,” etc., because there are so many creative and beautiful “non-traditional” postcards that I fear they are missing out on some really amazing mail masterpieces–but not you! :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Thanks @PinkNoodle for your support. I receive many unique and interesting postcard from an ad card, a handmade and many things. Sometimes i wish a diamond in the garbage (that people dont like those).
And i love the story on it surely.

4 Likes

A sound postcard is one of my wishlist too. I never get it.

My daughter recieved this super cool wooden postcard from the USA :smiley:

9 Likes

These are so cool @KoJep ! Congrats on your collecting!

I’d love to know which ones came with envelope or package vs the ones that just made it through the postal systems without any protection.

There are chocolate postcards, but I don’t know how well they’d do travelling all the way to Indonesia though.

9 Likes

Here in Germany we have something called “Dosenpost” (tin/can post).

And “Flaschenpost” (message in a bottle).

grafik

Both formats can be mailed through normal mail (1,45 € domestic, 3,70 € international).

30 Likes

In Indonesia we have coffee postcard

https://www.tokopedia.com/tokokopituku/sapadenganrasa-tetangga-tuku-fs

35 Likes

As a coffee lover I would feel like in heaven if I found one in my mailbox. But I suppose it’s quite expensive.

4 Likes

While the chocolate postcard in the link above is USD 9.9, this coffee postcard only costs you USD 1.07 and since the weight is above 20 grams you need to put USD 0.64 - USD 1.14 stamps (depends on destination).
You know what they say, everything is cheap in South East Asia :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Actually $9.99 Canadian so about $7.80 US, lol and to mail it from Canada you’d need to add $2.71 plus the weight probably closer to $4-5 Cdn.

1 Like

Oh, and I have a batch of postcards made of coffee paper. The paper is made from 40 % recycled paper, 30 % certified cellulose and 30 % recycled coffee grounds.

20 Likes

Leaf postcard in New Zealand

18 Likes

I didn’t know they had wooden post cards till my daughter sent me one for my birthday last year. I then went threw my old collection of post cards and found my son received a wooden post card from Lithuania for his birthday from his god mother. I then started to actually look for them and I have found that they are available here in Canada. I’ll save those for a special trades.
I talked to my postal outlet ladies (they know me quite well) and they would hand stamp the post card in the lower corner of the stamp when I send post them. They also hand stamp any special post cards I’m sending if I have unique stamps on them!

5 Likes

@KoJep @_Hawkwind_ Oh! I received a sound card recently— it’s awesome!

12 Likes

So just to be clear, is the only way to play it is on a turntable right?

Yes, you can only play it on a turntable (record player). The card has a clear plastic/vinyl coating with record grooves in it. Impossible to see in the photo, but you can see the hole in the center for the turntable spindle.

In the 1960’s/70’s, cereal boxes sometimes had this type of sound record on the back. When you finished the box of cereal you could cut out the record and play it on your hi-fi turntable.

9 Likes

@KoJep Thank you so much for sharing your collection! I had no idea there were so many unusual types of postcards in the world. And it’s really heartwarming to see how many people are happy to send unusual cards if possible. This is part of what makes Postcrossing so special! :blush:

4 Likes

This is great, thank you for sharing @KoJep ! I am impressed with what you’ve collected and with the other examples posted… Now I just wish I didn’t live in Australia where so many of these (wooden, leather, leaf, coffee) would almost certainly be confiscated by Customs! :sob:

Probably the most outrageous thing I’ve sent was a large piece of craft foam cut in the shape of a cockatoo, which had a small magnetic card attached to its belly… and it arrived intact to my friend in the USA! I haven’t seen them in the shop lately but there were all sorts of Aussie animals to choose from at the time. They also had cards with pieces to punch out and assemble to make a 3D animal.

6 Likes

Yes, I remember those from the 60s & 70’s, but back then everyone had turntables, today some do, but many do not sadly.

1 Like

I actually received a magnolia leaf postcard from Tunisia, but during the travel the stamp fell off, so I just have a leaf now)))

16 Likes