U.S. Postcard stamps - Did you know?

Hello Postcrossers -

I have been a user since 2018, and have mailed over 170 postcards.

You can laugh at me, and i’ll take it. Or call me a shame. But I just REALIZED there is such thing as U.S. POSTCARD STAMPS that cost way less than a normal U.S. domestic stamp.

Just wanted to put this out there just in case there are users that don’t want to admit it and didn’t know about this.

Bye!!!

9 Likes

Until I began Post crossing last year , I had not really paid attention to stamps unless I needed to purchase some, and just picked the pretty ones I liked at the local post office. Now I have quite a collection going and yes, really use the postcard stamps and global forever. Its becoming expensive!

1 Like

Postcard stamps are good though. They’re a bit cheaper overall

2 Likes

They’re great. I usually get an entire roll of 100 at a time to last me a while.

1 Like

Do note that those postcard specific stamps are only good for the domestic rate, i.e. sending a postcard to an address within the United States. The rate for any first class item (letter or postcard, up to one ounce) sent internationally is $1.20, and you can use any combination of stamps to achieve that (although there is a round stamp specifically for that purpose).

6 Likes

There’s also a size limit for postcard rate. So I was making my own postcards (with the cardboard that comes with stamp sets when I order online – recycling!). And those cardboard bits are above the size for the postcard stamp, so you have to use the regular stamp.
According to USPS.com:
No more than 4-1/4 inches high x 6 inches long x 0.016 inches thick

I’ve been enjoying the fish and the barns for the postcard stamps. Which is your favorite?

1 Like

I like the seashell postcard stamps for 2016, I still have a few which I use only for cards to myself sister who collects seashells.

2 Likes

You may not be the only one who didn’t know: I just got a nice hurray message from a US Postcrosser letting me know I didn’t need to put a Forever stamp on the postcard I sent. I’m sure I’m not the first Postcrosser they’ve told.

It was a kind thought, to try to save me money on postage — but I’m a big fan of making the stamp match the card, so I use Forevers on domestic all the time… :blush:

4 Likes

I like the new barn stamps better than the fish

6 Likes

I know this is months old, but I JUST NOW learned about postcard stamps and now I feel dumb haha. You realized a lot sooner than I did!

4 Likes

I’ve been using forever stamps on a few postcards because I thought I ran out of postcard stamps. As I cleaned up the office this weekend, I found 2 more sheets of the coral postcard stamps! Guess I had a few after all. But I still have to watch the postcard size. :slight_smile:

You know the best part? That forever postcard stamp - currently all .44 cents of it - can be used to send a postcard to US Territories, too, like:

• Puerto Rico
  • Guam
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • United States Minor Outlying Islands
  • Virgin Islands of the USA
  • American Samoa
  • Micronesia
  • Marshall Islands
  • Palau

Basically, you can use the domestic rate for the territories, too, for all other mail FYI.

4 Likes

I have this information clearly posted on my profile but most cards I get from US mainland come with US global stamps(1.40), sometimes a forever and rarely a postcard stamp.

1 Like

Maybe there should be a separate thread to spread the word among US Postcrossers.

Similar to the thread/poll @paulo did for Canadians:
Special Rate From Canada to US

I’m using a US One Dollar stamp and a postcard stamp on International cards for a total of $1.44 USD.

1 Like