Travel Mode ✈️ Destinations - Questions - Opinions

Sorry to hear this. The hotel I stayed in two years ago did connect to a San Marino IP, so I didn’t have any problems with Travel mode. A couple of restaurants where I had lunch or dinner also had a local WiFi connection.

Asking for future reference, for the wonderful, hypothetical day I get to travel somewhere really interested - how far in advance does this need to be? Thanks

2 Likes

About a week before is enough advance notice! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In San Marino there is also free wifi internet out on the street.

My first postcard sent from Nauru arrived today!

20 Likes

Wow I’ve never seen such a low number before!
Well done!
Perhaps you could post this here

2 Likes

Yes! NR -7, -8, and -9 are still traveling but will hopefully arrive soon

2 Likes

I made a rookie mistake in Montenegro earlier this week.
Found a postoffice, checked the opening hours, drew 6 addresses, wrote the cards and next day went to the postoffice again - it was closed! No problem, will check it next day. After trying to get in 4 postoffices in 3 different towns opened Google and found out that there is a strike going on in Montenegro Post. :sob:
Now I’ve broken my own personal rule number 1 with travel mode - I sent the cards from Croatia with Croatian stamps. Hopefully the recipients won’t mind.

8 Likes

In many countries you can buy stamps from convenience stores or from tourist shops.
Could that perhaps be a solution?

1 Like

Did you draw NR-1 to NR-6 as well?

Sadly no. I drew NR 7-23
Someone else drew 1-6 but I don’t know who it is or If they ever nailed the postcards because none of them have been registered.

6 Likes

I asked from a couple and they didn’t sell stamps. Missed home then as you can buy stamps in supermarkets in Finland. :see_no_evil:
But lesson learnt - in the future I won’t draw any addresses on travel mode before I have local stamps in my hands. :joy:

5 Likes

Last time in Montenegro I visited a Post office, went outside and used wifi to get addresses and wrote the cards at the scene. Just to make sure I had stamps and a way to mail the cards.

I did not have success locating stamps or a postal office in the Bahamas a couple years ago. I had to mail the written cards from the USA, with the ID of the Bahamas… Did not enjoy that.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help with this. We have now managed to get the IDs that we were looking for.
The key is, I think, to be organised beforehand and to liaise with Ana to let her know what you want to do.
For us, it was the first time to use Travel Mode. We will be more prepared in future if we want to use it again.

1 Like

A recent trip to Florence found me searching for post boxes! This is the main city post office with blocked off boxes!

8 Likes

Hi! I have a question about travel mode and hope it wasn’t asked yet!
I’m traveling abroad next month. How will travel mode affect the setting “Check if you would like to also send and receive postcards to and from your own country.” Is it still deciding if I want to send postcards to Germany (in my case) or not; or does it automatically apply to the country I’m going to visit?

1 Like

Your address will stay as Germany, however for the duration you are in travel mode, your address can’t be drawn by others.

Postcrossing thinks of “your country” as the country of your address — not the one you’re traveling in. So if you choose to activate the setting of exchanging postcards with your own country (Germany), then you should still receive addresses in Germany even when on Travel Mode.

6 Likes

I was curious, good to know. Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

It’s so cool. Get a postcard from such a far away place. I hope to visit Fiji one day. This is my dream.

1 Like