Travel Mode ✈️ Destinations - Questions - Opinions

Alternatively, you can buy a local SIM card, topup and get online that way. In some countries, e.g. Anguilla, I am told by @pjsubway it’s the only way, because many hotel/resort servers (and hence wifi) are centralised in US.

Or contact Postcrossing Staff in advance to have them manually set your location to Anguilla with this explanation and your travel plans.

3 Likes

What do you guys think about using travel mode in your own country? I’m going on a day trip tomorrow and I’m thinking about using travel mode to send a card or two from there. It will still be in Austria, just not Vienna. Worth it?

3 Likes

I like seeing the tiny houses for the places I visited and sent postcards from on my postcard map.
Other than that, it’s barely worth it for the stats, since Austria is a small country. It’s your choice. :wink:

3 Likes

Some people like to do it to have the true location, distance etc. I personally care only about country level statistics so I don’t do it. I send postcards with views from not only my city, but the whole country anyway… It really is up to you what you like.

1 Like

I do it all the time. During summer vacations in 2020-2022, which I spent entirely in Poland, I used travel mode for every location visited (basically every day something different).

5 Likes

I’ve shown this image on the topic before, but I loved putting that little house in the middle of the ocean and I’m very fond of it.

It’s technically still inside my country… just a bit far. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I do. I think it’s fun to see the little houses pop up on the map so I can see where I’ve mailed postcards from. The United States is quite large though so the travel distance can be very different depending on where you are.

5 Likes

I used travel mode only once so far, in London during a short trip. Sent 3 postcards, 2 are still on the way. Hoping that they will arrive soon. :slight_smile:
I really love travel mode btw. I am planning to travel soon as well and browsing postcards is one of my favorite things to do. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for the input everybody. I decided to browse the options and decide on the spot. Found a beautiful view card that will hopefully make the recipient happy. I was in Gmunden (not far from famous Hallstatt), which is roughly 230km away from Vienna (where I live). So not a huge distance.

I will be using travel mode I my own country in connection with a meet-up on WPD as it is in another part of the country as to where I live.
It’s nice to get a house somewhere else on the map.
Just need to remember to set my account as active again after taking out addresses that day.

3 Likes

I was in Germany in May and used TM. When almost all of my cards went to Russia, I realized I hadn’t sent to Russia in a long time, and then I checked USPS’s website and found out we can’t mail to Russia.

1 Like

I had no problem using travel mode in Uzbekistan. There was wifi in every accomodation I used. There is also public wifi at train stations but it requires a phone number and it didn’t work with foreign numbers. I travelled the major tourist destinations - Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva and Samarkand was by far the easiest to find and send postcards, at least in the tourist parts. It would be quite difficult in other places.

4 Likes

All my cards from Luxembourg arrived :luxembourg:

7 Likes

Has anyone tried Travel Mode on Norfolk Island?
We get a message that Postcrossing cannot verify that we are on Norfolk … I assure you we are.
We’ve spoken to the telecoms people and they say that the internet provision is a range of services out of either Australia or New Zealand … not helpful for us at all.
We’ve tried half a dozen WiFi connections and all say the same.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that you might be able to send a message to Postcrossing directly and they can manually change it for you :thinking:

2 Likes

Same problem here

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/not-able-to-send-cards-on-travel-mode/681789?u=fotis

@missmelbourne I know you’ve managed this…how did you solve the issue? :blush:

1 Like

Hiya!

You definitely won’t be able to get the wifi to show you in Norfolk Island.

What you’ll need to do is go to the council offices (behind where the farmers market is held, next to the information centre, ask them for directions if you get stuck).

They sell a tourist sim for $30 to put in your phone/device. Use that instead of your Australian sim and make sure you turn off wifi and only use mobile data.

It does suck but unfortunately the only option. I’ve spent a lot of time on Norfolk so let me know if you have other questions or need more info!

Edit: I guess if you felt brave/cheeky and you get friendly with any locals on the island, you could ask to borrow their phone just to log on and pull the addresses. The main thing is that you need to use a Norfolk Island sim — tourist or local — rather than wifi.

6 Likes

You can write to @meiadeleite and temporarily change you home country to Norfolk Island, after you have left the island she will manually change it back to your usual country. That’s what she wrote me when I asked about Svalbard (which has only norwegian wifi). Unfortunatly our ship could not dock there that day because of too strong winds :frowning:

4 Likes