Tell us more about your definitive stamps

Our current low rate definitives aren’t bad, but the new one for domestic first class mail is really uninspired.

13 Likes

The puzzle aspect is ruined by the QR-matrix. Total failure here !

7 Likes

I didn’t even understand that there was a “puzzle effect” :sweat_smile: Thanks for explaining!

2 Likes

Ireland:
2023 - according to Colnect no definitives, because now we have ATM labels.

2022:

2017-21 this series of objects

2016 special issue

And before that 2012-2015 there were very nice animals, that are not sold anymore:

And before, there was a big set of very cool flowers; some are even still available on anpost, but just a few.

@HirokoDaisy in case you haven´t seen this thread, you might be interested :slight_smile:

15 Likes

This is Philippine Post’s latest set of definitives, featuring regional languages:

Before this, we had shells (2020/2021):

Before that, we had flowers (2018/2019):

And even before that, we had fruits (2015/2016/2017):

Mailing centers, which I understand are privately owned franchises of the post office, have their own definitives that look like this:

The fruits and the mailing centers are my favorites. Not a fan of the most recent designs :confused:

Pics are from http://www.philippinestamps.net/default.htm#Default2013 !

16 Likes

In India, we have a series of definitive stamps. In general, I don’t like Indian definitives, very dull colours and little to no detailing. Even new defivities look like they are from 30-40 years ago. I never use them on any of my mail.

Currently, we are in series 11 named “Builders of Modern India”. The list includes politicians, artists, scientists, freedom fighters and some great kings from the medieval era. I am not a fan of these, as I don’t like personality stamps.

Series 11 - Builders of Modern India 2

Series 10 - Builders of Modern India 1

Series 9 - Flora and Fauna

7 Likes

Wow the birds are great. Remind me a lot of the old HK definitive stamps

2 Likes

In Serbia, definitive editions are not issued specifficaly as named series, but designs lead to conclusuon that there are some series. Since 2006 we had a few series. Many of them were reissued.
These stamps are not very inspirative to me. I don’t like very much the current biggest series of flowers and fruits, since they are not ilustrations but pictures. I have to use definitive stamps and it is useful with low face values stamps to reach apropriate postage, since there are no stamps that cover full airmail postage for any country.

State symbols definitives (2006-2009)

Flowers (2007)

Sights (2007)

Museum exibits (2009-2018)

Prominent Serbs (2014-2019)

Children’s online safety (2019-)

Herbs and fruits (2019-)

Also there were some stamps that can’t be fit in those series. These stamps were depicting some sights, digitalisation and covid-19 vaccination.

Snimak ekrana 2023-06-03 233156

Currently are available: all Children’s online safety stamps, all herbs and fruits except 1 RSD lavender stamp, 23 RSD Nikola Tesla stamp from Prominent Serbs series, 27 RSD Žiča monastery, 30 RSD St. Sava temple and 3 RSD vaccination stamp.

8 Likes

These are the ones for Slovakia :slovakia: I found:

11 Likes

India
1st Definitive series of india

2nd Definive series of india

3rd Definitive series of india

6 Likes

Here are Malaysia’s National Definitives:

1965 Birds

1970 Butterflies

1979 Wildlife

1986 Fruit

2010 Garden Flowers

2017 Orchids

2020 Marine Life

16 Likes

Adding on to previous post, from Malaysia:

2018- Wild orchids (rarely used for postage)

2016-2018: International Definitives (when GST was implemented in Malaysia for a few years)

8 Likes

We have these flying fish stamps :

(From https://www.accp-asso.com/post/chut-c-est-un-secret)
The blue one is for domestic mail, the red one is for France and other French territories. I never use them. I didn’t even know they existed until about ten years ago :sweat_smile: - when you ask stamps in post offices, they give you the commemorative ones. I reluctantly used the 5 XPF ones only once - when prices rose and OPT hadn’t issued new 5 XPF commemorative stamps yet.
You can see more definitive stamps here : What are your country's current definitives?

6 Likes

Thank you for letting me know this.
It is interesting for me.

2 Likes

Adding one more definitive issue from Malaysia :

Malaysia 1986 Agro Based series ( 14 states ). Below is a complete set :

We can find 1 sen, 2 sen stamp until the middle of 2000s. After that they are all gone from post office.

3 Likes

The latest definitive stamps released in Ukraine (10th series, “Pysanky”) show Easter eggs from various regions of Ukraine.

First issue in the 2010ths

2017-2022: 9th series “Coats of arms of cities, towns and villages of Ukraine

зображення

2012-2016: 8th series “Leaves

First issue in the 2000ths

2007-2012: 7th series “Common items

зображення

зображення

That one has reprinted value - from 0,01 UAH to 2 UAH

зображення

2001/2002-2006: 5th and 6th series “Flowers

This stamp block is called the “5th and 6th series of definitive stamps” and I’m not sure what is so different between the two.

First issue in the 1990ths

1995-2006: 4th series “City transport

This series is the smallest of all. It features only 3 stamp types.

зображення

зображення

зображення

1993-1993/1994-2001 3rd and 2nd series "Ethnographic stories «Ancient Ukraine»

We’re getting closer and closer to the formation of modern Ukrposhta.

3rd series was a continuation of 2nd series. For some stamps small, but very important in the economic context of this time change - the value of the stamp was no longer displayed as number. Inflation of the Ukrainian currency had reached in 1994 year state where smallest karbovanets banknote in use was 100, and a year later 1000 krb. In the new series value of the stamp wasn’t fixed and stamps were usable after the 1996 transition from karbovanets to modern hryvnia.

200 000 karbovanets banknote

зображення
2nd series - stamp with value 100 krb.

зображення
3rd series - stamp with the letter “Є” (“Ye”)

:confetti_ball: 16.05.1992 - 1st series of postal stamps in independent Ukraine - “Allegory «Young Ukraine»

The drawing made by Heorhii Narbut originally was used for a stamp with a value of 0,3 Ukrainian People’s Republic’s hryvnia (18.06.1918). Notably, these stamps weren’t used only for postal services, but also instead of coins.

There is much more to tell about the postal stamps of Ukraine before and after independence from the USSR, but I would recommend you to look at Ukrainian Wikipedia’s article about that: Direct link, Translated to English with Google.

6 Likes

Here in the Netherlands we recently got new definitive stamps

These for domestic use:

And these for international:

They feature different things that are associated with Dutch culture and are a sequel of sorts to the definitives from 2014, which if you are a longtime Postcrosser you have probably seen at least the international version of these, which are now slowly being phased out:

There are also some other definitives, such as these love stamps and birth stamps:

Also these stamps used for mail when someone has passed away:

And last but not least, there is this one for bigger mail pieces, called an XL stamp:

9 Likes

WOW! Thanks to everyone here making an effort by not only showing your definitive stamps (and how they changed over time) but also giving us cultural, political and historical context. So many things in this world to learn about…

Appreciating all of your contributions. :blush: :+1:

4 Likes

Where I live, Belgium, it’s a monarchy so the definitives are generally depicting the king:

Philippe, the current one

Albert II, his father
Baudoin
and Baudoin 1st, Philippe’s uncle

And until few years ago, they had also birds definitive series drawn by Buzin:

6 Likes

The difinitive stamps in Thailand are usually issued with the portrait of the king or other Thailand identity symbols.

HM The King Rama IX (9th Series / Navy uniform) - issued in 1996-2011

HM The King Rama IX (10th Series / Air Force uniform) - issued in 2010-2016
(After HM the King Rama IX passing in 2016, many stamps of this series were used by Thailand Post for making a memorial postcard after that. This series has become rare.)

HM The King Rama X (1st Series / Air Force uniform) - issued in 2018
Thailand Post has started issuing the definitive stamps with other pictures since 1997.

Lotus stamps (without numeral value, but it can use for send a domestic letter which not exceed 20g) [1997]

New design of definitive stamps [2003]

Thai Pavilion definitive stamps [2017]
The definitive stamp series was issued while Thailand Post was waiting for new definitive stamps with the portrait of the king, issued a year later. (All of postage stamps issued in Thailand with the portraits of the monarch must always be granted by the royal permission before printing.)
This series was reprinted, and printed for the additional denomination (e.g. 15, 20, 25 and 30 baht for use in postal services.

4 Likes