[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

I do normally if NOT using International economy
Not sure its necessary but they add to the look of the card.

3 Likes

I use them when sending via airmail :airplane::postbox:

2 Likes

I generally write “INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY £2.20” as my handwriting is small and I send large cards, but I’ve also sent cards with nothing extra and they’ve arrived without issue.

2 Likes

I use them most of the time when sending via airmail. Not because it’s needed, but instead because I think it’s adds an extra touch.
I’ve forgotten a few times, or sometimes I don’t have space and it doesn’t make a difference to delivery time :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thought I’d pop back in with a small update - the postcards I sent to Australia by international economy from rather far-flung places in the UK only took about a week to arrive, which is much quicker than things sent by standard airmail, in my experience. For example, I sent a postcard to myself from the island Iona, and it arrived here in Australia in eight days, beating me home. Yet letters sent to me from family and penpals in the UK by standard mail usually take four weeks. Very strange indeed :laughing:

11 Likes

The Postcrossing community is great!

5 Likes

I’ve just spotted this on the Norvic blog: Norvic Philatelics Blog: ALL values of Datamatrix Machins to be withdrawn 1 June 2024 - last chance to buy.

Ian asks and answers: “What does this mean? Well if you prefer the Queen’s portrait to the King’s you need to buy now!”

It’s the end of an era, folks!

4 Likes

:cry:

I had a slight panic then, thinking all the Queen ones had to be USED by June! :astonished:

2 Likes

Fortunately not! We can still use our Elizabeth II datamatrix Machins!

I do hope however that a better portrait of Charles III is created for stamps, knowing that the current portrait was designed for coinage. Too much to ask though, I’m sure!

3 Likes

It’s a bad design that doesn’t make it absolutely crystal clear how much it’s worth. Compare with this one from 1975.

2 Likes

Airmail stickers are pointless as all international post from the UK goes by air.

1 Like

Royal Mail set to agree to £3.5billion sale to West Ham United FC owner | City & Business | Finance | Express.co.uk

Not sure if this would be a good or a bad thing?

2 Likes

Update - I just had a postcard reach China in 24 days:

10 Likes

I had one get there in 9 days back in February, the recipient said it must have come by rocket! It’s a mystery why travel times vary so greatly. Other cards sent to the same person on the same day took a month! x

7 Likes

Yesterday I had a card arrive in Japan in under 7 days - no rhyme or reason !

3 Likes

My Japan cards often move fast, I just assumed that was normal, like Germany? I had a card arrive in Estonia today, it was only posted on Monday x

3 Likes

Actually, I just looked at my officials, received & sent and although one arrived in 5 days the others took longer. So it’s my personal swaps that have moved fast, I often find that, I have no idea why x

2 Likes

Couple of more recent comments on Norvic’s stamp calendar blog post The Latest News on GB stamps from Norvic Philatelics

“RM Advice note Dogs 06/06/2024 : Set £11 (10 stamps - 5x 2nd 5x 1st).”

“RM Advice note for ‘Red Arrows 60 Seasons’ 20/06/2024 : Set £13.40 (4x 1st & 4x £2), MS £7.70, PSB (YB119) £26.75. Costly enough without any extra items being produced.”

3 Likes

After the shocking cost of sending cards from Denmark a few months ago it is so nice to be sending from Japan which only costs just over 50p. It is a good feeling that I am saving £2 with every card I send!

11 Likes