[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

The first postcards have been written with £2.50 worth of stamp, ready to be posted on Wednesday. I discovered that some of the make up stamps I had before add up to £2.50, so there will be quite a few 5 stamp postcards going out:

And on smaller postcards, it’s going to have to be 4 stamps (there were no 30 pence stamps available when I ordered):

Once these are used up, I shall have to have a rethink… and see what options are available at Philatelink.

8 Likes

Yes, I thought the same, strange thing to have occured though. I never saw it before, D

This was the combination I used to make up £2.50 on today’s postcard. Suitably Scottish for an Edinburgh Castle postcard.

7 Likes

Hi Folks, with the rise to £2-50 i have vast amounts of really low value Commemorative stamps ( from old broken up collections ) that until now I’ve combined with a First and maybe a second class and managed to not completely swamp the Postcard leaving enough space for a decent message etc etc. I’m considering putting all my cards in envelopes to give me the space to use them up, eventually. I know some Postcrossers love the stamps, more the merrier, they are after all colourful and bright but some only like the card stamped, which I also prefer to receive generally. I’m in a real quandry over this as I really have a lot of these low values, up to about 39p. It seems a shame not to use them. Pics below you get the picture. Thoughts ?

7 Likes

Maybe you could swap some of them for different values with fellow Postcrossers?

Also, the As many stamps as you can fit tag awaits you :wink:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/as-many-stamps-as-you-can-fit-on-the-card-tag/18403

6 Likes

I am in exactly the same position so I’ve been trying to buy larger cards than the 10 x 15 cm. Until recently I’ve been annoyed to find a number of places don’t stock the smaller cards but now it suits me very well. I do also use envelopes whenever I think I can. It’s not just the number of stamps, but they tend to be quite big too.

5 Likes

Thank you, yes, you’re absolutely right but i have eons supply of cards mostly standard Postcard size, I gave up sending really old Vintage smaller cards as most Postcrossers seem to want modern themed cards. I dont need to buy any more cards apart from a few special quote ones from Etsy. I’ll start using envelopes , pack of 50 cheap at the car boot !! I just need to use up these low values and i know from the odd swap many Postcrossers love them, many were 10 times better than the photographic rubbish churned out the last few years.
This will go to the Czech Republic on Tuesday. Hope they like stamps !!! :joy:

6 Likes

10p overpaid, my maths !!

1 Like

Thank you, tag sounds good, perhaps i’ll try that too…

There’s also the 3+ stamp tag!

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/3-stamps-tag/1634

1 Like

I have just got back from Germany: I’ll miss the 95¢ postage! I’m stubbornly using £2.20 for cards I’m posting today :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Aside from the options others mentioned, another might be to just stick them on postcards anyway but write small (if you can). That’s what I did when I was sending from the UK. Here at some bad photos of cards I sent with lots of stamps and tiny writing, for example:

13 lines of text:

25 (short) lines of text:

13 lines of text:

11 Likes

I’ve been pondering the same, especially as postcards seem to be struggling to get through in some countries now.

3 Likes

1 x 1st class + 1 x 2nd = £2.20 International Economy rate.
Then add your lower denomination stamps, either 2 or 3 per card, for the extra 30 pence needed to send to Europe, £2.50.

Or 1 x 1st class + £1.15 worth of your stamps added together to make £2.50 (or 85 pence worth for international economy).

I would put them straight on the postcard because I like seeing them there

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, ill probably go with one First class and play jigsaw puzzles with enough low values to make up the extra £1-15. Of course it would help if I organised at least one stockbook by value starting at 1p and work up !! I’m going to try a few of the E stamps as i have quite a few with Freya Stark on , i know there was a conversation about E values a while ago. My local Postmistress and the amazing Postie here had never heard of them and i doubt the sorters will have either and i’d hate the recipient to get a surcharge so ill try a couple to German destinations as they arrive fast and see how i get on… I may annotate with “E value now valid to £2-50”
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Enjoy your Easter Monday, Derek

5 Likes

Hi!

I have treated myself to a stamp stock book to get my Postcrossing stamps organised. It is so much easier to now find stamps of the right value and with pictures of interest to the recipient.
Tomorrow, I am sending out two cards to Germany. One with an E stamp, the other with stamps adding up to £2:50. It will be interesting to see which is registered first.

8 Likes

Could you please share a link to where you got the stamp book? :blush:

3 Likes

It was an Uncle Paul stamp album stock book from Amazon. It has little see through pockets to put the stamps in. There are several different sizes depending on how many stamps you have. I’m pleased with it.

4 Likes

Thank you!

This post is really just my silent scream about the £2.50 rate. I can’t believe it. :confounded:

13 Likes